BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the recomended synthetic oil to use on the LT. Do you recomend staying with the BMW Oil?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
tkirklan said:
Whats the recomended synthetic oil to use on the LT. Do you recomend staying with the BMW Oil?
Hey, Terry - good to see ya on here.

Man, don't do a search on this - you'll be up for three nights, reading all the oil thread chit!! :D :D ;)

Tell ya what me and ole Toad use, and have been using for the past 8 years. Amsoil 20W/50 synth, and their oil filter. We change it in the garage, and try to do it every 3,000 miles, or close to it. We also use the Amsoil gear lube for the tranny and the final drive. Change those on the same schedule. Overkill prolly, butt we don't lose any sleep over it. ;)

Any of the usual synthetics you find at a dealer's shop are gonna work. Mobil 1 gets good mentions, as does the ?Spectra?, as does the BMW brand (which may be made by the same manufacture - I'm not sure). Redline gets talked about a lot for the tranny/final drive. Other folks will be here shortly to add to the thread - you may find that there are no 'bad' synths for the LT's engine, least none I know of.

You doin' your own oil change, or working with Tulsa/Bentonville/Little Rock?? All good for the most part, btw.

Take care, Terry - best regards.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Terry,
I have changed my oil & filter by BMW recommendation every 6,000 miles and many on this forum use Mobile 1.
Just my .02
Benton

·
Registered
276 Posts
I love oil threads!

+1 on Dick's AMSoil recommendations. It really is good stuff. On the changing every 3K... interestingly almost all synthetic oil manufacturers state that you can go 2x the normal change interval (for us, 6K - 12K changes). I go 6K on the engine oil and 12K on the tranny/final drive. I have done this on my VRods for years and I am consistently amazed at how good the oil looks coming out.

Mobil 1 is a great product too. I worked for Mobil with the engineers that developed it. Amazing stuff. They did stuff to cars you would not believe in the initial testing. In fact, I bought one of their test cars (a '70-something Dodge Colt - the old japanese one) that had run 100K miles without an oil change (but filter changes every 10K). That car never used a drop of oil either and ran like a top.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
BMW recommends Castrol brand per LT shop manual.

I have used both Amsoil and Mobil1 synthetics in the past. They are both good.

tkirklan said:

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Hey Terry, I did a little (very little) oil research a while back, and found that "motorcycle oil" is preferred when engine and transmission share the same oil. I believe the LT engine to be a car engine,requiring 20/50wt oil, in any brand that you feel comfortable with, as you do in your car.

Very many on this site are using alternate filters and oils successfully. Choose the one that gives you confidence.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just want to be crystal clear before I go and do something stupid -

Y'all use the regular Mobil 1 15W-50? Like I would put in a car?

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Yes. On the LT there is really no reason to use motorcycle specific oil. Motorcycle specific oil is generally required on bikes that have a wet clutch. If you have a wet clutch on a LT, you've got other problems. :eek:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Steve_R said:
Yes. On the LT there is really no reason to use motorcycle specific oil. Motorcycle specific oil is generally required on bikes that have a wet clutch. If you have a wet clutch on a LT, you've got other problems. :eek:
Not to sound argumentative but on the sporty I used Mobil 1 75W90 gear oil; engine oil for the engine, gear oil for the gears. Some sporty owners choose to buy the same oil for both holes; there are some strong arguments for using lubricants designed specifically for gears.

But, I do agree with your last statement: if your LT has a wet clutch, you've got other problems.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Steve_R said:
Another thing to remember...motorcycles run much hotter than cars, so normal oil can break down much easier.

I don't find it convincing that bmw oil is better than Mobil1 or Amsoil.

Also when people say once you use synthetic you can't go back. This makes no technical sense.

Synthetic oils are great, you can go much longer without an oil change. I've heard arguments on whether they bond to metal as well as regular oils do, so if you have all the tools and a garage where its easy to do an oil change, I'd use regular oil. It's more cost effective.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the feedback. Its been a while since I've changed it myself, and I need to start doing the easy maintenance and trying to learn the more difficult part.... :) I'm taking a 2 week trip up into New Mexico and Colorado and just trying to get black beauty ready to go.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
You might wanr to log on to the Mobil 1 web site. They make a pretty compelling case to use their motorcycle synthetic. They were forced to remove a couple additives in their auomotive products to meet current federal regs that they kept in their motorcycle oil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
here is another question, I have 3700milers on my LT, took it into a dealer for an oil change and asked for synthetic oil, they said they dont recommend syn till the break in period is over. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,594 Posts
Yes it sounds right. 12k is the earliest recommendation to switch. With all the rear main seal failures, I am suggesting that you keep on using dino. Something with the synthetic oil that may harden the rear main seal faster.
Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Dar said:
here is another question, I have 3700milers on my LT, took it into a dealer for an oil change and asked for synthetic oil, they said they dont recommend syn till the break in period is over. Does that sound right?
Yep, because of the extreme anti wear characteristics of synthetic oil and the fact that "break-in" is "wear-in" it interferes with the process. You'll want to use Dino until the break-in period is complete then switch to synthetic. That process will give you max mileage and least likelihood of burning oil.

·
Registered
29 Posts
+1 on the Amsoil. I know for a fact that you can run twice the recomended milage for the stock bmw requirements. A great oil for the bike is the 10W-30 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil. Also I am a dealer and I can get you some at less than retail. Steve

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
mtrevelino said:
Yes it sounds right. 12k is the earliest recommendation to switch. With all the rear main seal failures, I am suggesting that you keep on using dino. Something with the synthetic oil that may harden the rear main seal faster.
Just my $.02
I'm with you. Roman cycle said I had a seal issue and was leaking but ride it til the end of the season and bring it in during the winter. This was last year. I cleaned it up and put non synth in and its still dry. So for me the dino is the way to go.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts