BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 03 KT with low miles. While riding the radio intermittently, very briefly cuts out and then back to tuned station. Tried to tie the cutting out to bumps, over head wires, etc. but can't tie the cut-outs to anything. Sometimes the cut-outs are frequent and other times I can go miles without any. I tried to find a similar problem on this website but haven't had any luck. Anyone have any ideas...

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Eric109 said:
Just purchased a 03 KT with low miles. While riding the radio intermittently, very briefly cuts out and then back to tuned station. Tried to tie the cutting out to bumps, over head wires, etc. but can't tie the cut-outs to anything. Sometimes the cut-outs are frequent and other times I can go miles without any. I tried to find a similar problem on this website but haven't had any luck. Anyone have any ideas...
Simple check first. Since bike has low mileage, may have sat for a bit, so I would take the antenna off and clean up the contact point with a little elec spray cleaner. Then reinstall good and firm. If that's not it, then I'm clueless on the other possibilities - sorry. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
If it turns out that the buttons on the control panel for your radio has leaked and corroded the radio circuit board then the worst case scenario is that you will get to buy a Jensen marine radio and replace the current unit. Not a bad deal all things considered!

You could replace the existing radio with another BMW radio but it seems that the Jensen is the way to go.

I wish you the best,

Loren

·
Registered
717 Posts
Stations fading in and out is most always a bad antenna connection somewhere. My CL radio's weak spot is the very end of the antenna wire. It just won't stay where it's supposed to be, and the center wire is the thinnest I've ever seen, thinner than a hair or a thread. Look in there first, IMO. Just when I think I have it all fixed because the radio reception is great in my driveway, I'll take it on a road test and 5 miles away it'll start acting up again. Very annoying.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
If the very tip of the antenna is broken off, is the antenna 'ruint'? Forgot to secure mine once when jacking it up on the lift. Duh.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Razmataz said:
If the very tip of the antenna is broken off, is the antenna 'ruint'? Forgot to secure mine once when jacking it up on the lift. Duh.
Probably not.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I too ride an '03. When I plug my cell into the recharge outlet near the rear top case and throw my cell into the trunk to charge while I ride hooked up to my Scala, the signal will cut out periodically. Are you charging something while riding?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BigGeo said:
I too ride an '03. When I plug my cell into the recharge outlet near the rear top case and throw my cell into the trunk to charge while I ride hooked up to my Scala, the signal will cut out periodically. Are you charging something while riding?
I'm not charging anything. This morning on the ride to work the radio worked flawlessly for about 20 miles and then started cutting out periodically again. The bike had 3200 miles on it when I bought it so it sat quite a bit but always garaged so the buttons aren't cracked and I doubt that the bike ever saw any rain.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Raz, this has been a concern of mine. When I put my bike on the lift it gets a nice bend in the antenna when it hits the ceiling. Not a tight bend just a reasonable curve. Now, if I raise the bike and the garage door is open it really puts a wowie in it. I'm going to measure my antenna with a dial caliper and see if I can find a cylindrical sleeve with 2 set screws in it that is the right size. Then I'll cut off the antenna, put it back together with the coupler and remove it before I lift the bike. I plan to make the antenna cut about 12" from the base.

I'll post what I find out.

Loren

Razmataz said:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Raz, this has been a concern of mine. When I put my bike on the lift it gets a nice bend in the antenna when it hits the ceiling. Not a tight bend just a reasonable curve. Now, if I raise the bike and the garage door is open it really puts a wowie in it. I'm going to measure my antenna with a dial caliper and see if I can find a cylindrical sleeve with 2 set screws in it that is the right size. Then I'll cut off the antenna, put it back together with the coupler and remove it before I lift the bike. I plan to make the antenna cut about 12" from the base.

I'll post what I find out.

Loren
What I usually do is bend it over and stick it through the luggage rack. Then put a small rubber tip coated pinch clamp on it to keep it from accidentally coming back out. Works well...just forgot once.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts