BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was a bit better than Monday's visit by Wilma to my neighborhood but not without a new casualty. I put my bike at a friends home who has a garage for the hurricane's visit. Went to retrieve her last nite. Now, if you even think your electric/hydraulic stand is making a slightly different sound...
1. Get on the ground and check the larger hexhead cap nuts that go thru the bottom of the stand upwards and put an allen wrench to them and see if they are loose. Mine had been making a slightly different sound and I didn't heed it.
I did look around once but didn't see anything that looked amiss.
2. That hydraulic stand is capable of shearing the bolt quite easily. I haven't tackled the withdrawl of the small (hopefully) piece that remains but soon will. I'm hoping to try super gluing the remaining bolt to the piece that remains and see if it won't just unscrew. The other bolt will have to come off first for the centerstand to drop off and maybe a spring if it has one. I'll let you know and photograph the results for a tech site article.
This bike has 41000+ miles on it and this was probably never checked as it's in a difficult area to do much. More to come.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
nearmisses said:
Yesterday was a bit better than Monday's visit by Wilma to my neighborhood but not without a new casualty. I put my bike at a friends home who has a garage for the hurricane's visit. Went to retrieve her last nite. Now, if you even think your electric/hydraulic stand is making a slightly different sound...
1. Get on the ground and check the larger hexhead cap nuts that go thru the bottom of the stand upwards and put an allen wrench to them and see if they are loose. Mine had been making a slightly different sound and I didn't heed it.
I did look around once but didn't see anything that looked amiss.
2. That hydraulic stand is capable of shearing the bolt quite easily. I haven't tackled the withdrawl of the small (hopefully) piece that remains but soon will. I'm hoping to try super gluing the remaining bolt to the piece that remains and see if it won't just unscrew. The other bolt will have to come off first for the centerstand to drop off and maybe a spring if it has one. I'll let you know and photograph the results for a tech site article.
This bike has 41000+ miles on it and this was probably never checked as it's in a difficult area to do much. More to come.
Bad news, I'm afraid -- those bolts are locktited :( Worse, they're locktited into the centerstand mount (the part that bolts to the bottom of the tranny). :( :(

The good news is that if you put the bike on the side stand, and remove the two forward bolts, you should be able to drop the entire centerstand motor assembly and frame straight down off the bolts, and find a substantial length of exposed threads to grab onto. A bit of judiciously-applied heat to help soften the locktite should help.

<<EDIT:>> Just thought of something -- are you referring to the bolts that hold the electrohydraulic motor assembly to the centerstand mounting frame, or the bolts holding centerstand mount to the bottom of the tranny? If the latter, my comments above need to be revised to address removing the bolts from the tranny housing (which may be a magnesium alloy, like the oilhead tranny). :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts