BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered the DL1 - K1200LT peg Relocation Kit wow what a difference that made I like it! however LOL now I need to find a longer Shift and break peddles.

I have what could only be described as flippers for feet I didn't think that shifting the pegs .75 forward would make all that much difference its workable but not comfortable.

Does anyone have a place that sells or idea on a work around for extending the shifter and break peddles?

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
I purchased the same about two weeks ago...Right before I took the experienced riders coarse...not a good idea. Messed around finding gears and lifting my foot to stop. it felt as if it was my first time riding. I just did my 24K service and adjusted both pedals. The gear shift is right were I need/want it after the adjustment. Took a few tries, but its an easy three bolt/two screw removal. As for the brake, we're both up [email protected]#$ creek. I searched the site and came up with nothing except making your own version. Which entails either a donor or scavenging yours. I did adjust it down as well, its not quite a high now. It will take some getting used to but I can rest my foot on the pedal without engaging the brake. something that I never do as not to drag on the brake. I will have to be retrained after all these years... Just don't let the wife know that's possible.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to know I'm not the only one with these problems LOL.....

Thinking you are correct about making our own did a search as well and didn't find anything both appear to be aluminum so I'm going to try to find a salvage job and then use those to make the new setup.

I need to drop both by 2" and extend both if I have my way by 2" thinking at the same time of swinging both an extra 1" away from the body of the bike or making the pad's larger to cover more area my large feet have a hard time finding the smallish pads (sigh) though on that point it might posse a problem with extreme cornering.

I do like having my leg's lowered though and your are right its like driving a new bike it has a completely different feel to it. LOL... I'm having a blast customizing my goblin

·
Registered
226 Posts
DL1 - Is this the Suburban Machinery item?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya its how its listed on their site, quick installation and it makes a big difference on how your knee's feel.

DL1 relocation Kit

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
You'll find that your (our) problem is exclusively with the brake. the gear shift can be both adjusted and lenghtened. My first attempt was to adjust the shift all the way out (you'll see when you get in there). Got on with my tennis shoes and all was good. With my boots on, that was a different story. Had to shift with the side of my boot. Went back in and adjusted it back in a bit and all was good. The connector is a simple threaded rod. If you need more, get a longer rod. although I doubt you'll need to...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that will make it easier ! I'll let you know what I find as far as the Brake arm goes should be just a quick plate and Weld job

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Go to the ILIUM website, they sell a brake lever that is lower and sticks out to the side more than stock-easy to find the brake pedal!. I have lowered floor boards and got the ILIUM brake lever/pedal and added an ILIUM oversized cover for the shift lever. Works great. Couldn't use the lowered floor boards without the ILIUM accessories. Check with ILIUM to see if their parts will work with lowered foot pegs, rather than the lowered floor boards.
Scott

·
Registered
70 Posts
I guess I feel like an idiot now..... I have owned my '99 for almost 2 weeks now, and only been able to ride about 500 miles. :(

I went today to buy the power cord connector for my Gerbing gear to plug in to the power receptical. Looking at the new '09 there, I discovered that I too had the extenders to lower and move the pegs forward a bit. I think I will try them in the stock position, but I fear I may have already gotten used to them where they are.

Let me know how you make out with the lever issue. I may need to do the same thing in the future.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gawd you people are Awesome!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's all right I've had mine all of two months so far and had no idea about the adjustment.... Now thanks to the awesome people here the peg problem has been resolved.

Ok so on to the next issue where to place a 6" LCD / dvd screen with 5.1 surround any idea's or thought's? :D

Busajets said:
I guess I feel like an idiot now..... I have owned my '99 for almost 2 weeks now, and only been able to ride about 500 miles. :(

I went today to buy the power cord connector for my Gerbing gear to plug in to the power receptical. Looking at the new '09 there, I discovered that I too had the extenders to lower and move the pegs forward a bit. I think I will try them in the stock position, but I fear I may have already gotten used to them where they are.

Let me know how you make out with the lever issue. I may need to do the same thing in the future.

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
In addition get the shift lever extender. It allows you to heel the pegs, and hang your foot out a bit and the shift lever is right there. It also allows balls of the feet on pegs and a very quick flick of the toe Very Nice item.

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2045

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL how embarrassing I saw that one but didn't put two and two together Thank you for pointing that out!

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
I lowered both pegs a while back and adjusted the shifter, but not the back brake. Sort of got used to using only the front brake and don't use the back brake at all. Since they are ABS, it seems to work OK. Am I setting my self up for a problem? It's been this way for more than 15,ooo miles...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was wondering the same thing this morning on the way to work right up until I went to use the brake peddle and completely missed the damn thing.....ok at least for me I think I'm going to get the extension. If it were just me on the bike all the time I could live with it but with growing plans on lot's of two up trips yaaaaa might not be a great idea.

dandiver said:
I lowered both pegs a while back and adjusted the shifter, but not the back brake. Sort of got used to using only the front brake and don't use the back brake at all. Since they are ABS, it seems to work OK. Am I setting my self up for a problem? It's been this way for more than 15,ooo miles...

·
Registered
509 Posts
dandiver said:
While the 02's do have ABS, it is NOT an integrated (or linked) system (separate circuits for front and rear). So unless you press on that rear brake pedal, you get no "squeeze" on the rear rotor. Should help rear brake pad life though!!...as well as tire life. Seriously though, I wouldn't exactly say you're setting yourself up for a problem (machanically speaking). However, not using the rear brake might be a bad habit to get into. We're creatures of habit...so when you need to make an emergency stop, you may not utilize all of your braking power...because you're used to not using the rears. Just a thought.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts