BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a '04 K1200GT. :D She's a beauty...and I need a run around bike. The bike only has 8k on it and appears to be sound.
Are there any issues that I should be aware of? Is there anything to look for?
Any help would be appreciated.

It is the fastest color....Blue :wave

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am looking at a '04 K1200GT. Something to ride around town in....not quite as cumbersome as the LT.

Has anybody had any problems with the '04 GT?
What should I look for or look out for?

Any help would be appreciated. :D

·
Registered
656 Posts
Other then hang on for dear life LOL that's one fun bike

·
Registered
845 Posts
GolfGuy said:
I am looking at a '04 K1200GT. Something to ride around town in....not quite as cumbersome as the LT.

No known problems to speak of - the only complaint I have with mine is a few of the tupperware screws that can be maddening, pretty standard fare for BMW. You will love it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: antenna problem

I am curious about what to do with the antenna on the K1200LT when it comes to putting a bike cover on. Even the Gold Wing has a folding antenna so as to facilitate a bike cover with no problem - but BMW chose not to consider that. Even taking the antenna off is not that easy. Is there any other short-type antenna that will fit the BMW mounting system? Even the BMW antenna mounting system is different than any other factory motorcycle antenna mounting system.

·
Registered
635 Posts
GolfGuy said:
I am looking at a '04 K1200GT. :D She's a beauty...and I need a run around bike. The bike only has 8k on it and appears to be sound.
Are there any issues that I should be aware of? Is there anything to look for?
Any help would be appreciated.

It is the fastest color....Blue :wave
My buddy bought an 03 this past spring, really a great bike and in my opinion better looking then the new GT's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
GolfGuy said:

Typical RS/GT issues:

Broken plastic fuel disconnects (look for them to have been replaced with metal ones).
Rear main seal leak. Look for a oil seep along the transmission / engine mating faces.
Clutch slave leak ... the clutch slave should have been resealed with a new one with a wiper.
Headlight ground wire failure ... should be replaced with a newer headlamp assembly.
Weep/seep at timing chain cover.
Rough idle ... there was a "voluntary recall" on the ECU's. Customers complaining of rough idle, and having a build date within a specific time window, were eligible for a free ECU replacement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts