BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I suck (vacuum) brake fluid through the ABS unit via the calipers with a filled brake funnel on the unit, instead of using the powered pump of the ABS-unit?
If not I'm in big trouble because when I put the contact on, the warning light of the ABS starts flashing immediately very fast and pulling the handle (front brake) or the pedal (rear brake) does not activate the ABS pump.
How come? Stupid me changed the bleeders on all three calipers with Stahlbus speedbleeders and spilled a whole lot of brake fluid in the process.
In order not to mess up the ABS-unit (wich I had to change by the dealer 2 years ago and cost me a fortune) I want to bleed the system correctly. I hope that the pump is not working by lack of pressure?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
OK if you get a fast flash when you turn on the key then one of your brake switches is stuck on. Check each one to make sure it is not on by listening for a "click" as you press the pedal or pull the lever. The one that does NOT click is the stuck one. Once you get that fixed everything else will work normally. If you apply the brakes when you turn on the key (or have a stuck switch) then the ABS cannot complete its first self test and then transition to the slow flash. It stays stuck on a fast flash and the pumps will not work.

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a million Jzeiler!!
This is the first time I'm doing a 20.000km service. I got everything of the bike and in the process disconnected the rear brake switch. Reconnected and auto diagnostic cycle went through and I could bleed the wheel circuits and ABS-unit with the #1, "2, #3 and again #1 method. During the wheel circiut bleed, brake fluid sputtered out intermittantly . At some points in time I could hear the ABS-pump but the fluid in my funnel did not drop. Only by playing the hand lever and pedal, brake fluid came out of the bleeders at the calipers. Anyway, no air is coming out and after reignition and autodiagnose I got the one flash per second light. I hope everything will get back to normal once I test-ride the bike.
Thanks again!!
I'm sure I will have stupid other questions during reassembly of the bike.
bye for now,
Greetings from Belgium!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
Yes the brake switches are normally closed and open when activated so if it was disconnected the ABS would sense it "open".

I had issues with the funnel when filling it. I would get an "air lock" and fluid would not drop when pumping. I always loosen the funnel a little to see if the fluid drops, if it does you had a filling air lock. Pouring very slowly into the funnel helps eliminate that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts