BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an 08 final drive on ebay at a reasonable price , with 20,876 miles on it. My question is: will it work on an 02 lt?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
olddog1946 said:
I found an 08 final drive on ebay at a reasonable price , with 20,876 miles on it. My question is: will it work on an 02 lt?
Why not rebuild yours?
96K on my origional 02 FD and begining to think rebuild but I do have an 03 spare off a trike conversion just in case.
When/if you change FD be sure to change Pivot Bearings also.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I have a low mileage PRE-05 FD that I would trade for the '08 if you would like, just under 20k on it. That would give me a spare for my '05 and a compatible FD for your scoot.

PM for contact details if you want to discuss further.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Nope. Just checked the microfiche. 2004 and up uses a different case. I believe the difference is that 2003 and before use a speedo sensor in the FD and the 2004 and up use a speedo input from the tranny or ABS, not sure which. Then again, I try to be incorrect at least a couple of times a day.:)

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,997 Posts
1999 to 01 2001 part # 33112333164 These have the speed sensor in the FD & have the Brembo brake caliper.

After 01 2001 to 2009 part # 33117661909 These FD's don't have the speed sensor hole & the gear ratio is different. This is also when the linked brakes came out & the caliper has BMW on it.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,559 Posts
Dave's correct even if he does drive on studded tires:p .

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
olddog1946 said:
Saddleman is correct. BMW states that the final drives changed with a a build data of 01/01.

The essential changes are the presence of a hole for mounting the speedometer sensor in the pre-02 models. Later models lack this hole. Also as noted by Saddleman, the pinion gear/crown gear set ratio was changed.

Since your bike is a 2002, presumably is has the later type final drive that does not have a hole for a speedometer sensor. After 01/01 the speedometer input comes from the rear wheel ABS sensor.

Here's a pic of a pre-02 final drive:
(Note the back sensor on the final drive housing. If your bike has this, a 2008 FD will not work.)

Here's a pic of a post 01/01 final drive:

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
:histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica

He needs another set with bigger studs and should go tear it up on a frozen lake.

So just to stir the pot, what kind of FD oil do you use when it's below 20F Dave?

jzeiler said:
Dave's correct even if he does drive on studded tires:p .

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,997 Posts
JoeTerry said:
:histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica

He needs another set with bigger studs and should go tear it up on a frozen lake.

So just to stir the pot, what kind of FD oil do you use when it's below 20F Dave?
I use the oil that it came with. I drain it, look for flakes & then reinstall the same oil. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts