BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

02 k1200LTE

6K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  tips727 
#1 ·
I am in the process of buying an 02 K1200LTE, with 96000 miles on it..Was recently serviced, with new brakes, fluid changes..Still have one more payment til I can pick it up..
My situation is: I got an email from the owner that the bike has just started slipping in 4th and 5th gear..he claims the bike tipped over in the wind and that's the reason for the slippage.
I don't agree with that at all, however he says he rode it yesterday and the slipping is going away..So I am of the opinion that it will need a clutch and related seals, etc.. and plan on that asap...however, I don't have the coin to take it to a dealer (none local, either), so wonder if there is anyone around here in Central Washington that's done a clutch job and willing to help out a new owner...I did get this bike for just over half of what the trade in value is, but should I just get my money back or go ahead..

Rick
Moses Lake, Wa. :confused:

#2 ·
Not sure how falling over in the wind would make the clutch start to slip unless there is oil or brake fluid already sloshing around and it got mixed on the clutch.

I would guess you are in for a clutch and seal replacement job. Also look at the slave while you go by it to get to the clutch. :(

#3 ·
My thoughts exactly..dry clutch should have no oil in the bellhousing (for lack of a better word)...

#4 ·
I think John has given a good reading on your situation Rick. Almost any LT rider will tell you of times that their bikes have fallen over - it's not like it happens all the time, but most of us have screwed up in low speed situations by applying the front brake while the bike is in a slight turn. I know I have done it three or four times. But associating clutch slippage with that doesn't make sense without a seal leakage either in the rear main or the clutch slave cylinder. I know my tip overs have never resulted in clutch slippage.

JC "Tips" Thomas

#5 ·
olddog1946 said:
I am in the process of buying an 02 K1200LTE, with 96000 miles on it..Was recently serviced, with new brakes, fluid changes..Still have one more payment til I can pick it up..
My situation is: I got an email from the owner that the bike has just started slipping in 4th and 5th gear..he claims the bike tipped over in the wind and that's the reason for the slippage.
I don't agree with that at all, however he says he rode it yesterday and the slipping is going away..So I am of the opinion that it will need a clutch and related seals, etc.. and plan on that asap...however, I don't have the coin to take it to a dealer (none local, either), so wonder if there is anyone around here in Central Washington that's done a clutch job and willing to help out a new owner...I did get this bike for just over half of what the trade in value is, but should I just get my money back or go ahead..

Rick
Moses Lake, Wa. :confused:

Well, here is my opinion on buying an LT with a slipping clutch.

I wouldn't buy it even if I was going to do the work myself. Even then, the parts run pretty high, soooooooooo, I'd probably pass on the purchase as there are other bikes out there to buy.
You're going to need/borrow some special tools too. :bmw:
Just my 2 cents worth.

#7 ·
deanwoolsey said:
Yep, if it's slipping from being knocked over it's because there was a large amount of oil in the case below the clutch where it is not supposed to be. I would only buy that bike if you are getting it cheap enough to allow $2,000.00 for a clutch job.

I would do the job myself (preferably with some one experienced) but even if I had to spend two grand to have it repaired I would still have less in it than any 99-02 K1200LT I have seen advertised. The bike does seem to run fine and with the exception of the chrome strips on the right hand bag and fairing to be in good shape.

#8 ·
Well, there you go then. All the advice and help you need is right here on this site. If you are mechanically inclined you're looking at around 600 bucks or so (check that figure) to get the parts and do it yourself. It's not like most bikes, though. You have to split the case for a clutch job. You really should have a lift. Do a little reading before you decide. If you don't get that one do keep looking. It's a wonderful ride.

#9 ·
Sounds like you are getting a good price and if you are mechanically adept, there should be no problem replacing the clutch, slave, and seals. Do the weep hole procedure whilst you have her apart. As Dean says, invest in a lift, you won't regret it. I even use mine to service my riding mower! :D As you said, you are not near a dealer so looks like you would do most all of your own maintenance. One thing for sure, once you do the clutch project, you will know your bike very well.

As for the chrome strips on the side cases, BMR Products make a black strip you can apply to the surface for about $49.00.

Let us know what your decision is and keep us posted on your progress on the repairs. :cool: :cool:

#10 ·
Rick, I have been to Moses Lake several times. Make sure you don't park the beast sidestand to the wind or it might blow over. I had it happen here in Vancouver and our winds are light weights compared to the hurricane force winds you get in Moses Lake! BTW, I was sitting on the bike when it blew over!

Loren

#12 ·
Diolach said:
I just saw your thread and noticed this other one on the forum. It should help with doing the clutch job. I've been looking them over as I'm going to have to do one once I get moved into my new house. In case the link doesn't work the header was: K1200LT 2005 - Clutch Parts List

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65462
The linked to thread is about my LT. Will update further as I get closer to doing the clutch. If you happen to be in the D/FW area, you are welcome to come out. Heck, bring you LT and we can do both at the same time!

#13 ·
deputy5211 said:
The linked to thread is about my LT. Will update further as I get closer to doing the clutch. If you happen to be in the D/FW area, you are welcome to come out. Heck, bring you LT and we can do both at the same time!
Tony - I had read in one of your posts from January that you were going to do your clutch or replace your rear main seal or something like that. But now I see that you still have that yet to do. I will be watching for your future posts on that project because I may be looking at a similar job on my '05. I first noticed that I had an oil leak when I was putting it under the cover for the winter and wasn't inclined to dig into it then. Maybe as soon as this coming weekend I will try to figure out where the oil is coming from. I don't like being pessimistic but I am concerned about the rear main seal even though I don't have any clutch slippage yet.

Tips

#14 ·
wa1200lt said:
Rick, I have been to Moses Lake several times. Make sure you don't park the beast sidestand to the wind or it might blow over. I had it happen here in Vancouver and our winds are light weights compared to the hurricane force winds you get in Moses Lake! BTW, I was sitting on the bike when it blew over!

Loren

I hear ya, we do get a blow every now and then (mostly now, lol) ..just had some 70 mph gusts two days ago..and I don't have a garage, so I guess I'll have to get in some practice on that center stand..(I couldn't put it on it when I checked it out)

#15 ·
I just thought I'd mention there is a 2000 LT over in edmonds for $5500 that has 58K miles, and has had everything done on it, clutch, slave, seals, throttle cables, bunches of stuff, Think about what you are paying for the 99, and factor in the costs of the clutch replacement, seals, etc, plus the labor.....that guy in edmonds may take less.....Think about it...(its on c-list)
Good Luck!

#16 ·
IMHO, that "rattling" noise you hear is the rattle snake about to strike. In the words of Robby the Robot "Danger Will Robinson".

Aren't there better LT's out there without slipping clutches? I'm sure you're capable of doing the clutch replacement, but, is it worth your time and energy?

Caveat Emptor[/I.

IMHO, I'd keep shopping.

#17 ·
casualemt said:
I just thought I'd mention there is a 2000 LT over in edmonds for $5500 that has 58K miles, and has had everything done on it, clutch, slave, seals, throttle cables, bunches of stuff, Think about what you are paying for the 99, and factor in the costs of the clutch replacement, seals, etc, plus the labor.....that guy in edmonds may take less.....Think about it...(its on c-list)
Good Luck!

I have seen that, looks like a decent deal as well...However, I am paying $3500 for an 02, so sticking $700 into parts for a clutch still makes it a decent buy. That and the fact that I don't have 5500, lol.

#18 ·
olddog1946 said:
I have seen that, looks like a decent deal as well...However, I am paying $3500 for an 02, so sticking $700 into parts for a clutch still makes it a decent buy. That and the fact that I don't have 5500, lol.
If you can buy the 5500 one for about the same $4200, maybe less, you may end up with less headache (and you could start riding right away).

#19 ·
deputy5211 said:
If you can buy the 5500 one for about the same $4200, maybe less, you may end up with less headache (and you could start riding right away).
MMM, this is always a possibility...I do believe the fellow I am buying this bike from is in need of the money, hence the low price and willingness to take a few payments. So asking for my money back may be a big burden on him.

AND I have worked on cars, trucks, motorcycles as a personal hobby since I was 14 (mostly my own junk) and never for profit. But the effort of working on them has always been sort of a therapy for me..(though admittedly I do hate it when I have to work on something to be able to use it), I do have my Valkyrie which is 6 cylinders of motorcycling fun to ride..

#20 ·
olddog1946 said:
I do believe the fellow I am buying this bike from is in need of the money, hence the low price and willingness to take a few payments. So asking for my money back may be a big burden on him.

AND I have worked on cars, trucks, motorcycles as a personal hobby since I was 14 (mostly my own junk) and never for profit. But the effort of working on them has always been sort of a therapy for me.
Hey again Rick - I really like your attitude about this whole situation. When I first responded in this post, I had a gut feeling that you were getting into a situation that you might regret, because I know that I would not like getting a bike that needed an expensive and/or laborous clutch job even before I was able to get much saddle time with it.

You obviously were not accepting the seller's theory about the clutch slippage being caused by a tip over and that shows that you are no babe in the woods when it comes to mechanical problems.

I see that you are committed to honoring your word to the seller and completing the purchase. I like what that says about your character. I see also that you are committed to rehabilitating the bike, and that you are confident in your ability to make that happen.

I expect that everyone on this forum will agree that an LT is worthy of rehabilitation if it can be done with a total investment that is close to the actual value of the bike and in this case it appears that you are going to be able to do that.

From 2100 miles away I cannot offer any hands on assistance, but if encouragement is of any value, then - BE ENCOURAGED -

#21 ·
tips727 said:
You obviously were not accepting the seller's theory about the clutch slippage being caused by a tip over and that shows that you are no babe in the woods when it comes to mechanical problems.

I see that you are committed to honoring your word to the seller and completing the purchase. I like what that says about your character. I see also that you are committed to rehabilitating the bike, and that you are confident in your ability to make that happen.
QUOTE]
On the other hand, if you went into this deal with the impression from the owner that everything was right, and now during the course of the deal, the condition of the bike has "deteriorated", then to me the deal has changed, you are now being asked to pay the same price for a "damaged" bike as you were being asked to pay for one in good rideable condition....I understand you feeling like the deal is still pretty good, and wanting to do the right thing by the desperate seller, but I bought my 2000 LT for 4100 bucks, needing nothing but getting some miles put on it, so deals are out there if you look and wait. I guess what I am getting at is if you still have one payment left, you might consider re-negotiating the amount of the final payment, unless the guy can prove to you there is no clutch damage....not likely...I think a change in the price given the change in the condition is not unjustified.

#22 ·
casualemt said:
On the other hand, if you went into this deal with the impression from the owner that everything was right, and now during the course of the deal, the condition of the bike has "deteriorated", then to me the deal has changed, you are now being asked to pay the same price for a "damaged" bike as you were being asked to pay for one in good rideable condition....I guess what I am getting at is if you still have one payment left, you might consider re-negotiating the amount of the final payment, unless the guy can prove to you there is no clutch damage....not likely...I think a change in the price given the change in the condition is not unjustified.
Rich - I agree with everything you've said. And I would certainly try to renegotiate the price if was in Rick's position, if not back out of it all together. That's just me - it's a business transaction. Even though I would not handle this situation the same way he seems to be, I was merely trying to communicate the good that I see in what he is doing and/or thinking. I wasn't looking for it but there it was.

#23 ·
Hey JC, Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with what you were conveying, but it made me think about the position Olddog1946 has been put in by the seller, with the oh guess what the clutch is bad thing...when I bought my bike the guy was selling at $3600, I paid an extra $500 just to get to the top of the list and have him hold it till I could drive the 100 miles to buy it....It has performed flawlessly since...

#24 ·
It's all good Rich. Honestly, I was second guessing myself on the first response that I entered on this post. I was thinking the same things that you said but for some reason I just couldn't challenge Rick for making choices different from what I would make. And my second response was just affirming that he is surely a nice guy, wanting to do the right thing and he seems to have mechanical skills that will allow him to pull it all off, perhaps with a little help from those on this site who have more experience than I do.

Tips

#25 ·
tips727 said:
It's all good Rich. Honestly, I was second guessing myself on the first response that I entered on this post. I was thinking the same things that you said but for some reason I just couldn't challenge Rick for making choices different from what I would make. And my second response was just affirming that he is surely a nice guy, wanting to do the right thing and he seems to have mechanical skills that will allow him to pull it all off, perhaps with a little help from those on this site who have more experience than I do.

Tips

I have emailed with the owner about the bike and have said I'd like to take it out for a ride and if the clutch doesn't slip on that ride, we are good to go. If it does slip, I'd want him to split the cost of parts with me..(figuring 700 with a slave cylinder). I think that would be fair for both of us..I currently owe 400 on it..so he has the biggest percentage of the money..will find out this weekend how it all goes down.

#26 ·
olddog1946 said:
I have emailed with the owner about the bike and have said I'd like to take it out for a ride and if the clutch doesn't slip on that ride, we are good to go. If it does slip, I'd want him to split the cost of parts with me..(figuring 700 with a slave cylinder). I think that would be fair for both of us..I currently owe 400 on it..so he has the biggest percentage of the money..will find out this weekend how it all goes down.
That sounds like a good plan Rick. Surely the seller will think your proposal is more than fair when he counts the cost of having to make the repairs himself if you don't buy it. We've all read the reports from the experts on this site that say that the job can cost between $2000 and $2500 at a BMW shop. I know I wouldn't want to put that kind of money into a bike or anything else, just to get it ready to sell.

Let us know how it works out.

Tips

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.