BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I guess my bike hates to be left out, so add it to the final drive failure club. I knew there was a pretty good chance that, if I rode the bike a lot, this would happen. That's why I have towing insurance and an emergency fund. I'm just glad I made it home from my trip to Tahoe before it completely gave up.

On my trip, which was about 600 miles, I noticed a sound similar to having a flat spot on a tire or a loose wheel. Everything seemed to be okay and I finished the trip. A few days later, my wife noticed fluid leaking from the final drive. I pulled the drain plug and was greeted by a bunch of shiny metal flakes and a metallic dark grey oil. I put new fluid in and took it for a quick spin and the grinding noise was really bad.

So now I need to get it rebuilt. I know some of the guys on here rebuild them and have great reputations for doing an incredible job. So, who should I get to rebuild it, how do I contact them and what's a ballpark price?

I love the bike to much to let a mechanical problem get me down. BTW, it's an '02 with 69,000 miles and this is the first serious problem it's encountered.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks. I've read some of his posts.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Dave Selvig (saddleman) does a great job as well.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Sorry to read of your troubles. PM sent to you.

Don't ride it any more. You can make things worse, more expensive, or expensive beyond reasonable repair.

Folks on this board who are experienced and capable of doing a final drive repair include JohnZ, Saddleman, DanMartin. These fine gents are known to be very helpful, if any of them offer to help they'd be good options.

Professional shops I believe have the reputation to do a good job:

http://rubberchickenracinggarage.com/
http://www.largiader.com/

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
Look in the calssifieds for FD rebuilding service from Curtis (charlievt). He'll do it correctly.
I used to have an ad in the classified section of this board for a flat rate preemptive rebuild. That offer is no longer there. Rebuilding a drive that has not failed is much more predictable in terms of parts needed than is a failed drive. A drive that has been ridden beyond first signs of failure can have more extensive damage. And I found that even preemptive rebuilds would sometimes have unknown problems that would make me regret quoting a cost in advance.

I'm not soliciting drives to rebuild and am happy to have folks find someone else to do them. However, I don't seem to say "no" when someone asks me to look at one.

As far as doing them "correctly"... time will tell. I only do the best I know how.

Old Proverb: When the sandstorm is over, and the dust is settled, I'll see if I am riding a horse or a jackass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts