BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I have a bmw k1200s that has been sitting in my shed since 2009. I purchased it used a year previously from the BMW motorcycle dealership in Baton Rouge Louisiana (not my first bmw), which closed its doors last year, sorry to hear. No, I didn’t purchase the extended warranty. In the summer of 09 on a Sunday morning heading home from Mobile Al on I-110 the bike started to sputter a bit then the engine just blew! I was going 75 mph. At first I thought my back tire blew out but I always keep my tires up to date. When I saw the smoke behind me, one would think the space shuttle just took off, I knew it was more than a tire. Coasting to the side of the hwy engine still idling, I shut it down and jumped off. Oil was pouring down. I couldn’t see exactly where it was coming from until I got I’d towed home. Removing the right side panel, the number 4 cylinder had a hole the size of a lemon with a connector rod hanging out. Took it to the dealership and they checked it out called the company but they wouldn’t do anything, AT ALL! Final decision came down to, I should have changed my oil sooner. But I kept my oil changed and I was probably about 100 or so over due and was going to change it after that trip. I just don’t think that little small amount of mileage over due could have done that. So I started doing research online and come to find out I wasn’t the only one. I found many other owners with that same model with the exact same problem and the same cylinder. So I contacted BMW and went round and round with them over days and the final verdict was, they told me, they didn’t care if it was there problem or not, they weren’t going to fix or replace it. Some time went by and I spoke to a BMW motorcycle mechanic that told me, he has gotten those same bikes come back to the shop with the same exact thing. He also told me he had to change out an engine TWICE on one bike just like mine and the owner sold it after the 3rd one.
Anyone else have any problems with that model?!
I was told the real reason that was happening was because the oil ports in the engine, was a design fault. The ports were not large enough to let the oil flow to the number 4 cylinder fast enough which caused it to blow out. Always number 4 in every one I found and researched. Should’ve been a recall for sure. I still have the bike and it’s in great shape except for that.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Two blown engines.
The issue is the way the coolant is filled. Using a vacuum system.
The coolant walls are very thin. Any air pocket and the engine is gone.
Engines from 2008 and up will work.
I got the coolant vacuum refill system.
Good luck.
If I were you, sell it for parts and get one 2008 up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two blown engines.
The issue is the way the coolant is filled. Using a vacuum system.
The coolant walls are very thin. Any air pocket and the engine is gone.
Engines from 2008 and up will work.
I got the coolant vacuum refill system.
Good luck.
If I were you, sell it for parts and get one 2008 up.

That wasn’t and issue and I have moved on long since. I’ll never get back what I paid for it. Just have to cut my losses, it just sits until I part it out one of these days. On my 3rd beemer since that incident, an RT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That wasn’t and issue and I have moved on long since. I’ll never get back what I paid for it. Just have to cut my losses, it just sits until I part it out one of these days. On my 3rd beemer since that incident, an RT.
An issue, I mean. Lol

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Tough day, BMW never admits to problems, only when forced to by regulators. Never. Then never. BMWNA is inbetween us and the Germany BMW folks, a serious wall. At first when I started reading your post I thought a cam chain jump but no, this is different. Sorry, maybe you can make a few $ selling part, for sure that engine is a coffee table. Think seriously about extended warranties when buying a BMW. They have a less than stellar reputation for dependability now. There are folks who will not own one out of warranty. Sad.

·
Registered
547 Posts
What beech said.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Tough day, BMW never admits to problems, only when forced to by regulators. Never. Then never...There are folks who will not own one out of warranty. Sad.
My 40+ year experience with BMW's concurs but adds: BMW always quietly fixes problems they never admitted exists.

I don't worry that much about warranty; but will never buy a BMW M/C in it's first 2-3 years of production.

Tom

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Glad this topic returned, I have to say after thinking about it, many of the major engine parts are quite valuable. Cams go new for 750$, Crank for well over 2 grand. So if you find a used engine on eBay you can recoup some losses possibly and get your bike back. Here is one for $700. Would be a project.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Did you inform the NTSB? Recalls are based on something and if they don't know the problem is wide spread then no recall. Manufacturers don't report the problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts