BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my '01 on the road today and I rode about 10 miles and everything appeared normal. I ventured onto a road that was closed due to an accident and after idling for a few minutes I shut the LT down. Upon restart I got an ABS wig-wag (normal at startup) and after I started rolling it continued.

My fluids are good and I am thinking that my PC-680 (new 6/2007) is my problem because the restart didn't go well and in fact the LT almost didn't start. Had me concerned for a minute but it finally started and it always cranks well. The LT started from it's winter hibernation pretty much uneventful but there isn't much tolerance here by the ABC control circuits and it was on the Battery Tender for the last 5 months so it might have been OK for one start.

I checked the static voltage when I got home and it is 13.23v. I'm thinking it should be a little higher but the LT does start without hesitation. Of course I still have the wig-wag.

My question is if I disconnect the battery will the control circuit reset the fault or is the battery current test run every time it starts.. and disconnect is pointless?

My Maintenance Guide says all faults are reset/cleared on battery disconnect but I'm looking for ABS fault without disconnecting. Or does anyone have a way to read the codes without a trip to the local BMW dealer. I'll probably put the Battery tender on for the night and retry but I'm looking for anyone with experience with this.

·
Registered
255 Posts
do you kow if anyone in your area has a gs-911? You can clear the fault with this tool providing there is nothing wrong with the abs unit. I do know that a low battery will cause wagging lights.

·
Registered
594 Posts
jackd said:
I finally got my '01 on the road today and I rode about 10 miles and everything appeared normal. I ventured onto a road that was closed due to an accident and after idling for a few minutes I shut the LT down. Upon restart I got an ABS wig-wag (normal at startup) and after I started rolling it continued.

My fluids are good and I am thinking that my PC-680 (new 6/2007) is my problem because the restart didn't go well and in fact the LT almost didn't start. Had me concerned for a minute but it finally started and it always cranks well. The LT started from it's winter hibernation pretty much uneventful but there isn't much tolerance here by the ABC control circuits and it was on the Battery Tender for the last 5 months so it might have been OK for one start.

I checked the static voltage when I got home and it is 13.23v. I'm thinking it should be a little higher but the LT does start without hesitation. Of course I still have the wig-wag.

My question is if I disconnect the battery will the control circuit reset the fault or is the battery current test run every time it starts.. and disconnect is pointless?

My Maintenance Guide says all faults are reset/cleared on battery disconnect but I'm looking for ABS fault without disconnecting. Or does anyone have a way to read the codes without a trip to the local BMW dealer. I'll probably put the Battery tender on for the night and retry but I'm looking for anyone with experience with this.
The only ABS2-related error which is cleared automatically when the error condition is over is low voltage -situation. So new battery or voltage restored by tender should clear that "wig wag"-situation. All other ABS-failures must be reset.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,139 Posts
Just double checking as they introduced the I ABS during the 2001 model year. Do your front calipers say "BMW" or "Brembo". You called your system ABS II which would have the Brembo caliper label. It changes the answer to your question if you actually have the I ABS.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jzeiler said:
Do your front calipers say "BMW" or "Brembo". You called your system ABS II which would have the Brembo caliper label.
Yes, My calipers say 'Brembo'. I have the factory manual so I was pretty sure that I was right to ID mine as ABS II. Always been confusing to me but bottom line is my manufacture date is 10/00.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
C-A-D said:
The only ABS2-related error which is cleared automatically when the error condition is over is low voltage -situation. So new battery or voltage restored by tender should clear that "wig wag"-situation. All other ABS-failures must be reset.
That was the answer I was was basically looking for. Seems you know that with some authority? I do remember that some ABS (II and Integral) faults required dealer reset but I wasn't sure. The factory manual says otherwise but I wanted to be sure I could reset it without dealer involvement.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,139 Posts
Take a look at the bottom of the thread and read "It works!!! ABS II Fault Reset". It will give you all the info you need to test and reset the ABS II (and with out a GS911 or dealer help).

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John, That is exactly what I need. I looked at the tech files for ABS but did not do any searches. DUH... or look at the related info at the bottom.. DUH.. DUH..

Thanks. :thumb:

I will take a look at this tomorrow and verify I have a low voltage fault.. before I go any further.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to finish the thread I rest the error and everything seems good to go.

I also updated this thread with more details.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts