BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 k1200lt and the reverse works for a second or two and stops, R light flashes, continue to push and another second. I've replaced the pulse generator for the speedometer and it didn't help. I read that it might be a problem.
Do I buy a reversing module or..

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,247 Posts
You said the pulse generator for the speedometer, did you mean the speed sensor for the reverser? It is installed on the side of the transmission. It is item 4 in this picture.

If that is what you replaced then yes the next step would be the reverser controller. there are several on e-bay right now. I snagged one last year for $35 as they had it listed as an audio amp.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the pulse generator on the final drive that provides the data for speedometer and cruise control.
I read that it was part of the reverse as well. I see now that I need to check out the other sensor.Thank you so much.

·
Registered
343 Posts
So what is the correct operation of reverse, constant momentum rearward with the start button depressed, or momentum for about 5 seconds at a time for safety, with the start button depressed. I have owned three LT’s but do not recall a constant steady reverse.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So what is the correct operation of reverse, constant momentum rearward with the start button depressed, or momentum for about 5 seconds at a time for safety, with the start button depressed. I have owned three LT’s but do not recall a constant steady reverse.
properly operating reverse should back the bike up as long as you hold the button down.
mine did the "back up and stop, back up again" thing when i first got it. then it would
work or not work here and there, finally it stopped working at all.
i unhooked the battery, cleaned and tightened all the tie points behind the battery and found
one of them to be slightly loose. it did not seem to be dirty but i cleaned and tightened it anyway.
my reverse has worked correctly for the last 3 and a half years since.

·
Registered
343 Posts
properly operating reverse should back the bike up as long as you hold the button down.
mine did the "back up and stop, back up again" thing when i first got it. then it would
work or not work here and there, finally it stopped working at all.
i unhooked the battery, cleaned and tightened all the tie points behind the battery and found
one of them to be slightly loose. it did not seem to be dirty but i cleaned and tightened it anyway.
my reverse has worked correctly for the last 3 and a half years since.

Don’t want to steel this thread, but Thanks for letting me know!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I replaced the wrong pulse generator and wire. I'm having the reverse for a second and stop problem but I see that the part I replaced was not for the reverse. Can someone please tell me what the correct part number is and possibly a short instruction on location and replacement.
Thanks so much for all your help everyone.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,247 Posts
PN 23 00 7 660 180 SPEED SENSOR $171 you may be able to find one on e-bay used. Just remove the foot peg plate with the brake pedal and it is just to the rear of the filler plug for the transmission. These show you where and how it is attached.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts