BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Neodoc (Joe) has an 05 headlight assembly for sale and I have a 99 that needs a new one.

Does anyone know if the main 05 housing.... with only the low beam capability.....does it still have the high beam hole, unused, in the assembly and therefore might still be the same assembly and work on my 99?
 

·
BMW Guru
Joined
·
8,469 Posts
jwp767 said:
Neodoc (Joe) has an 05 headlight assembly for sale and I have a 99 that needs a new one.

Does anyone know if the main 05 housing.... with only the low beam capability.....does it still have the high beam hole, unused, in the assembly and therefore might still be the same assembly and work on my 99?
I doubt it and there in no reflector in there for the high beam either. Besides, what would you gain by putting it on your bike? It's doesn't work any better. BMW claimed that the lighting was improved by 10% on the 05's but that was with the separate high AND low...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,565 Posts
Nope, they are not interchangeable. The housing, reflectors, light positions, etc. changed after 04.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I was considering the headlight is because mine has become warped inside just enough to make my HID beam skewed and not completely correctable with the adjustments we have.

At STC I a few years ago, Dave Dragon determined that in prior years of running higher wattage bulbs....I had suffered some warping of the housing enough to cause a misalignment of my beam.

So while it has been a minor nuisance for years now, I'm still looking for a headlight assembly when one comes up for sale.....I have just never been fast enough to beat Joe (Messenger13) and others to deals when they hit the For Sale section.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
730 Posts
If I were to completely replace there headlight assembly, I too would opt for the Ducati Design. Just my opinion. jrlakin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
jrlakin said:
If I were to completely replace there headlight assembly, I too would opt for the Ducati Design. Just my opinion. jrlakin
I'm guessing Deacon was recommending that jwp767 could seek out someone who recently purchased a Ducati Design headlight for a pre-05 bike and bid on their old housing.

Neodoc just got one, but he rides an '05.
 

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
Joined
·
8,158 Posts
Schweintechnik said:
I'm guessing Deacon was recommending that jwp767 could seek out someone who recently purchased a Ducati Design headlight for a pre-05 bike and bid on their old housing.

Neodoc just got one, but he rides an '05.
Now here is an idea. Wes should contact Ducati Design and ask them to help him locate a customer who wants to sell his old unit. Everybody wins!:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gilles....great idea....I'll get right on it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
jwp767 said:
Gilles....great idea....I'll get right on it!
Let us know how it turns out. I thought about that but figured Duc Designs would not want to release customer names. Maybe they'll give out your email address....
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top