BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd report on the conclusion of the faulty oil level warning icon <!> on my 2005 RT which I couldn't persuade any UK dealers to fix FOC. In case it's bugging anyone else.

The problem as you probably know, was with the float switch and I understand it affected 05 and some 06 bikes. After finding a helpful techy at BMW, I found out that if you want to do the fix yourself, you only need to replace the actual float - not the whole float switch. The part number is 13627697763 and it's about £12 or $19

After removing the float switch, just pull off the circlip and replace the sliding float which looks exactly the same as the original but different plastic (I'm told it's a different density)

The float has a magnet inside which operates a contact inside the body of the switch and although it fits over the switch either way round, it only works one way round. There is nothing to indicate which way is correct, so make sure you check it with an electrical test meter to ensure you get a circuit between the connecting wire and the switch case when the float it at the bottom - or else the warning icon will never appear even if the oil is low.

Now the icon only appears on the display when the oil level drops right to the bottom of the sight glass, which I figure is about right.

Cheers,
Jon

·
Registered
444 Posts
Jon,

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
That is an excellent post. Thank you much.

Any photos or can you direct us '05/'06 owners to the location of this Float Switch/Circlip ?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Jon, thanks again for the information.

I looked again at my Rep Rom CD (factory manual) and using the term Oil Level Sensor) I found a page describing the removal/installation of the sensor.

Does not say anything about lowering the oil level before removing the float--- did you have to do that?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I thought mine was faulty, I then realized when I leave my house it could be 15 to 20 miles before I come to a complete stop but I do have to stand still for about 15 seconds before the <!> goes away and check mark appears. I'm doing a 6k service right now, maybe I should see if the local has one in stock. I wasn't aware there was an issue with the sender, guess it doesn't surprise me.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hopz said:
Does not say anything about lowering the oil level before removing the float--- did you have to do that?
No, didn't do that. see PM

·
Registered
254 Posts
Does anyone know if this affects the 07 on up,
Great information, Thanks

Mick

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
The issue is on bikes of the '05/06 vintage only.

and... it has no effect on anything except to cause a mysterious alarm signal that you notice (but ignore) after several times.

as has been said before... the erroneous low oil alert signal <!> seems to occur after a spirited run with a stop... such as pulling into a fuel stop.

Thanks to Jon, we now know how easy it is to fix. Or even easier to just ignore.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
There was actually a recall on this, I do not know the bulletin number though.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
beech said:
There was actually a recall on this, I do not know the bulletin number though.
I believe... it was a Service Bulletin not a recall... there is an important difference. Recalls are reserved for issues that are safety or major product liability things. The Float thing fits neither of these.

My dealer offered to repair mine but that was back when it was under warranty. I did not let him do it, but I did order the part yesterday and will do it myself. I like my dealer but prefer to muck about on the bike myself. That way I know things were done correctly- or not.

·
Registered
378 Posts
As I mentioned I'm doing a 6K service now. I went to my dealer to order part, they said their computer says they can not order that part :confused: They checked sevral ways and model bikes but would not allow. I need something else today from them, I'll bring the part number jonA lists but fear it may be differant across the pond?

Even though mine has not failed yet, it prolly will once I get the tupperware back on and go for a ride.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Dieselweasel said:
went to my dealer to order part, they said their computer says they can not order that part :confused:
Something bogus at your dealer... I ordered mine on Wednesday. Will be here Tuesday. with tax... $21 or so. If you want the number of my dealer drop me a PM.

What failure?...we are not talking about doing the re-float because of a failure, but because of a poor initial design in '05s.

and, there is some discussion over at BMWSport Touring board that the service bulletin involved an update to the computer to alter the way the oil level and display works. Anyone know any facts on this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts