BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the sight and I can not find picts and or instructions on how to remove / replace front shock.. Ok I have taken off the appropriate tupperware and have located the top nut of the shock. Now the big question is how do I the shock out from the bike. Picts would be great thanks. By the way it is an 09

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I assume that you have figured out the strategy for the removal of the top and bottom mounting bolts. You will then need to remove the front wheel (with associated tupperware) and jack up the frame in the front of the bike high enough to allow Paralever to drop down far enough to give you clearance to actually get the shock out mounting area. I was able to get the shock out without removing the wheel (2005 LT), but ended up removing it any way to make the new shock install easier and to avoid damaging an expensive new shock. I'm sorry, but I did not take any pics of the process...but it's fairly straight forward.

Bob

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
grassman09 said:
I have searched the sight and I can not find picts and or instructions on how to remove / replace front shock.. Ok I have taken off the appropriate tupperware and have located the top nut of the shock. Now the big question is how do I the shock out from the bike. Picts would be great thanks. By the way it is an 09
There might be some pics in this thread.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,911 Posts
If you remove the front wheel and unbolt the brake lines from the sliders you can drop the front down far enough to reach up and remove the rubber donut. Then the shock will go back up in the hole far enough to clear the lower mount. Reinstallation is the reverse put the shock in without the donut and then put in the lower bolt. Reach up and install the donut and then secure the top nut.

·
Registered
322 Posts
... and don't drop the donut when you're reaching up there to put it on the new shock ...

·
Registered
322 Posts
kevincaron said:
I checked the shop manual and couldn't find shock r&r anywhere in the book?!?!?!

Look for "Removing and installing front suspension strut". I have it on page 31.17

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,911 Posts
I don't like the factory procedure as it has you undo the ball joint on the telelever. Green loctite is not fun to undo.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
jzeiler said:
I don't like the factory procedure as it has you undo the ball joint on the telelever. Green loctite is not fun to undo.
Just need enough thermal persuasion! :)

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
jzeiler said:
If you remove the front wheel and unbolt the brake lines from the sliders you can drop the front down far enough to reach up and remove the rubber donut. Then the shock will go back up in the hole far enough to clear the lower mount. Reinstallation is the reverse put the shock in without the donut and then put in the lower bolt. Reach up and install the donut and then secure the top nut.
That is exactly how I have done the last 20 or so front shock changes.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
saddleman said:
That is exactly how I have done the last 20 or so front shock changes.
Wow, you are rough on front shocks! :)

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Voyager said:
Wow, you are rough on front shocks! :)
I was told by the shop that rebuilt my Ohlin's (many times)that they have never seen anyone wear out front shocks like I do. What ever that means.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,911 Posts
saddleman said:
I was told by the shop that rebuilt my Ohlin's (many times)that they have never seen anyone wear out front shocks like I do. What ever that means.
It is caused by all the, low speed in 5th gear, driving you do!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts