BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All: I purchased my first BMW a few months ago, it is a 2007 K1200LT with 3,200 miles on it. Due to weather I have only been able to ride it a few times, my riding buddies have mentioned that the exhaust blows black smoke when I accelerate rapidly, my mileage on the highway varies from 34 mpg to 39 mpg. Is there anything I can do to run it a bit leaner?
Also I have read a few owners installed a fuel chip; could this bike have one and if so where would I find it.

Thanks in advance
RMOUSE

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Hi there is no fuel chip you may be thinking of the rinewest chip, it will give a few horsepower not better fuel consumption, first thing to do is tps reset, if not that then have the o2 sensor checked

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
This is a case of "they all do that". The Motronic enriches the mixture at full throttle and black smoke is the result. The lower mileage is just a result of you enjoying twisting the throttle.

The PO may have "cut the brown wire" (search the site for a full discussion) that also richens the mixture.

·
Registered
256 Posts
rmouse said:
...the exhaust blows black smoke when I accelerate rapidly
Yes, the Motronic computer sets it quite rich during acceleration. Black soot on the rear of your muffler/tailpipe is normal, too.

my mileage on the highway varies from 34 mpg to 39 mpg.
At what speed? Hard acceleration and high speed may not yield much better that you are seeing.

Is there anything I can do to run it a bit leaner?
Not really, since I believe that if it was supposed to 'run leaner' it would... You can check the O2 sensor and replace it if necessary.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have the o2 sensor checked. My new '07 did the same thing pretty much out of the box and after the dealer replaced the o2 sensor all smoke disappeared and it ran much better.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
DON'T ADD ANY CHIPS!
Fuel should be clean 92- 93 octane ethanol screws up milage
Disconnect the neg of the battery overnight
Connect the battery, turn key on ( do not start the bike)
Open the throttle all the way and then close it three times.
Turn key off.
Start engine and let it settle out, sometimes takes as long as 100 miles for idle to smooth out. Mine took 30 miles for smooth idle.
If you drive a steady 50 mph in fifth gear without a headwind your fifth should be around 50
Smoke is also from setting bike on side stand before oil drains down. Normal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the replies, I will do the TPS recalibrate this evening and if I can find it I will pull the 02 sensor and check it out. Regarding the black soot on my tail pipe, I wish this were the only problem, my riding biddies tell me the bikes smokes like a diesel when under hard acceleration. My best fuel economy was highway riding at 80 mph on cruise control and averaged 39 mpg ( no head wind, 45 deg f ), at 60 I averaged 42 mpg. My 103 Harley with cams averages 44 to 46 in the same conditions.

·
Registered
313 Posts
No matter what you do you'll get the black smoke under hard (full throttle) acceleration. It is Bosch's way of keeping you from damaging your engine by too lean an engine under WFO operation. Mine looks like a Winnebago pulling a hill if I hit it full tilt. You'll soon find that it won't need all the throttle to keep you happy under normal circumstances. I have found in the past year with ethanol fuel my mileage has dropped considerably. I used to get 48-52 during highway running and now I'm down to the low 40s now. I haven't changed my riding habits, just the EPA has changed the fuel mixture. Somehow the beaurocrats have determined that blending fuel that is less efficient required us to use more and therefore we reduce emissions. Somewhere there are folks who can rationalize that. I'm glad I'm not around them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Joe: Thanks for the info, I re-calibrated the throttle and rode it yesterday, the mpgs went up to 44 while riding (slightly) over the speed limit on my trip from SLC, to Moab @ 200 miles and there is noticeably less black smoke on the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
rmouse said:
Joe: Thanks for the info, I re-calibrated the throttle and rode it yesterday, the mpgs went up to 44 while riding (slightly) over the speed limit on my trip from SLC, to Moab @ 200 miles and there is noticeably less black smoke on the exhaust.
GLAD TO HELP!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I just thought I would mention that if you are looking at the bike computer for your mpg, it kind of averages out what you are getting, in town, speeding up, highway, passing 8 cars at a time.. :wow: .(my experience anyway) What I like to do is when I get on the highway at cruise, I hit the reset on the computer, and it recalibrates the mpg to what ever is current. Try it to see if you get better readings for your current riding condition..

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
casualemt said:
I just thought I would mention that if you are looking at the bike computer for your mpg, it kind of averages out what you are getting, in town, speeding up, highway, passing 8 cars at a time.. :wow: .(my experience anyway) What I like to do is when I get on the highway at cruise, I hit the reset on the computer, and it recalibrates the mpg to what ever is current. Try it to see if you get better readings for your current riding condition..
I like doing that too. High 60's lots of the time. Drops off really fast once you enter town.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
High 60s? What are you doing- 45mph on the highway going downhill? :p

Give the old girl some throttle!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts