BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day. I'm a new owner of this machine, as of this past July. I replaced the battery without incident and the bike started instantly. I let it run for about 10 minutes. I shut it off and returned about 2 hours later. Once again it started fine and after about 2 minutes it shut off on its own. When I turned the key off and back on...all of the dash lights show all is well, and all noises are normal, but the starter button does nothing. Other posts suggested the Alarm System was possibly reactivated. I had never needed/used the FOB before and previous owner said it was deactivated and he never used it. I put a new battery in FOB and synced according to the manual's instructions. Beyond that action the FOB is unresponsive and the starter still immobilized. Thank you in advance for your collective wisdom.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,346 Posts
The key take away is it shut off on its own. This means something failed to cause it to die. Usually it is the fuel lines but in this case the starter does not function and the FOB is unresponsive. Turn the key on and honk the horn. If it honks OK I am stumped but if the horn does not blow then that tells me the alarm system has failed internally and has blown fuse F4 in the inboard fuse block. You will also have no brake lights. Hope this is the case as it is very easy to bypass a failed alarm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Horn and brake lights work.
Reverse Switch is solidly in F.
While still on Center Stand I moved the Side Stand down and up a couple of times.
No changes.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,346 Posts
Still could be a failure of the alarm without the blowing of the fuse. Turn on the key and let the start up sequence complete. Then cycle the kill switch several times. You should hear the fuel pump cycle each time you do that. If you don't then the alarm immobilizer has been set.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still could be a failure of the alarm without the blowing of the fuse. Turn on the key and let the start up sequence complete. Then cycle the kill switch several times. You should hear the fuel pump cycle each time you do that. If you don't then the alarm immobilizer has been set.
Much appreciated to everyone. My work schedule won’t allow me to try this until next week.
Also, on Wednesday, I did disconnect the battery and let everything sit for about 5 minutes before trying the suggestions. Have a great weekend and I’ll keep you posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As of just now: I first re-synchronized the Remote and it happened as the manual said it should, so far as the remote LED flashes are concerned.

As for the Status LED on the dash, when I turn on the ignition, the status LED comes on for a few seconds and goes off. Again, all sounds are normal. When ignition is turned off the status LED blinks twice and goes out.

The Kill Switch was cycled and I can hear the fuel pump. Still no starter.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,346 Posts
Can you measure the battery voltage? If so measure it with the key off then turn the key on and measure again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts