BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have yet to get my 06 rt soon as the weather cooperates just wondering if the rt can overheat in stop and go traffic my 08 suzuki c90 got very hot v twin some times i thought the back cylinder was going to melt my question is can you add a fan to the rt oil cooler to run only when in traffic to help cool the bike or is it not needed Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
vulch said:
Hi i have yet to get my 06 rt soon as the weather cooperates just wondering if the rt can overheat in stop and go traffic my 08 suzuki c90 got very hot v twin some times i thought the back cylinder was going to melt my question is can you add a fan to the rt oil cooler to run only when in traffic to help cool the bike or is it not needed Thanks
We also have a 06 RT and have never experienced any overheating. Last summer we were on our way back home from the rally in Bloomsburg and coming out of St Louis the air temperature was about 101 and we ran into a backup on I70. For about a half hour we were just crawling and I did notice the temp gauge going up a little but never had any problem. Yes there are fans you can put on the RT and I'm sure someone will chime in on that or just do a search.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
In heavy traffic, 2 hours or more of stop and go (I90 pass over the Cascades in the summer coming towards Seattle every Sunday) will do it. If the bike is moving you will seldom if ever overheat. On the road, 115*F no problem at all for the bike. The BMW oil cooler fan for the police model bolts right in for a couple of hundred bucks. You need to add a control switch/power as the stock bike does not have the wire harness to make it work right off the top. There is also a shroud that you need with the fan. Look on the Max parts fiche and you will find it with a little hunting.
01 46637690869 FAN SHROUD $26.85
02 17117656030 FAN $237.83
03 07119931026 WASHER - 3 $1.16
04 63127682829 SCREW - M4X12 3 $1.54
05 61131367599 CABLE STRAP - L=200MM/B=3,6MM 1 $0.50
06 46637659459 OVAL-HEAD SCREW WITH ANTI-ROTATION LOCK - $2.00
07 51127070202 CLIP NUT - M6-ZNS3 2 $1.1

·
Registered
285 Posts
I advise you ride your bike for a year or so to see if you have an overheating issue. I've driven in the city with many stops and lights when it was 103 and had zero issues. The gauge never went above the mid (normal) marking. Another time I was stopped on a blacktop due to construction in air temp of about 97 and the bike gauge went 1 bar above normal. The wait was about 15 minutes at crawl and stop & go pace.

Running down the highway at 113 F was no problem on the bike. It was more of an issue with us. I had to close the face shield on my helmet to prevent the hot blast from hitting my face. The bike does fine as long as it's moving.

Finally, yes, you can add fans to the oil cooler. If you want a clean install you can purchase what the police bikes use although I think the operation will not be automatic (iow, you'll have to add a switch for the fan).

tsp
Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.