BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read through about as many threads as I can find to see if any of them answer my question so if I am annoying anyone, sorry. I bought my 05' LT knowing it had a very minor oil leak. In preparation for my trip to Sturgis from Seattle, I asked that the dealer drill a weep hole as suggested by just about everyone here. I attached pictures of the day the weep hole was drilled and one of just this morning. I wiped off what was there after the first picture and since then have put about 300 miles on. My question is, since I am not getting ANY clutch slippage, is the amount of oil that is there show enough of a problem that I should have the engine dismantled and all new seals put in? I am hoping that there is enough life in it to now worry about it until December or January. I look forward to your thoughts here. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I have read through about as many threads as I can find to see if any of them answer my question so if I am annoying anyone, sorry. I bought my 05' LT knowing it had a very minor oil leak. In preparation for my trip to Sturgis from Seattle, I asked that the dealer drill a weep hole as suggested by just about everyone here. I attached pictures of the day the weep hole was drilled and one of just this morning. I wiped off what was there after the first picture and since then have put about 300 miles on. My question is, since I am not getting ANY clutch slippage, is the amount of oil that is there show enough of a problem that I should have the engine dismantled and all new seals put in? I am hoping that there is enough life in it to now worry about it until December or January. I look forward to your thoughts here. Thanks in advance.
Based on the pictures posted, my personal guess is that it is the rear main seal leaking because you do not have a slipping clutch yet. It looks like there may be oil leaking from the front of the bellhousing and that is where oil would drain from that seal, in front of the clutch housing.

It is difficult to make a recommendation on whether to have work done or not based on pictures like yours. Some ride for years and others have a melt down very quickly like Scooter just this week and is now trailering his bike home.

Keep in mind that the weep hole is an indicator of a problem that needs to be fixed and not a solution to allow you to keep on riding. Any oil that drains out will likely end up on your rear wheel and if enough comes out at any time, it can cause you great trouble.

It is costly to have that work done at a dealer but it isn't an engine dismantle but a transmission removal to expose the seals that are leaking. At that point, you have to weigh the cost of parts vs labor to go back in to replace other things that you could do this time around. How many miles are on the clutch and is there ANY oil contamination yet even if it isn't slipping. The transmission input, output and slave seals are usually replaced in this process as well as inspection of the clutch plates for wear and dishing. The dreaded O-ring would automatically be replaced with a main seal as it has to be removed and would not be reused in the main seal process.

The decision is all yours if you want to risk it and have to tow or trailer your bike back or find a local dealer to do the work while you are away and you also may not have any issue at all. You could take your trip without incident but your time is limited before it will simply need to be done to continue riding. All the incidents seem to be different but the outcome is the same. It simply needs to be replaced.

Good luck with whatever option you choose.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
FWIW oil from the rear main leak will usually be thrown off the clutch housing and typically will not contaminate the clutch. It will if no weep hole is there and the level gets high enough. The o-ring on the output shaft will crack with age and will contaminate the clutch but it rarely shows at the weep hole. I have a friend who bought an LT with a really bad rear main seal leak and he has put over 20 K on it in the last 2 years and the clutch is still just fine. Just periodically get the the old girl up to about 4500 RPM in 5th gear then hammer the throttle to see if the clutch will slip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts