BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this should be an adjustment, but I am not sure.

An almost new LT (5000 miles) that has the odd habit of a hum (the sound) emitted from the foot pedal area when light to moderate pressure is applied.

Now if this was a car I would look to the pads, but my pads are not the problem because the sound only happens when I use the foot pedal; and the sound is localized there.

This leads me to believe that there should be an adjustment to the pedal. I am still trying to visualize the source of the noise, but I can not.

The adjustment that I have read here talks of a change to the "throw", the distance the pedal will travel until it mechanically stops. Is there another? Has anyone else felt this hum?

Mind you, if it were more pronounced and felt through the seat, I might find it enjoyable. But as it is I find it irritating.

Thought? :confused: Thank you.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
I have a 2000 model so I cannot say exactly, but I think it is your abs pump. It is a two stage pump and light to moderate pressure will activate it. Try pressing the pedal with the bike not running but the key on and you should feel the same thing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
brake noise

ABS/power brake pump. It is normal!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, but....

In this case it is not the ABS pump; I know that puppy well. This is my fourth Beemer.

This is a mechanical noise specifically from the foot pedal. and it is a hum - literally. I can feel it through my foot too.

I appreciate the feedback though.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
This is not normal. I would pull the foot plate and check the integrity of the master cylinder. There is really nothing else there to cause this that I can think of. I guess I should ask is it there with the engine off? If not then it could be a hose routed by something that is vibrating. But then again this is a new bike so I would let the dealer deal with it under warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts