BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I have posted a few threads over the past few weeks detailing my brake system problem. The bike has 47k on it and i never flushed the brake system before. I did the flush last week and could not only get a tiny bit of fluid out of the front calipers. The brakes work okay some of the time when riding the bike but occasionally get a "soft, no response" from the front lever. This then triggers the alternating "brake failure" lights on the dash.

WELL....the dealer has taken a look and tells me I need a new integrated pump. Approximately $750 labor and ~$1000-1200 for the pump.....GREAT!! This is my first BMW and I have been waiting for my first "big repair bill".....here it is..lol. I have been toying with the idea of selling/trading this bike. My questions are:

1. Any one interested in a dark grey 04 with 47k in "good condition" aside from the brakes?

2. How does one go about trying to set up a "tech session". I would gladly donate my bike to do this brake repair and also adjustment of valves as it has never had that done either.

3. Any general ideas of any ways to reduce my "dealer repair bill". Is the brake pump serviceable?? Dealer says no. Is it possible it could be electrical, dirty connectors, etc?

ANY THOUGHTS OR SUGGESTIONS would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
There are a few on E-Bay . The dealer might be right ,... But , Maybe you need to flush it more . With the power brakes , you should be able to empty the brake resavor pretty fast .

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Patric said:
There are a few on E-Bay . The dealer might be right ,... But , Maybe you need to flush it more . With the power brakes , you should be able to empty the brake resavor pretty fast .
All the ones on ebay are for older models.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I may have misunderstood the dealer....He was not 100% on the price when I talked to the parts guy, He is going to get back to me with a definite price.....GREAT.... I think this has made up my mind to getting rid of the LT and adding another HD to my garage. I have always ridden HD's (27 years) prior to getting this LT. I still own three HD's at this time. I love the ride of the LT but the repair costs of some things on this bike are ABSURD....Never had anything even close to this ridiculous on my HD's. I know...apples/oranges and I did not do the "recommended annual" brake flush. My neighbor has an 02 LT with 90k on it...no problems. He has never done the brake flush on his bike either but I think I will MAKE him do it now!!

I've never done anything other than routine oil and filter changes on my other bikes. Yeah...I have had some minor mechanical issues a few times but the repairs were much less painful $$$ wise than this and some easy to do myself. I guess I'm learning an expensive lesson. This sucks...

Steve

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Patric said:

Patrick,
Thanks for the "heads up" but the integrated pump on my bike is much different. I think the style I have was started around 03?
UNLESS....the non-integrated style pump can be used on my bike and just not have the integrated brakes. That would be fine with me!! Okay experts....yes?....no?...

Thanks, Steve

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,116 Posts
That IS the correct unit for an 04. The orentation may throw you off but it has the right ports on it for flush and bleed, plus the reservoirs are remoted.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Loser
You can take the pump completely off and run it without power brakes or ABS if you wanted. Would just have a stronger feel at the fingers. No one would even know until they look real close behind the left side cover.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
That pump, if it is off an '02, would be an Integrated pump. The only Non-Integrated pumps were on '99 through some early '01 LT's.

John
loser said:
Patrick,
Thanks for the "heads up" but the integrated pump on my bike is much different. I think the style I have was started around 03?
UNLESS....the non-integrated style pump can be used on my bike and just not have the integrated brakes. That would be fine with me!! Okay experts....yes?....no?...

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
jzeiler said:
That IS the correct unit for an 04. The orentation may throw you off but it has the right ports on it for flush and bleed, plus the reservoirs are remoted.

John,
I'll have to look closer at mine but I think the pump in the listing is a little different than the one on my bike. Mine has a few bleed nipples (Integrated circuit??) that are recessed into deeper holes in the pump body housing. Even if the physical appearance is a bit different I definitely believe you that it has all the correct circuits and will work!! I have some options to consider from the last few posts people have made. I like the idea of bypassing the whole pump and just having "basic standard" hydraulics.

Thanks to all for the help so far.....
Steve

·
Registered
832 Posts
I had the same problem on my GSA. Dealer said I needed new pump = $$$$$$.
Talked situation over with independent mechanic and agreed that we would go with "flushing the S#!T out of it" first. Well, that seems to have solved the problem for my bike.

We did discuss the possibility of having new brake lines made and eliminating the whole power abs thing. I'd really rather not do that but it does seem to be possible. Plenty of other bikes we've all ridden to this point never had this system. You would just have to adjust to it I suppose.

The factory manual says in bold letters to flush the brake system every year and follows that with ten pages of directions. It seems that abs issues are the new final drive failure. Lots of postings on this topic lately.

Good luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
kk610lt said:
I had the same problem on my GSA. Dealer said I needed new pump = $$$$$$.
Talked situation over with independent mechanic and agreed that we would go with "flushing the S#!T out of it" first. Well, that seems to have solved the problem for my bike.

We did discuss the possibility of having new brake lines made and eliminating the whole power abs thing. I'd really rather not do that but it does seem to be possible. Plenty of other bikes we've all ridden to this point never had this system. You would just have to adjust to it I suppose.

The factory manual says in bold letters to flush the brake system every year and follows that with ten pages of directions. It seems that abs issues are the new final drive failure. Lots of postings on this topic lately.

Good luck.
Yeah....I think that is my first plan of attack....FLUSH, FLUSH, FLUSH. If I do not get lucky with that I may consider a used pump but that worries me...not knowing the history plus the work/cost involved to install. I may also contact the ATE company referenced a few posts up...they show an "LT pump" tab on there inquiry list so maybe... What i like the best and am leaning towards is the total bypass of the pump. I am not an aggressive rider and a heavier feel on the lever and pedal is okay and actually more familiar to me.

I talked briefly to the dealer a few minutes ago and mentioned the by-passing of the pump completely....he kept saying yeah, buts its a "power brake system". Maybe he did not understand what i was saying or maybe he was just "staying the course" hoping for a $3K plus brake repair.

I never looked at "the factory manual" before and have only given "half hearted credence" to "maintenance schedules on other bikes I have had. I usually just worry about keeping clean, fresh oil in the engine and tranny and ride!! BUT...my other bikes have not been quite as "high-tech" as the LT...guess I'm learning a lesson.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
theoldone said:
here is a place that may be able to rebuild your abs unit. You would have to contact them to see what they can do

http://www.autoecu.com/

Good Luck
I called and talked to the guys at the link above. They only "refurbish" the ABS electronics. They do nothing regarding rebuilding of the pump on the unit. They did say they have access to many places to buy used parts and would look around for me to see what they find.

Also...JOHN Z. informed me that if I totally bypass the pump/abs and hook up directly from the master cyls to the calipers that my brake lights will not work. Apparently they are "tied into" the ABS/pump system somehow.....AAHhhh....it gets better all the time...lol. Just when I think i see light at the end of the tunnel...lol. That $1000 used pump on ebay is looking better n better all the time....

Again...thanks for the continued input....
Steve

·
Registered
832 Posts
Here is another possibility.....

US Office
BBA Remanufacturing Inc
300 Myles Standish Blvd
Taunton, MA 02780
Toll Free: 1 (866) 573 - 2740
Local: 1 (508) 822 - 4490
Fax: 1 (508) 822-4491
email: [email protected]

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have my 02 at the dealer now for the pump to be replaced. $3250 and I don't feel good about it! I'll be looking to sell it also when I get it back.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
ronnieds said:
I have my 02 at the dealer now for the pump to be replaced. $3250 and I don't feel good about it! I'll be looking to sell it also when I get it back.

Sorry to hear someone else is going through this RIDICULOUSLY expensive repair. Its been almost a week now and I am just beginning to "get my head around it"....lol. A friend of mine had an entire engine replaced in a Ford station wagon a few weeks ago and it was ~$1500. Granted...it was a "used engine"...but c'mon. I know...there are many, many more Ford wagons and used engines out there than LT's.

I think I am going to bring my LT home and continue trying to flush and also try to "pull" the fluid through the calipers and pump using a vacuum pump. If that doesn't work...she's sitting for a while and I'll just be riding my HD's.
Steve

1 - 20 of 26 Posts