BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to be handy and changed all the fluids and started on the brakes. I was bleeding the front left side but none of the fluid came from the resevoir. Now of course 3+ oz are drained from the (lines/servo and /or ????? ) and the abs and brake failure lights are flashing quickly. Any hints to get the fluid back into the system??

·
Registered
322 Posts
Try searching the hall of wisdom. My understanding is that the brake lever is on a different circuit than the front calipers. The reservoir I believe is under the seat. I have a 2000 LT so I am not that familiar with the procedure for the integrated brake system.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
hagshollow said:
I am trying to be handy and changed all the fluids and started on the brakes. I was bleeding the front left side but none of the fluid came from the resevoir. Now of course 3+ oz are drained from the (lines/servo and /or ????? ) and the abs and brake failure lights are flashing quickly. Any hints to get the fluid back into the system??
The fill points for the caliper reservoirs are under the seat on the ABS unit, two black plastic caps with vent tubes on them merging int.o a Y.
You may have let air into the system so seek some help and read/ search "brake bleeding abs"
Best done with the special funnel from BeemerBoneyard.com to screw into the abs reservoirs.
The handlebar and right rear reservoirs are for the control circuit and don't directly connect to the calipers.

·
Registered
519 Posts
hagshollow said:

Would be worth while to get John Z's DVD on flushing the brakes for a 2005 and up.

I did mine in Feb (2005 LT) and was easy once you have the DVD and the funnel from Beemerboneyards.

email John Z and see if he has some DVD's available.

Small note, on the ABS there are two plugs that are plastic (vent tubes) that need to me removed and drained. Don't use a allen wrench to install, they are only finger tight!!) I learned the hard way and snapped one. They only sell the kit with two in it.

Good luck.

Regards,

Bowdon

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,093 Posts
Here is a pic of the two reservoirs. The short one is the rear wheel circuit and the tall one is the front wheel circuit. Fill it and then run a long clear hose from the front caliper back to the reservoir and let the pump run - if you see no bubbles then you never drained it completely.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
I can only find one John Z in the member listing.......and he hasn't been very active at all. Maybe there's some other info we need to have to get hold of him......

Pat

bowdon said:
Would be worth while to get John Z's DVD on flushing the brakes for a 2005 and up.

I did mine in Feb (2005 LT) and was easy once you have the DVD and the funnel from Beemerboneyards.

email John Z and see if he has some DVD's available.

Small note, on the ABS there are two plugs that are plastic (vent tubes) that need to me removed and drained. Don't use a allen wrench to install, they are only finger tight!!) I learned the hard way and snapped one. They only sell the kit with two in it.

Good luck.

Regards,

Bowdon

·
Registered
92 Posts
His user name is Jzeiler. Search that and you should find him. He has been very helpfull in the past week or two answering questions for me regarding a very "painful" ($$$) brake problem I am experiencing on my 04 LT

·
Registered
444 Posts
PATTERSON said:
I can only find one John Z in the member listing.......and he hasn't been very active at all. Maybe there's some other info we need to have to get hold of him......

Pat
John posted just before you.

I just purchased the dvd from John. I will be doing the flush in the next week or two. Once you see the dvd, you will fully understand how to do it, he really did an excellent job of explaining it.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
PATTERSON said:

Pat
look at post #5 in this thread!

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
See this article for a description of the FOUR different brake circuits in an Integral ABS-equipped bike: http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=K1200LT&Number=162457&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&vc=1

The article was written for an '02 LT; even though the '05s received a revised ABS pump (used on the earlier oilhead RT's), the theory of operation is the same. The primary difference is that the double reservoir at the right side of the '02 (which served three of the brake circuits) was replaced with a single of reservoir in the same place, and two separate reservoirs integrated into the new Integral pump (see the picture above). Thus, in the '05, each of the 4 circuits has its own reservoir.

By draining 3 oz from the front caliper, you've taken 3 oz out of one of the two pump-piggy-backed reservoirs -- if you were *real* lucky, the level didn't drop so low that the port in the reservoir wasn't uncovered, permitting air to enter the front wheel circuit. Time to remove the caps and shine a flashlight in the reservoirs. Fingers crossed for ya.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts