BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that everytime i go to my dealer ,( and i go there regularly ) , there is always a 05 or 06 LT with a clutch cylinder oil leak .

I own a 05 with no problems ,but i'm getting a bit worried with the rate of failures i've seen !

Has someone experienced this problem ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Yes, at 37k, when I bought the bike second hand (99 model)from a dealer. Got it replaced under warranty (lucky me). It was the hydraulic piston by the clutch lever, that had a micro scratch lengthwise in it (the mechanic showed it to me). Not a clue how it got there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,836 Posts
ppp said:
It seems that everytime i go to my dealer ,( and i go there regularly ) , there is always a 05 or 06 LT with a clutch cylinder oil leak .

I own a 05 with no problems ,but i'm getting a bit worried with the rate of failures i've seen !

Has someone experienced this problem ?
You mean this? Clutch contamination can be prevented by drilling a hole in the trans case. You drill just behind the trans case seal to slave cyl. Others have done this. I did a major overhaul 2 weeks ago, I will write up report with pics.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
05' cyl. leak

My 05' decided to go kaput at 5000 miles. Had a loaner bike for 3 days and had a new clutch plate and slave installed. they had one on the rack for the same thing when i picked up my bike. good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,785 Posts
Not me, no sir!

Well, I am darn happy to report that my '05 is humming right along.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,165 Posts
I am really disappointed in the way BMW fails to address known problems! The failing clutch slave cylinders have been an Achilles heel on the bike since introduced in '99! You would think they would have jumped on a re-design as soon as warranty replacements started hitting the books. I don't think Honda would have suffered with replacements that long without doing something.

AND, a failing cylinder STILL takes out the clutch! BMW, you are STUPID to let something that well known continue to be a big problem.

ADDED: If I were to get a new LT, I would drill the drain hole in the tranny right away! My first clutch replacement on the 2000 LTwas at 400 miles! The second at 4,000 miles, the third at 8500 miles. You can see why I am so adamant about BMW's failure to address this rather simple device. At least they should add a drain so the cylinder failure does not automatically require a much more expensive clutch replacement.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jhowdy

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,785 Posts
dshealey said:
I am really disappointed in the way BMW fails to address known problems! The failing clutch slave cylinders have been an Achilles heel on the bike since introduced in '99! You would think they would have jumped on a re-design as soon as warranty replacements started hitting the books. I don't think Honda would have suffered with replacements that long without doing something.

AND, a failing cylinder STILL takes out the clutch! BMW, you are STUPID to let something that well known continue to be a big problem.

ADDED: If I were to get a new LT, I would drill the drain hole in the tranny right away! My first clutch replacement on the 2000 LTwas at 400 miles! The second at 4,000 miles, the third at 8500 miles. You can see why I am so adamant about BMW's failure to address this rather simple device. At least they should add a drain so the cylinder failure does not automatically require a much more expensive clutch replacement.
David,

I'm with you 100% on what you said. In fact I am going to host a NW tech session *JUST* for the clutch drilling to take place. We'll call it "Driller Thriller!":sun:

The way I see it is-all I need is a good drill/bits and someone who KNOWS *where* to drill them puppies. :p

David I sure wish you lived near. If you feel the need for a little LT time, let me know. I just happen to have a spare LT around so we could go for a ride! (BRIBE-BRIBE!!)

Anyone who lives up in the Seattle-Bellevue, Great Northwest Area that knows how to do this operation...let me know and I will set it up.

I am real sick of buying new clutches.
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
16,568 Posts
Coni,

I'm planning on being in Portland for around two weeks in the middle of January. I'll be glad to come up and help out. I'll let you know as soon as the dates are set, but I'm sure I can swing a weekend visit up your way. Just don't be surprised if I show up in a rental car with too many wheels. :(

In the mean time, check out the pics in this thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,785 Posts
Ken,
I saw one pix posted, that did not look like it was drilled *low* enough. Since you went with David and saw it straight from "The Man" I believe we have a tech session in the making.
We will move this to the NW board and get everyone's calendars synchronized and get it moving.
Thanks Ken!
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
16,568 Posts
The hole drilled wasn't at the absolute lowest part of the mount, but it was still well below the level that would allow fluid to seep into the clutch area and cause damage. It's a bit tricky to get in there without removing half of the bike, but a long drill bit and some prior knowledge will help out a lot.

I'm still up for importing David though, if you can talk him into it. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Hi:
Maybe a stupid question but would drilling an '05 be recommended?
I understand the weep hole idea but would warranty cover any contamination issues and would drilling prevent warranty coverage of the clutch system?
Ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,165 Posts
edonthenet said:
Hi:
Maybe a stupid question but would drilling an '05 be recommended?
I understand the weep hole idea but would warranty cover any contamination issues and would drilling prevent warranty coverage of the clutch system?
Ed
If I were to buy an '05, I would drill it in a heartbeat. The area where the hole is drilled is so protected that it would be hard to get anything into it, unless you ran in water deep enough. Not likely. :D Come to think about, I think we did once. Coni, Jeff? :D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,165 Posts
I had to drill a little off center because we did Ken's bike with the crossmember still in place. You can see from the second picture how I had to lean the drill in between the catalytic converter and the step in the front of the crossmember. There is also a step in the tranny housing at the bottom of the clutch cylinder boss, and since I could not get the drill to the rear of the step and angle it forward as I did on mine, I had to drill to the left of the step and angle it to the right to get near the center.

The hole is definitely low enough though. Only about 1/32" of fluid could pool before draining out, about to the bottom of the black seal. It would have to get all the way up to the hole in the center of the shaft to transverse forward to the clutch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,165 Posts
meese said:
I'm still up for importing David though, if you can talk him into it. :D
I would love to, but that is not very likely. :D

I would be glad to loan you the long drill though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,836 Posts
I am real sick of buying new clutches.
__________________
Coni
You mean these Puppies!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,836 Posts
dshealey said:
I had to drill a little off center because we did Ken's bike with the crossmember still in place. You can see from the second picture how I had to lean the drill in between the catalytic converter and the step in the front of the crossmember. There is also a step in the tranny housing at the bottom of the clutch cylinder boss, and since I could not get the drill to the rear of the step and angle it forward as I did on mine, I had to drill to the left of the step and angle it to the right to get near the center.

The hole is definitely low enough though. Only about 1/32" of fluid could pool before draining out, about to the bottom of the black seal. It would have to get all the way up to the hole in the center of the shaft to transverse forward to the clutch.
I drilled my drain at 6 o'clock, Would like to have been closer to the case. My drill bit was short, This was as close as the drill chuck would allow. If you look at the pic with the clutch slave one can see the fluid around the cylinder. So if drilled off center it should drain. Note if you do not use the center stand drilling off center will help drainage.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,165 Posts
murray said:
I drilled my drain at 6 o'clock, Would like to have been closer to the case. My drill bit was short, This was as close as the drill chuck would allow. If you look at the pic with the clutch slave one can see the fluid around the cylinder. So if drilled off center it should drain. Note if you do not use the center stand drilling off center will help drainage.
We drilled all the way to the left in your first picture, where the rear of the tranny meets the most forward part of the protrusion. This gets the hole at the very front of the nose of the cylinder so that the cylinder does not partially close off access to the hole by leaking fluid. There is probably enough clearance between the cylinder nose and the bore of the tranny boss, but having the hole as far forward as possible, coming out close to the bearing will prevent that.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top