BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone with an 05 LT noticed a line about 1 inch from the top of the main display that runs horizontally across the screen. The line I am referring to is /are missing pixels. When I fill up my gas tank, the gauge darkens up the left side of the display except for this area about 1 inch from the top of the display. Fortunately, Ihave not had the engine coolant hot enough to verify this situation occurs on the right side of the display.

Is this gap in pixels normal?
:abduct:

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
busted pixels..

Seems to me there is a problem. LCD's will lose pixels for various reasons. Because of the color shift you mention and a whole line/area missing, I'd say there is a problem with the instrument cluster being torqued by not being level.. tightened up too much on one side.. or maybe it's just defective. If the dealer says "they all do that", let me know cause they need to do that to mine.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I don't know about the display on the '05 LT, but BMW has had some problems with pixel loss on some of their cars, especially late '90s and early '00 5 and 7 series cars. Some have cleared those up by removing the cluster and cleaning the connectors, others have had them replaced under warranty. I am on a couple web forums for the cars also, since I have a 5 and a 7.

An entire line out on an LCD though sounds like a bad multiplexer chip in the display driver, or a bad connection from it to the LCD panel. Bad LCD connections could be caused by stress in mounting, depending on the type of connections it has.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
icycler said:
Has anyone with an 05 LT noticed a line about 1 inch from the top of the main display that runs horizontally across the screen. The line I am referring to is /are missing pixels. When I fill up my gas tank, the gauge darkens up the left side of the display except for this area about 1 inch from the top of the display. Fortunately, Ihave not had the engine coolant hot enough to verify this situation occurs on the right side of the display.

Is this gap in pixels normal?
:abduct:
No -- mine is continuous. Time to approach your dealer about a warranty swap? No sure I'd want to deal with the odometer issues, but that's your call.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts