BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a two K1200GT’s both are in excellent condition. While I have been riding for 40 year (currently riding a VStrom 1000) this will be my first BMW. The 07 is $2,500 more and has twice the miles.

2004, Very Sweet Red, 8965 miles, loaded with Heated Seat, Heated Grips, Cruise Control, Wunderlich Tank Bag, Aeroflow screen

2007, Gray\Silver, 1760 miles, ESA, BMW Top Case

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
They are two completely different bikes. The 04 is on the older "flying brick" platform where the 07 is on the latest K "slant-4" motor. I have owned both platforms and have enjoyed them both, but the 07 if a lighter, smoother, more powerful machine. That's where I'd be spending my money. If you can test ride both and see which feels best to you.

·
Cat Herder
5,852 Posts
Neither one is broken in yet. You can't go wrong with either one.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
whalenwp said:
I am looking at a two K1200GT’s both are in excellent condition. While I have been riding for 40 year (currently riding a VStrom 1000) this will be my first BMW. The 07 is $2,500 more and has twice the miles.

2004, Very Sweet Red, 8965 miles, loaded with Heated Seat, Heated Grips, Cruise Control, Wunderlich Tank Bag, Aeroflow screen

2007, Gray\Silver, 1760 miles, ESA, BMW Top Case

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Both David and Andy are right. Depending on when the 2007 was originally purchased, it may have a few months of the original warranty left. (... and if there is warranty left, you may be able to pick up an inexpensive extended warranty if you wish.)

I own a 2007 and have never ridden the 2004, but the 2007 seems like the better deal. Many of the parts on the 2007 are still in common with the current 2010 GT model.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Let me add my $.02 worth as I was faced with this very same choice. A fantastic 2003 KGT, 18K miles, perfect and fully farkled or a 2007 K1200GT, 35K miles, Xtnded Warranty, fully loaded and farkled, and full maintenance just done (new tires, new brakes, new Air Cleaner, all fluids, etc.). I chose the 2007.

Why? As was said above, they both are great, but the new one is lighter, quicker, has non servo brakes,and feels a good bit more "comfortable"for my body shape and size in terms of fit over a long day/distance. Can't back that up yet as I have ridden neither one further than 80 miles at a stretch!

They both are great and I think the "brick" will be looked at as a classic, and the end of an era of a premium, long distance bike that is still more mechanical than "electronic".

Good luck with your choice. Both will be excellent and lots of fun. :wave

·
Registered
378 Posts
andy said:
Neither one is broken in yet. You can't go wrong with either one.
Apart from far higher running costs on the 04 to the 07.

Cam chain tensioners at 36k, each service costing much more - all for 22bhp less power than the 07, smaller tank on the 04...

I know where I'd put my money - oh, I did - I bought a slant GT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts