BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 03 K1200LT it has a salvage title asked NJ motor vehicle before I got it
and was told no problem it has a PA. title.
Long store short I am SCREWED .
Anyone know where to look for a 03 frame with a good title.
Thanks Ernie

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
ussually frames on Ebay

Beemerboneyard

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Besides price of the pats, it is probably going to cost you a lot of $$$ to ship, and then a whole bunch of time to swap out everything from old frame to replacement. Keep in mind that the rear tubular frame has the VIN plate on it, so you would have to replace the cast frame piece and matching number rear tubular frame.

Are you planning on selling the bike and worried the "salvage" title will be a problem? Did the seller disclose the salvage title? Will you recover your costs in the end, or are you better off just riding it?

Not saying you are wrong. I am just curious.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Te seller had it on flea market in the MOA .
with a PA salvage title the problem is he lives in Canada 1st problem
2nd problem no one registered the bike it went from PA to NY
Insurance co to an auto dealer they sold it to a guy in NY
He sold it to a guy in Canada In Canada the guy could not register so he sold it to get his money back.
I called three times to state MV told them all about it was told it was not any problem .
So I got it sent the papers to state MV and got a nice letter back saying you con not register
a salvage vehicle from Canada in New Jersey. SO I called the man on the phone and told
him a thing or two not NICE THINGS.
went to MV today with some missing paper work bypassed the Canada thing the girl did it all was fine until she put in the VIN # the man put a vehicle stop on my Vin #.
I can never register it in New Jersey unless he takes it off.
Bike is all fixed 2500.00 to buy around 1500.00 in parts to fix.
Now what to do?
Ernie

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
What kind of "stop" on the VIN? Are you saying the seller in Canada did this?

Did you pay for the bike in full? If so, how does he have any say in the matter?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No the head of NJ DMV put the stop on it
What gives one person the right to say the
DMV will not do a registertion .
I paid for the. Bike when I got it

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
salvage title is done by insurance companies and rebranding varies state to state and probably province to province - salvage title is a North American standard

I do not think it's possible to ever rebrand a vehicle in Canada, at least in Ontario and the previous Canadian owner probably did not know that - there is no way for an individual or dealership to do anything about it - all up to insurance companies and Dep't of Transportation

·
Registered
139 Posts
Perhaps you can title and license in another state. Any relatives live in a bordering state? If you have a valid title and current registration from another state would they still deny you a registration?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
In Washington State you provide the Department of Licensing (The DMV ONLY issues driver licenses) the serial number of the vehicle and they run the number to see if it's stolen. If not they issue you a one year registration. Ride it like it's titled to you. Do this again the following year. The third time you register it you get the title. Sweet!

By the way, the DOL is contracted to private parties unless you go to the county courthouse. The contract folks and the state DMV folks often do business under the same roof. Life is soooooo much sweeter when you do business with the DOL side. They smile, ask how they can help you, thank you when the teansaction is complete, collect their fee and off you go. Not quite so much on the State DMV side.......

Loren

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
iowalt said:
Perhaps you can title and license in another state. Any relatives live in a bordering state? If you have a valid title and current registration from another state would they still deny you a registration?
Not all states do salvage title, so if you lawfully registered in one of those states you might clear the salvage title.

Unfortunately for you, this is generally considered unethical and is unlawful in some places. It is how a lot of flood-totaled cars from Katrina were "title washed" and sold under false pretenses. There may even be federal laws against this now, but I cannot say for certain as that is out of my area of expertise. Unlawful or not, I would counsel you against doing it.

Think about it... if you launder the title, then aren't you doing to the next owner what the previous owner did to you... selling a bike represented as clean when it is really a salvage bike?

Just sayin'... :corn:

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Maybe you can get either PA or NY registration?

Bob

·
Registered
232 Posts
There must be an appeal process so look into that. Government is not absolute and other states allow you to obtain a salvage title so that you must divulge to the next buyer. We have salvaged title bikes in Texas all the time. No matter how much some petty bureaucrat wants you to think they are the final arbiter they are not. It is just a matter of how much time a money you want to spend to fight them.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
moralem said:
There must be an appeal process so look into that. Government is not absolute and other states allow you to obtain a salvage title so that you must divulge to the next buyer. We have salvaged title bikes in Texas all the time. No matter how much some petty bureaucrat wants you to think they are the final arbiter they are not. It is just a matter of how much time a money you want to spend to fight them.
+1

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would never sell the bike to someone without the whole story
We in the BMW bike world would not do that. I HOPE
I want to keep the bike that is why i bought it.
If I get it registered in another state wont it always have a salvage title?
But I can never register it in New Jersey as long as it has a stop vehicle tied to the Vin #.
Ernie

ps is there Attorneys that would do things like this????

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
elbuff said:
I would never sell the bike to someone without the whole story
We in the BMW bike world would not do that. I HOPE
that would be quite naive, most things I have bought used via ebay etc have been OK but I have received parts(from US) I paid a few hundred dollars for that went from the package to the garbage bin - what are you going to do waste money going hundreds of miles to try and find someone?

just before I bought my 2K I looked at an imported American 2002, the brakes felt "different" but was prepared to buy it until I decided to check the date code on the rear tire and when I rotated it discovered it had a bad/partially broken lower u joint - everyone who had that bike had to know it was a money pit - offered $2,500 - it's still for sale - no sucker yet

buyer beware

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you register it in another state it will have to have a salvage title. It will always have one for the rest of its life. But since you plan to keep it, that should not be an issue to you. Good luck

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've done business with these guys and had no problems. I've registered 4 bikes using them. One salvage title and the other three with no title. They reigister the bike in Maine for you and you can take it to your DMV and transfer the Maine registration to your state. Pretty simply really. I'd use them again. I also sold all four bikes with a regular title from my state after all said and done. http://www.its-titles.com/

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks the title co. is looking into it to see if they can help me .
If they cant what if I sold it to someone with a easier DMV than NJ
just get my money back and start over. and I will give them all the paper work
and the whole story . what kind of deal would an 03 with 30K miles on it be worth?
I put 6k on it myself after the repairs . trip to Fla. and back and a trip to Finger Lakes
rally and back two up wife never complained once about the ride .
Ernie

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
can't make much sense of this entire thread.. But, if you need a frame and other odds and ends let me know...

Got to get the crap out of the way prior to the move this summer...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts