BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than some cosmetic differences and the engine upgrades, are there other major differences in the '05 and newer LTs? I downloaded the service manual for the earlier versions and I was wondering if procedures like removing the tupperware have changed at all.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Howdy!
most things "standard" issue. BMW seems to try to add "features" rather than total redesign year to year...

Tupperware, basically same, Engine, tranny, "final" drive, electrical....

And so...

My '05 handles better than previous...low and I think, high speed... the engine, more ponies...

The big "worries" start at the clutch and move aft in the drive... the engine crankshaft tends to leak as does the "clutch slave cylinder" contaminating the clutch... we then have a pretty decent gearbox.. but the "final drive" is another "high failure rate" component... Sometimes replacing the bearings fixes the final drive... sometimes replacement is required.

When I first rode the bike with ABS, it was SOOOO hard due to the "touch" required.. Coming from decades of HD, it was a huge change.... Today, I hope I never have to go back..

BMW will be my last MC maker... but hopefully the LT isn't my last bike.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thhat's what I thought. Thanks. BTW, I am getting used to the weight, and to the ABS brakes. What a bike! However, I do fear that it will be a lot more expensive to maintain than my old Kawasaki. In spite of that, I am happy that I decided to buy it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts