BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 08 K1200LT and noticed that when it warms up that I only feel hot air exiting the right front fairing.
At home I got out the shop light and noticed that the left fan (as I sit on the bike) blows air inbound and toward the ambient air temp. sensor under the front nose fairing---thus explaining the rapid outside air temp spike when the fans come on.

Is this correct or was my bike built during OktoberFest?

Doug
Houston, Tx

:eek2: :bmw:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,593 Posts
When the fans do kick in they should both be blowing back out the side of the fairing (i.e sucking air back through the radiators). If you only have one blowing and it sounds like it was wired backwards, then you need to go back to the dealer and have him sort it out under warranty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you 100% sure that both fans blow outward on the 2008 models?

The dealer may be a little problem since I installed my own CB. They indicated that I must have a disconnected wire, but if so the fan would not run at all. Furthermore, every connector that I disconnected was keyed, thus making it improbable that I reversed a connection.

In addition, I have noticed that since I bought the 08 K1200LT that the outside ambient temp display jumps into the 100 degree range when the radiator fans kick in...as would be the case with the left fan blowing hot air into the nose fairing (where the ambient air temp sensor is located.

:bmw:

·
Registered
577 Posts
is the fan reversed. put in backwards.

Or maybe this is an innovation for a little extra thrust in reverse.

just trying to help

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
I do not think that the fan can be wired backwards, you only have a positive and negative wire. It had to be installed backwards. Unless something changed on the 08 models, both fans should be blowing back towards the rider. I think that you got the OktoberFest bike!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just got back from a blistering hot ride here in south Texas.
Both fans on My 08 push back towards the rider.

Ed

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dealer fixed the problem. Ordered new fan and installed it (under warranty).
Engine stays much cooler (even in the 95-100 degree heat in Houston)..Fans do not engage near as frequently.

Used Wild West Honda/BMW in Houston---was concerned because they have one BMW mechanic and he was going on a week or two vacation.

Don't understand some of the dealers....why don't they have someone crosstrained on the BMWs? They just expect us customers to wait?

This treatment really pushes home why so many BMW owners do their own maintenance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts