BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 1200lt and need to do a 4800 miles services, just don't know what it consists of. Any answer would be appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Where did you find an 05 with that few miles? Because of age I'd change all the fluids.........brake fluid, clutch fluid, tranny fluid, final drive fluid and coolant. All those fluids are cheap whereas parts on this bike ARE NOT. And once you do all that to your bike it will be truly YOURS.............. :dance:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Just checking: Four thousand eight hundred miles (4,800) or fourty eight thousand (48,000) miles?

If you have an '05 with fewer than 5,000 miles you found yourself a great hanger queen! Good on ya! Shoot, 48,000 is nothing either! Great find!

Loren

·
Registered
216 Posts
With only 4,800 miles on your LT, I would NOT recommend changing the air/gas filter or plugs (I would take the plugs out just to take a look -- they are easy to get to) as you will find that they are in perfect order. I would run seafoam in the gas for a tank full prior to an oil change. From what I can gather, this is one of the better products on the market. Wally World sells it.

+1 on changing the fluids. I would also drill a weep hole in the tranny housing and the clutch slave cylinder housing -- see other threads for this.

Please note that your tires are probably not too worn, but I would check them for any premature cupping -- run 42/48 in the front and rear tires.

Also look into changing the rear spring (not the shock) with a hyper pro one as the rear spring is pretty lame. The cost is about $150 or so -- mention their ad in the BMWMOA mag and you will get a 10% discount.

Glenn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oops. My bad. Sorry guys not 4800 miles.. I meant 48000 miles. It was late. :) I called the dealer they quoted me around $900 and was considering doing the work myself. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh. And I also run a k&n air filter in my k1200lt, have been for a good 20,000 miles and don't seem to have any problems. The dealer said they don't recomend it because it runs too rich with too much air getting through. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
gaulois said:
Oh. And I also run a k&n air filter in my k1200lt, have been for a good 20,000 miles and don't seem to have any problems. The dealer said they don't recomend it because it runs too rich with too much air getting through. Any thoughts?
Too rich with too much air... I am no expert tuner but too much air to me means it would run lean. I ran a K&N in my Suzuki but I did it to save money as it was a washable.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,429 Posts
gaulois said:
I prefer to not run a K & N filter as they dry out they let a ton more dirt into your engine. Unless you are pulling then and servicing them frequently they dry out. There is nothing better than a paper filter to trap dirt. Sure you get a lot more (claimed) air flow with a K & N but why would you want to do that? Could you tell a performance related difference? Just my 2 cents worth. Oh and I suspect the O2 sensor would compensate if it was running too rich or too lean.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
At 48,000 miles you need to do EVERYTHING, Valves,all filters,all fluids,plugs.

Maybe you could get a tech session going in the DFW area. Plenty of good wrenchers
there. If not, wait for May and come to Houston for one.

Dan Martin

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'm with John Z on this air filter "upgrade" issue. The paper filter is made by Mann, Germany and has the exact pressure drop to match BMW's requirements for the engine. I just changed mine at 25,000 Kms and the original was only slightly grubby on the dirty side. This I believe would be the result of the carefully positioned air intake because there were also very few insects on the filter (yet the front of the bike regularly gets peppered). My advice, stick with genuine good quality filters only. Clear air & clean oil and she'll run forever.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
K100Dennis said:
I'm with John Z on this air filter "upgrade" issue. The paper filter is made by Mann, Germany and has the exact pressure drop to match BMW's requirements for the engine. I just changed mine at 25,000 Kms and the original was only slightly grubby on the dirty side. This I believe would be the result of the carefully positioned air intake because there were also very few insects on the filter (yet the front of the bike regularly gets peppered). My advice, stick with genuine good quality filters only. Clear air & clean oil and she'll run forever.
10-4, 10-4 +1+1 Dump the K&N!!!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I see you are in Carrollton... I am just up the road in the Allen/McKinney area. If you want some help with your first service, come on over. I have a list and all of the tools that you will need... Only catch is that after you learn you need to show someone else down the road. I am home most days, and evenings can work out as well if my wife is working that night.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the good info. I will definitely go back to the stock air filter then. I have been looking into joining a BMW club up north Texas and seem to have 2 possibilities but still not sure which one.
You guys are great, thanks for all the replies.

Luc Francois

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: 05 k1200lt service and warranty

To add to the discussion, I have recently purchased a 2005 K1200 LT with 1,556 miles and I now reaffirm that it has less than 1,600 miles. When I purchased the bike I called my local dealer and asked what would need to be checked in this situation. My very knowledgable BMW dealer service manager said that his biggest concerns would be with the ABS brakes and fluids.

Any other thoughts on what I might want to watch for early on to protect the bike that has certainly sat for a while?

In reading the forum, I can see that a few issues are starting to come up on some of the older models. I'm in a situation where I can add a Zurich Motorcycle Extended Warranty for unlimited miles, no deductible, for three years, at a price of $1,600. Any ideas whether it might be a good idea to buyin to such a program? :bmw:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I bought an extended warranty when I bought my 05 used. Best money I ever spent and paid for itself several times over.

That said, I am unfamiliar with the Zurich offering. The policy is only as good as their willingness and ability to pay claims for repairs. Read the exclusions carefully!

Now that you have made your first post, please remember to fill in your profile, including the city/area and state where you live. Once you do, you may find others volunteering to come by or have you over to help you with your service issues and to get you up to speed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi Dan,

When are you thinking about a May Tech Session down in Houston? Any dates on your radar screen yet?

·
Registered
161 Posts
deputy5211 said:
I see you are in Carrollton... I am just up the road in the Allen/McKinney area. If you want some help with your first service, come on over. I have a list and all of the tools that you will need... Only catch is that after you learn you need to show someone else down the road. I am home most days, and evenings can work out as well if my wife is working that night.
Not trying to hijack the thread ... but ... is there a way to search this forum for members near you ... I'd love to tear into this bike to "make it mine", but all the tupperware scares me a bit

I considered riding to Dallas to get "trained" ... but alas a bit to far for a winter ride ... I'm gonna strip her nekkid the coming winter

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
ksbaltz said:
Hi Dan,

When are you thinking about a May Tech Session down in Houston? Any dates on your radar screen yet?
Hi Karl,

Couple of weekends in May look possible. Will start a thread in the South Central forum this Sunday to see who needs what and when. Gonna be moving the first weekend in May
so that one is out for sure.

·
Registered
88 Posts
deputy5211 said:
I bought an extended warranty when I bought my 05 used. Best money I ever spent and paid for itself several times over.

That said, I am unfamiliar with the Zurich offering. The policy is only as good as their willingness and ability to pay claims for repairs. Read the exclusions carefully!

Now that you have made your first post, please remember to fill in your profile, including the city/area and state where you live. Once you do, you may find others volunteering to come by or have you over to help you with your service issues and to get you up to speed.
Did you buy the warranty before or after the factory warranty expired? I talked to a dealer about the zurich product and he said if the factory warranty is over then it does not cover the internal seals (tranny, FD, etc.). This is considered normal wear and tear after the warranty has ended.

Are ther any other extended warranties that cover internal seal leaks?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts