BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a used, or laying around hitch, and any suggestions on brands. If anybody has any input weigh in, all the posts I have read are pretty old. Thanks, and by the way I'm a newbie, just bought my 06.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
I prefer the Bushtec hitch as it puts all the pulling load directly on the main frame with only tongue weight on the rear sub frame. I got lucky and went 60 miles to look at a bike for a guy and when I told him it had a hitch he said do you want it?

Reactions: Mobmw

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have looked at several and I do like the simplicity of the Bushtec. But the looks not so much. Can you take the tire off with it installed? And the price is better than some. Thanks for the input.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
I have looked at several and I do like the simplicity of the Bushtec. But the looks not so much. Can you take the tire off with it installed? And the price is better than some. Thanks for the input.
Yes you can IF you have a lift with a drop well in it. I usually remove mine as it is only five easy bolts. I have only done 17 rear tire changes in 16 years on it.

Reactions: Mobmw

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
I have a new DMC LT hitch with a 1 7/8" ball I will sell. I'll post a picture when I get home. $150 plus shipping.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
I don't have a wiring harness. You can get one with the relays at DMC or Bushtec.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have a wiring harness. You can get one with the relays at DMC or Bushtec.
Ok, I'll take it. Pay Pal alright or??
I also have this used Bushtec hitch that is missing a couple pieces of the mounting hardware. $ 50 plus shipping.
It isn't chrome is it? Your killing me which hitch do you prefer? You obviously have more LT experience than me. I am wanting to pull a camper trailer. I guess I could get the extra pieces from Bustec.

·
Premium Member
2003 K1200 LTE
1 Posts
I had the Bushtec on my 03 and the rear tire can be changed without removing the hitch but the bike has to be lifted high enough to get wheel out the bottom. I once had to change tire on a trip and was able to do so by putting bike on center stand and then putting 2x6"s (3) one at a time under the stand by rocking bike. Luckily there was construction going on next to the hotel where I got the 2x6"s and that I had help rocking bike and sliding wood under the kickstand. I normally change my own tires using a Nomar tire changer and a bike lift. Just put bike on center stand and leave back wheel hanging off the lift so the wheel can drop out the bottom. I went with the Bushtec because it attaches directly to the main frame.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Ok, I'll take it. Pay Pal alright or??

It isn't chrome is it? Your killing me which hitch do you prefer? You obviously have more LT experience than me. I am wanting to pull a camper trailer. I guess I could get the extra pieces from Bustec.
The bushtec would need to be painted. I think the parts that are missing can be purchased at any home improvement store. the parts that are needed go under the license plate. Maybe someone can post a picture. The bushtec is a better hitch. The DMC hitch is easier to change a tire & most of it can be removed by removing two pins when not in use.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
Here is the missing stuff. 1/4 inch plate that bolts to the sub frame with "U" bolts and two cross braces.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts