BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering why a low mileage 05 might be smoking, other than perhaps it just hasn't been ridden long enough for it to clear up?
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
It seems like you have been around the block before...
Isn't it due to the way the engine is mounted that all LTs will smoke if they are shut off and immediately placed on their side stand?
Wait 30 seconds after you shut the engine off before placing the bike on its side stand, or use the center stand. ;)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that is a fact. I shut mine off hot and placed on side stand for a minute but forgot. It set there all day, looked like someone was fogging for skeeters for about five minutes on restart
Yes, that's what I was assuming. I have not actually seen the bike in operation, but I also don't recall mine smoking for that much time after startup. I'm hoping/guessing that the bike in question just hasn't been ridden long enough after startup.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,510 Posts
When I put a stored engine (4 years) in an LT for a friend, it smoked for a couple of days then it cleared up. Of course we dumped some marvel mystery oil in each of the cylinder the night before. On the other hand my LT started using a bit of oil at 100,000 and although no visible smoke those riding trail on me smelled the oil like it was a two stroke. Re-ringed the old girl and she was fine once again.

·
Registered
2003 BMW K1200 LT (88K on 2020/08/13)
233 Posts
When I put a stored engine (4 years) in an LT for a friend, it smoked for a couple of days then it cleared up. Of course we dumped some marvel mystery oil in each of the cylinder the night before. On the other hand my LT started using a bit of oil at 100,000 and although no visible smoke those riding trail on me smelled the oil like it was a two stroke. Re-ringed the old girl and she was fine once again.
John, not entirely related to this thread. When you re-ringed your LT @100K, did you just do the rings or did you hone as well? Curious @ 105K and uses a little oil now.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
John, not entirely related to this thread. When you re-ringed your LT @100K, did you just do the rings or did you hone as well? Curious @ 105K and uses a little oil now.
The bores have a special coating and honing will destroy that. It's called Nikasil and it provides a cylinder bore with a wear resistance 4 to 10 times that of a cast iron sleeve or chromium bore.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I put a stored engine (4 years) in an LT for a friend, it smoked for a couple of days then it cleared up
Purportedly, this bike has only around 20K. Even if it did the same in the sense that it would clear up after a couple days (or sooner with a long road trip), I could deal with that.

I was also told it has a brake light on (seems like they all do lately :rolleyes:), but I'm hoping the person is just ignorant about these LTs. I was told nobody at the location works on them, so maybe they're referring to the ABS light flashing, which would go out once it gets rolling. I guess I'll find out.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,510 Posts
This is what the cylinder walls looked like at 100,000 miles.
Before cleaning:
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

After cleaning:
Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Bumper

You can still see the hone marks from when the cylinders were created and coated with nickle silicon matrix, much harder than the piston rings. No ridge at all.

·
Registered
K1200LT 2005
319 Posts
I was also told it has a brake light on (seems like they all do lately :rolleyes:), but I'm hoping the person is just ignorant about these LTs. I was told nobody at the location works on them, so maybe they're referring to the ABS light flashing, which would go out once it gets rolling. I guess I'll find out.
When you turn ignition on, after all the indicator lights do their test, the red brake failure light will flash while it does an initial test. The test only completes if you don't have brakes applied, so if you're starting on a hill, leave it in gear w/ brakes off, ignition on, until test is completed (about 2 seconds). Then you can apply the brakes and start the engine. Once you get rolling at about 2mph it completes the 2nd test and goes away if all is ok. If your light continues to flash, there are many threads on the forum discussing the issue.

BTW, if it doesn't complete the initial test (usually cuz you have the brake applied) you have no power assist on brakes so it feels like you have no brakes! You do, but much less powerful than you expect. That condition heals itself once you release the brake for a couple of seconds.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you turn ignition on, after all the indicator lights do their test, the red brake failure light will flash while it does an initial test. The test only completes if you don't have brakes applied, so if you're starting on a hill, leave it in gear w/ brakes off, ignition on, until test is completed (about 2 seconds). Then you can apply the brakes and start the engine. Once you get rolling at about 2mph it completes the 2nd test and goes away if all is ok. If your light continues to flash, there are many threads on the forum discussing the issue.

BTW, if it doesn't complete the initial test (usually cuz you have the brake applied) you have no power assist on brakes so it feels like you have no brakes! You do, but much less powerful than you expect. That condition heals itself once you release the brake for a couple of seconds.
Thanks Dean for the reminder. I haven't been on one in a couple of years. Planning to fix that this week. 😎

Reactions: djmellor

·
Registered
233 Posts
The bores have a special coating and honing will destroy that. It's called Nikasil and it provides a cylinder bore with a wear resistance 4 to 10 times that of a cast iron sleeve or chromium bore.
Wazza:
Thank you for the information, and I like the new avitar!

·
Registered
233 Posts
This is what the cylinder walls looked like at 100,000 miles.
Before cleaning:
View attachment 179768
After cleaning:
View attachment 179769

You can still see the hone marks from when the cylinders were created and coated with nickle silicon matrix, much harder than the piston rings. No ridge at all.
John:
Thank you for the pictures and information as always, you have exceeded the requirement of Wrencher Extraordinaire!!

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Wazza:
Thank you for the information, and I like the new avitar!
Ha ha. I was just talking to a mate of mine about that picture. That bull lives out in the country near me and I sometimes drop by to give him a pat. That day I was talking to someone while I was there and he said to send him a picture. I thought a selfy would be fun. As I turned my back on him he rested his head on my shoulder and put his tongue in my ear. Made me laugh.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ha ha. I was just talking to a mate of mine about that picture. That bull lives out in the country near me and I sometimes drop by to give him a pat. That day I was talking to someone while I was there and he said to send him a picture. I thought a selfy would be fun. As I turned my back on him he rested his head on my shoulder and put his tongue in my ear. Made me laugh.
Well Wazza, I vote to make it a keeper. Yopu seem just the sort of bloke I'd l;like to ride and hang around with, maybe one day I'll make to your neck of the woods on that little island you all call a continent. Take care!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Well Wazza, I vote to make it a keeper. Yopu seem just the sort of bloke I'd l;like to ride and hang around with, maybe one day I'll make to your neck of the woods on that little island you all call a continent. Take care!
You're welcome any time Mate and I take that as a huge compliment. Our little island by the way is similar in size to the US. We just don't have many people living in the middle. Too much desert.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts