BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My K1200LT has just 2200 miles on it. Fellow riders report that I smoke when accellerating. My first service was at 1,000 miles (as recommended by my salesman). After 1,200 miles since my oil change the site glass (on center stand) shows oil at the half way mark. I normally leave my bike on the center stand unless on a ride. Should I be concerned about the "black puffs" riders report and the amount of oil consumption at this point?

·
Registered
275 Posts
What Raffy said!:) Leaving the bike on the side stand for prolonged times will result in some tiny tiny bit of oil seeping by the valve stem seals but that is very normal. At startup this results in some smoke coming from the exhaust.The bike is therefore best parked on the center stand for long periods. If you want to use the side stand just switch of the engine wait 10 seconds to let the oil drain away (you can tilt the bike SLIGHTLY to the right) from the head and then park it as usual.YMMV

·
Registered
68 Posts
What you are saying is that in 1,200mi. you have burned about 1/2 sight glass of oil or less than 1 pint, right?
Since you only have 2,200mi. total on the bike, I would call this normal. Keep an eye on it and give the bike another 12,000 to break in. Oil consumption should be near zero then.
Bruce C

·
Registered
749 Posts
When the mixture is rich, there is more fuel in the fuel to air ratio thereby making a bit of smoke. Mine does it and I have used a teaspoon of oil in 11,000 miles.

·
Senior Member (ret.)
10,857 Posts
Was your oil level in the sight glass all the way to the top when parked on the center stand? If so, it was overfilled. It should be in the center of the sight glass. If it was overfilled, then parking on the side stand when on a ride would allow for seepage of oil and would cause the excess oil to burn.

The black smoke is rich fuel burning. If it was oil, you would have a blueish smoke. Follow another LT and watch when they go wide open on the throttle to pass a car or just do a speed run, you will see puffs of black smoke.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fill Level

Thanks to all for your input. My manual says with the bike on the center stand oil level at the top of the site glass is MAX and at the bottom is MIN. Raf's oil level recommendation of no more than half a site glass (where mine is now) seems in conflict with the manual.

·
Registered
538 Posts
yeoman_kp said:
Thanks to all for your input. My manual says with the bike on the center stand oil level at the top of the site glass is MAX and at the bottom is MIN. Raf's oil level recommendation of no more than half a site glass (where mine is now) seems in conflict with the manual.
My man yull says the same. On sidestand should be middle of glass, Top of glass when on center stand. Some guys run it at mid glass as full when on center stand. Either will be safe.

·
Registered
279 Posts
In general, as long as there's oil showing in the sight glass, you should be OK. Also note, the manual recommends checking your oil levels when the engine is at normal operating temps. Wait for about 5 minutes after shutting down for all the oil to return to the sump, then check it.

Here's the full scoop straight from the manual...

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hey Yeoman,

If anyone laughs at you when you bike smokes at startup,,,, Tell them it was engineered that way to prevent the damage that occurs during a dry/cold start. (Forward thinking in the BMW RD dept).

Jimmy

·
Registered
279 Posts
ZB50 said:
Hey Yeoman,

If anyone laughs at you when you bike smokes at startup,,,, Tell them it was engineered that way to prevent the damage that occurs during a dry/cold start. (Forward thinking in the BMW RD dept).

Jimmy
The oil smoke helps lube the muffler bearings! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts