BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the uninitiated, Cactus is Oz slang for "unserviceable", there are also a miriad of other terms which adequately describe the same condition, as we all know, but the moderator doesn't like the use of some expletives. Now, to the issue, a mate has an '03 and the ABS apparently is not operating. He has had it to a dealer and they charged him $329 to put the GS911 on and tell him the ABS has a fault and the modulator unit must be replaced. He asked for some more detail after he got back up off the floor because they had just told him the unit is $4100AU, plus $1000AU to fit it !! The dealer technician would not elaborate on the explanation of the fault, so I'm wondering if they actually know all they need to know about this problem. Any advice, or additional checks I could assist him with ?? Is there a relay for the ABS unit on the '03 ? Thanks, Dennis.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,796 Posts
Unfortunately there is no repair of the units - yet. I have a Cactus unit here to play with but no real good way to test any repairs without a donor bike.

At each output port there are some fine mesh filters that can become clogged if regular flushes are not performed. There are four pressure transducers, two motors and pumps and a host of metering ports. Then there is the electronic "brain". None of which there is readily available parts for.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tie the rope to the end of his wallet then drop the rock to snatch the wallet from his pocket. I'll put money on the fact that the ABS has never had a fluid flush. Be ignorant,......... pay the price. Expensive lesson.

·
Registered
92 Posts
LOL....I feel your pain!!

After the dealer told me the same thing and after a year of me "tinkering with and doing multiple flushes on my 04....I bit the bullet and bought a new one. I just picked it up at the dealer this past saturday. They gave me a 20% discount on the price when I told them I can get the same discount by ordering from another dealer and having the part shipped. I'll hopefully install it this coming weekend.

As John Z. said above and after he recommended the same to me last year...you can try cleaning screens but that did not solve my problem. I did three complete fill/bleed cycles but keep getting the same faulty operation. I was going to try taking apart further but there are some very "unique" fasteners holding this unit together.

Steve

·
Registered
576 Posts
loser said:
LOL....I feel your pain!!

After the dealer told me the same thing and after a year of me "tinkering with and doing multiple flushes on my 04....I bit the bullet and bought a new one. I just picked it up at the dealer this past saturday. They gave me a 20% discount on the price when I told them I can get the same discount by ordering from another dealer and having the part shipped. I'll hopefully install it this coming weekend.

As John Z. said above and after he recommended the same to me last year...you can try cleaning screens but that did not solve my problem. I did three complete fill/bleed cycles but keep getting the same faulty operation. I was going to try taking apart further but there are some very "unique" fasteners holding this unit together.

Steve
Are there any photos of those fasteners? I'm feelin' cocky after I repaired a power steering pump on my Subaru. An $800 dealership repair was performed in 2-3 hours for $3.00 in o-rings.

With 15,000 bikes shipped to the US over the lifespan of manufacture, sooner or later SOMEONE will have to figure out how to repair them!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Actually, if it's these:

Harbor Freight sells a security bit set that fits 'em...although they may only really work well tightening the screws...it may be a case of 'drill out and replace'.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Exactly....Kind of a "tri-lobed" torx fastener. I was searching MAC, Snap-on etc with one of the mechanics here at my company but couldn't find them. And yeah....probably torqued down so tight that the Harbour freight tool will strip. Good to know though and ironic.....I was actually gonna stop in at H.F. tonight for some other "junk".

Steve

·
Registered
100 Posts
I tried the flush method a few times, and gave up as well. I found a low mile pump, 15,000 miles, from a used bike. I paid $750.00 for it. I spent way too much time figuring out how to swap it out, but I was able to get it done with the help of this forum and the PDF version of the BMW shop manual for the ABS supplement.

I'm trying to find the link for the used parts place, will post if I find it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
loser said:
Exactly....Kind of a "tri-lobed" torx fastener. I was searching MAC, Snap-on etc with one of the mechanics here at my company but couldn't find them. And yeah....probably torqued down so tight that the Harbour freight tool will strip. Good to know though and ironic.....I was actually gonna stop in at H.F. tonight for some other "junk".

Steve
Did it look like the middle row?

IMG_1348 by Matey-O, on Flickr

1 - 10 of 10 Posts