BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, i replaced my DWA 5 alarm system and that has gone swimmingly, however getting my FOB to work with the new alarm is not. we are following the PDF manual i found on here; but no luck. it seems to be failing on the last part of the sequence; but i really can't be sure. has anyone successfully registered a new FOB without going to the dealer?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
I don't think the 05 alarm manual is on here. I have a copy on my laptop and I am up in the Mountains. As soon as I get the laptop set up I'll give the "official" instructions.

There should have been instruction in the box. The good news is the guy that installed his is up here with us so I'll check with him as well. We will get you going again.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
OK this is right out of the manual for the alarm. Give it a try.

First you enter the registration mode then sync. When it says press three times make them a press, release, press, release, press, release. Don't just stab it three time really fast.

If that fails we can get a phone call set up with the guy that has done it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you, kind sir!!! we got the fob registered. haven't gottent he cadence down yet to customize options, but it is working!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Not to hijack the thread too much, but it appears the original problem has been solved in any event.

Does anything untoward happen if a fob battery goes dead? Do you just replace it and be back in business? Or does it need to be registered again?

Mine are approaching 11 years old and on the original batteries. I am debating replacing them before leaving for CCR, but if the consequences are benign, I will run them until they die and then stop and get a battery. I seem to recall they take a fairly common coin cell.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
FOBs are easy after a battery change, just cycle lock and unlock until the alarm responds. He replace a failed alarm unit.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
FOBs are easy after a battery change, just cycle lock and unlock until the alarm responds. He replace a failed alarm unit.
Yes, I realize he was doing a replacement of the module. However, bmw is famous for making the simple complicated so I would not be surprised that a battery failure would disable the fob forever. :grin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts