BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night rode my LT To gas station. Filled her up normally.
After starting engine stalled.
Then difficult to start and no idle. Low rpm hardly runs. Got home with shaky running on high rpm and low gear.
Anu ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
Last night rode my LT To gas station. Filled her up normally.
After starting engine stalled.
Then difficult to start and no idle. Low rpm hardly runs. Got home with shaky running on high rpm and low gear.
Anu ideas?
I am assuming it ran OK prior to the fill-up. If that was the case, then either a strange coincidence happened or something about the fill-up caused a problem. The only thing I can think of regarding the fill-up, would be it you got it overfilled and got gas into the vent line to the charcoal canister, assuming again that the canister is still in place. If that happens, it can plug the vent so that you pull a vacuum in the gas tank. And with a full tank and little air in the tank, the vacuum will build quickly.

I would remove the gas cap in a quiet place and see if you hear any air going in as the seal is broken. If so, trying running the engine with the cap off or at least loose and see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I would be checking the fuel lines inside the tank. Remove fuel cap, turn on the key (no start) and listen to confirm fuel pump stops after a couple of seconds. This will confirm whether or not a fuel line fail inside the tank.

The other item that is mention fairly frequently is when the vapor recovery system gets overloaded thus requiring the 'canisterectomy'

Others may chime in for this procedure and symptoms related or you could use search tool. I have not had to do this so am not exact on procedure.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Lot of rain lately? Possible water problem?

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
I was thinking bad gas, but not if this happened immediately after refueling unless you were running on fumes...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So of fuelpump shuts down normally after shore buzzing the Lines Are ok in the tank.?
As an Update not running n at all Now. Fuelpump Starts and stops normally. Can't smell gas.
Just not running.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Water stinks to the bottom. If a significant slug happened it would be quick and clog the paper fuel filter also.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Open the fuel tank and look in. Turn the key on and with a good flashlight, look in and cycle the kill switch ( or the key) forcing the pump to repeat going through the prime cycle and look for a disturbance in the tank. It might help to siphon some out if it is really full but any large disturbance would indicate ruptured rubber lines inside the tank.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Open the fuel tank and look in. Turn the key on and with a good flashlight, look in and cycle the kill switch ( or the key) forcing the pump to repeat going through the prime cycle and look for a disturbance in the tank. It might help to siphon some out if it is really full but any large disturbance would indicate ruptured rubber lines inside the tank.
I will try that. It might also coil. That will be expensive.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
The coils are very rare failures on these bikes. I cannot remember seeing any in the last 15 years.

Reactions: 14wntr and Voyager

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, fellow BMW rider lend his tester and judgement is clear: Hall effect sensor 1 : dead, Hall effect sensor 2: dead and O2sensor: dead.

Ordered used parts with warranty for 130EUR, getting them today. Let's see how this ends.:nerd:

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
Ok, fellow BMW rider lend his tester and judgement is clear: Hall effect sensor 1 : dead, Hall effect sensor 2: dead and O2sensor: dead.

Ordered used parts with warranty for 130EUR, getting them today. Let's see how this ends.:nerd:
By tester, you mean GS-911? It is highly unlikely that all three of those components died simultaneously. I am wondering if there is more going on here.

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
473 Posts
By tester, you mean GS-911? It is highly unlikely that all three of those components died simultaneously. I am wondering if there is more going on here.
Yeah I'm with you on that. It is highly unlikely that all three components have failed at the same time. I haven't looked at the wiring diagram but if they have a common ground I would check that.
Going on the clue about it happening just after running the tank low I personally would be pulling the pump assembly out and checking the filter.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I believe the hall effect sensors will show as bad any time the bike is not running on the GS911 or other tester. The error has to be cleared and tested when running or cranking. It has been some time since I had my GS911 hooked up but I may go out and hook it up to refresh my memory. The O2 sensor might be bad but that normally would not keep the bike from running. Not saying that they can't be bad but again, as the others have mentioned, it is unlikely all 3 would die at the gas station. Did you check the lines inside the fuel tank?

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Went out and hooked up my 911 just to make sure I wasn't having a brain fart. Yes, both hall sensors if not producing signals will show faulty if the engine is not turning. I did an autoscan first with the engine not running and then again with the engine running. I tried a clear faults inbetween and the hall sensors were still reading as faulty but with the engine not turning, that is normal. The error clears on the next auto scan with a running engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
Went out and hooked up my 911 just to make sure I wasn't having a brain fart. Yes, both hall sensors if not producing signals will show faulty if the engine is not turning. I did an autoscan first with the engine not running and then again with the engine running. I tried a clear faults inbetween and the hall sensors were still reading as faulty but with the engine not turning, that is normal. The error clears on the next auto scan with a running engine.
Yes it's one thing to own the fancy tools but quite another to actually know how to use them.:crazy:

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Yes it's one thing to own the fancy tools but quite another to actually know how to use them.:crazy:
If as in this case if using a GS911, being able to read is also beneficial as it clearly says the engine must be turning.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts