BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 LT has become more bike than I need. I am considering ways to make it lighter, and less bulky. Perhaps, by removing the trunk and other parts. Has anyone else ever done this ?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,191 Posts
Removing the trunk is about all you can do and that gets you roughly 35 pounds. The panniers are deeply built in and the bike would look awful with them removed. Or you could just remove the rear sub frame and design your own tank and seat frame like this work in progress from a wrecked bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Just pulling the top box will make the bike feel much better, only way i would ever put it back on is if my wife wanted to ride with me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, John, re your cafe' racer(?) cut down pic, I gotta say that's PFG. I like where it look's like it's going a lot.

Any estimate what the weight is now and where it's gonna end up? That's not the stock tank is it? How much of it IS stock? Any frame mods performed, any cutting? Any details you want to share? Maybe I need to continue reading to see, but I just had to comment on the pic when I saw it.

One of the reasons I just edited the post is that I was wondering just how much the engine weighs...that's gotta be a big piece of the total bike.

I understand that the thing uses fuel injection and I was wondering if the tank could be modded or changed to lower the COG a bit more, maybe making it smaller/replacing it with a smaller one and adding an aux tank behind the engine "compartment" (not much of a compartment now, is it?) when the fuel capacity goes way down?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,191 Posts
I wish it was my project but it is the work of another member here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry, John. I just assumed...and you know how that turns out/turned out. Any info on who dood/is doing it?

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
I think BMW did it. Called them the K1200 RS and GT!
K1600 GTL..... about 80 pounds lighter and can be even less if you pull off the top case (takes about a minute) and both side cases (another minute). More horsepower too !

·
Registered
186 Posts
For my 48 state motorcycle trip last May, I removed the rear case with arm rests (38 lbs), 6 CD changer (8 lbs), rear foot boards (12 lbs), charcoal cannister, miscellaneous wiring, rear antenna (replaced it with a lightweight front antenna) for a total of over 60 lbs. The bike was noticeably easier to handle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts