BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering what has anyone else seen for top speed on there gps (not speedo), I have 121 on mine, might have gotten alittle more in 5th but shifting to 6th I lost my pull and shortly ran out of safe road.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
These threads are always interesting. I wish there was a way to connect a polygraph up to each poster's mouse button as they click send. :D

:corn:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
I've seen 113 on my 05RT (on the Alaska Highway in Canada), but was loaded very heavily and running out of safe road. Would have done more, I'm sure.

I've also seen 129 on an 05 GS on the Autobhan in Germany. That run felt a lot faster than the 113 on the RT.

Both were with GPSs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,047 Posts
More power to you guys for having the cojones to find out the top speed of the bike.

Although I am mildly curious, I don't have enough confidence in
  • my ability to deal with an upset (e.g., tire) at that speed
  • California roads
  • other drivers
to find out. There's plenty left when I need it. IIRC, when Rolls Royce was asked the top speed of its automobiles the official answer was "adequate". For my bike, that's good enough for me.

In my younger invincible (and pre-armored leathers, open-faced helmet) years I did push my '81 Gold Wing in excess of 100 mph several times. Gol-damn that was scary ... the suspension on that thing was mushy and it wandered all over the road. I guess the industry has learned a few things in 30 years.

JayJay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
I have hit 128 on the GPS passing several trucks on US 50 in Nevada. I was pulling away from my friend on his LT, and he asked me if I was flat out, to which I responded yes, but I had one more gear to go. I think if I had enough room that time I could have hit 135+ in 6th.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I don't think an RT will pull anymore in 6th, I think any better speed will have to be in the top end of 5th, My bike handled great at 121 even with one hand holding my helmet up, Wind was pushing down on my visor and couldn't see. Also nice and smooth with the Dyna beads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,687 Posts
In my young and foolish days, I used to have a rule that every time I took my bike out I would break 100. It was a Kz1000. Don't do that anymore, at least not every day. :) That said, getting up to and over 100 isn't an issue and you can go from 75-100-75 in a short amount of time and space. It's not like you need an air strip to do it.

All I can say is, be careful where you are when you do it. While we have the space in this country for high speed, most drivers aren't comfortable or capable of it. It's part paradigm and part licensing standards. I have no solution to this other than ride in Europe if you want to ride fast legally or just don't get caught. :corn:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Hello,

i'm a german RT Rider and when i understand this Threat right, you discuss the Highspeed with a RT, really?
I have a new one from 2010.
OK, my Highspeed on a german Autobahn was 235 km/h (in miles i think 146 mph) from the tachometer but i have no Navi and you have to subtract some km/h (or mph).

Many greetings sends

Joerg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
You guys sure have a lot more faith in the road condition, wildlife and other drivers than I do, not to mention your tire pressure, mechanic and the guys who made and installed the various fatal-failure parts on your bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,687 Posts
Solo6 said:
You guys sure have a lot more faith in the road condition, wildlife and other drivers than I do, not to mention your tire pressure, mechanic and the guys who made and installed the various fatal-failure parts on your bikes.
At some point you have to have faith. If we don't, we wouldn't be able to get out the bed in the morning.

I saw this signature on someone's post at Motorcycle.com many years ago and it's a bit true:

"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world." -- Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden

We do the best we can. I've had a discussion about speed in another forum recently. It seems that some in America believe that the speed limits here are correct and according to one poster, because we have young married folk with children on the road, we should be allowed to speed. One, he never defined what speeding is or too fast and two, my question was, how is it in Europe, the land of socialist democracies, has higher speed limits than here without the hue and cry from the hand wringers to cut down the speed? In fact, the UK is looking into raising it's speed limits to relieve congestion.

The differences to me are driver training/licensing and paradigm. I believe most European countries have a much more rigorous licensing requirements than we do here. I would imagine many american would fail their requirements. We also have a mindset of what speed is appropriate, regardless of the capabilities of the vehicle or the roads. Riding 70 mph on some roads out west is ridiculous. :corn:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,687 Posts
tronny said:
Hello,

i'm a german RT Rider and when i understand this Threat right, you discuss the Highspeed with a RT, really?
I have a new one from 2010.
OK, my Highspeed on a german Autobahn was 235 km/h (in miles i think 146 mph) from the tachometer but i have no Navi and you have to subtract some km/h (or mph).

Many greetings sends

Joerg
146 indicated would be the correct conversion. My guess is the speedometer is probably around 5% off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
Ponch said:
In fact, the UK is looking into raising it's speed limits to relieve congestion. :
The maximum vehicles/unit of time past a given point on a freeway is at about 40 mph assuming no reduction in the sightlines or other distractions. You can see this as a freeway slowly becomes congested, the speed will slowly decease to ~40 mph, then suddenly jump to zero. Ideally for maximum capacity, a freeway would have a carefully regulated speed limit of ~ 45 mph.

Higher speed limits reduce freeway capacity. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,687 Posts
niel_petersen said:
The maximum vehicles/unit of time past a given point on a freeway is at about 40 mph assuming no reduction in the sightlines or other distractions. You can see this as a freeway slowly becomes congested, the speed will slowly decease to ~40 mph, then suddenly jump to zero. Ideally for maximum capacity, a freeway would have a carefully regulated speed limit of ~ 45 mph.

Higher speed limits reduce freeway capacity. :(
Having driven in NY most of my life I would sort of disagree. I've been on highways there where is was like NASCAR. :) 45 is a little low. I will also say having driven in Europe, that people obey speed restrictions for a given lane much better than we do here. You won't have an ahole playing policeman in the left lane doing 55 over there. I didn't. IIRC, one autobahn was 60 in the right lane, 90 in the middle and 120 in the left. Something like that. Also, not trucks in the left lane. I think there are some things we could learn from the Germans besides buying their motorcycles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
Ponch said:
Having driven in NY most of my life I would sort of disagree. I've been on highways there where is was like NASCAR. :) 45 is a little low. I will also say having driven in Europe, that people obey speed restrictions for a given lane much better than we do here. You won't have an ahole playing policeman in the left lane doing 55 over there. I didn't. IIRC, one autobahn was 60 in the right lane, 90 in the middle and 120 in the left. Something like that. Also, not trucks in the left lane. I think there are some things we could learn from the Germans besides buying their motorcycles.
Nothing I intended to say was to imply that freeways can't be designed for higher speeds. My contention was that a freeway becomes unstable at about 40 mph as the number of vehicles per lane increases. The question is what happens as a freeway becomes saturated with vehicles.

Of course accidents become more spectacular as speeds are increased. I live in MN & only occasionally traveled to Europe on business. I remember seeing accidents with trucks hanging in trees (!) on the German autobahns. And every blowout I've ever been through (3) have been on German Autobahns.

The lack of speed limits on autobahns is similar to lack of gun control in this country (which I am actually against GC) in that it is somewhat irrational but supported as part of the mystique of German automobile industry. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Seen about 125. Too buzy keeping my eye on the road to really watch the speedo. I reserve my high-speed hi-jinx to familiar roads when free of other vehicles.

My buddies & I have a motto: "It's not zen until you hit a hundred-and-ten!" I find a a short 100+ mph jaunt gets my blood moving in the am.

- Buzzkill

'08 R1200RT
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top