Building a trailer - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 6th, 2006, 10:20 pm Thread Starter

Building a trailer

I'm considering building a single rail dirt bike trailer to tow behind my LT. I have the design somewhat worked out, and found an axle design (Dexter) that I like. Problem is I cant find a dealer who carries the Dexter light-weight (600-1100 lb) axles. Has anyone here built their trailer from scratch and if so, where did you source the axle? (and coupler)? I want the 'torsion' type suspension, no springs, very simple to work with in my desgign.

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 6th, 2006, 10:34 pm

Russ

I have built several trailers and I usually just find a local trailer supply or sales store. You can also check Tractor Supply or Atwoods they carry some trailer supplies (axles, spindles, jacks, ect.)

Good Luck

2000 K1200 LTC
post #3 of 5 Old May 7th, 2006, 12:51 am

Trailer

Most Dexter torsion axles are built to your measurements, weight, and arm angle and usually takes about 3 weeks to get. I use them all the time for my business have about 100 of them so far. One suggestion when you get them repack the wheel bearings with a good waterproof high temp. grease and they will just about last forever. I have some that are 10 years old and bearings are still good. I check them once a year. If you can't find a source in your area try Oakland Rim and Wheel 510-895-6022 Ask for Les tell him Bruce told you to call.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old May 7th, 2006, 7:42 am

Try this place.

http://www.etrailerpart.com/halftorsionaxles.htm

These half models don't have an axle that runs under the trailer, so you can build your rail closer to the ground.

I've been ordering things from them for 15 years. If you find a lower price it's because their price checker is on vacation.

Pulling a trailer with an LT is ok (I do it but would never recommend it). Expect to wear out a clutch sooner (get it rolling a little, back off the throttle and get the clutch fully engaged as soon as possible). The great stopping ability of the LT is non existent with a trailer. Some trailer brakes might be nice. Surge type.

Good luck
post #5 of 5 Old May 7th, 2006, 9:10 am Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks for all the good advice. I checked out the Southwest Wheel, looks like a good place to get my stuff.

I don't look forward to pulling a trailer with the LT, and wont do it much, but I like the idea of being able to put my dirt bike on behind my favorite ride, keeping the cage parked.

If I go with the half torsion set-up, I'll have to rework my plans. But I do like the idea of keeping the rail lower, both for ease of loading and lower COG.

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in