Simple one wheel trailer. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old May 4th, 2006, 9:49 am Thread Starter

Simple one wheel trailer.

Has anyone ever though about building something like this for a motorcycle. This one is for a bicycle, but I like the simple design and the idea of just putting a waterproof bag on it and going. It could be very lightweight. I am thinking about buying a welder and giving it a try. If anyone has any advice, it would be appreciating!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100481000000000.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	3586  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old May 4th, 2006, 10:13 am

Looks interesting. I'm not sure I'd try to make it too light, wouldn't that make it prone to hopping around on bad pavement while at speed?
post #3 of 20 Old May 4th, 2006, 11:34 am

I've been thinking about this one. It's bigger than a Unigo and a good price.

http://www.n-line.com/trailers.htm

I have to decide between it or a Bunkhouse. I like the n-line (easier to tow), the wife likes the Bunkhouse (she’s tired of tent camping).

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old May 4th, 2006, 11:36 am

There was one posted recently with a motorcycle wheel, I think it is called a dragon trail trailer, or dragon tail trailer. There was aphoto of it it may have been on another site, though. Sorry my old timers disease is running right now and cant remember. I have been searching for a trailer for some time now. I really want a uni go, found one on a goldwing site but they want $2800 for it used and it retails for 2200 new but they are just becoming available.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 Old May 4th, 2006, 1:17 pm Thread Starter

I like the n-line, same concept and the bicycle one. My one concern on both would be the tongue weight, with the wheel so far back.
post #6 of 20 Old May 4th, 2006, 1:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
I have to decide between it or a Bunkhouse. I like the n-line (easier to tow), the wife likes the Bunkhouse (she’s tired of tent camping).[/size][/font]
What's wrong with a tent? At least our hair was dry every morning at STC.
post #7 of 20 Old May 4th, 2006, 4:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARNEYM
I like the n-line, same concept and the bicycle one. My one concern on both would be the tongue weight, with the wheel so far back.
As many of us here can attest, the Uni-Go tongue weight isn't a problem. As long as you remember that you're riding a motorcycle, not driving an RV & carrying an entire house, it's not a problem. I can take about a week of necessities for two of us on the bike. Add the Uni, & I can take a week of necessities plus camping equipment. Then I need to stop at a laundromat/friend's place. But, the bike/ride isn't compromised. One wheeled trailers are a biker's friend!

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #8 of 20 Old May 5th, 2006, 9:24 am

I love tent camping. We have 2 backpacking and 2 campground tents, but Denise would like get up off the ground and be a bit more comfortable. I would say it's age kicking in, but she might hear me.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #9 of 20 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 4:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod

http://www.n-line.com/trailers.htm

I have to decide between it or a Bunkhouse. I like the n-line (easier to tow), the wife likes the Bunkhouse (she’s tired of tent camping).
___
The N-Line trailer looks great but I wonder about the tongue load with the wheel out back. Thoughts?
post #10 of 20 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 7:47 pm

Going back to MCarneys Post, check out the Cyclops Sport 2005 at the bottom of the page. Pretty much the same design as he posted for a bicycle.

http://www.bigoscustomcycle.com/moto...ers/index.html

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #11 of 20 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 8:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdoorman
Going back to MCarneys Post, check out the Cyclops Sport 2005 at the bottom of the page. Pretty much the same design as he posted for a bicycle.

http://www.bigoscustomcycle.com/moto...ers/index.html
That's a PAV clone - and although I think it would look pretty funky with an LT is an AWESOME price! (even in Canadian dollars...)

It would look great on a "retro" styled bike.

NICE find!

Go here for Single Wheel design ideas and to see the original PAV: www.singlewheel.com

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #12 of 20 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 8:38 pm

Quote:
Has anyone ever though about building something like this for a motorcycle. This one is for a bicycle, but I like the simple design and the idea of just putting a waterproof bag on it and going. It could be very lightweight. I am thinking about buying a welder and giving it a try. If anyone has any advice, it would be appreciating!
I think as long as you could provide some sort of a "shield" (like an old cafe race design windscreen) to keep the majority of road grit/spray off of it - along with an inexpensive waterproof cover to keep the bag clean - you would have a winner. Simple is GOOD.

I'm real fond of North Face stuff for this application - pricey, but no one wants wet gear.

Go here for Single Wheel design ideas: www.singlewheel.com

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Oct 25th, 2006 at 9:03 pm.
post #13 of 20 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 7:57 am Thread Starter

I gave up on the one wheel idea and went with a new 2 wheel Aluma. Its all aluminum, wt 180lbs and pulls very good. You can check them out here.

http://www.alumaklm.com/sections/pro...uct_category=2
post #14 of 20 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 10:37 am

Quote:
I gave up on the one wheel idea and went with a new 2 wheel Aluma. Its all aluminum, wt 180lbs and pulls very good. You can check them out here.

http://www.alumaklm.com/sections/pro...uct_category=2
Nice trailer. I may just steal your original idea and whip one up...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #15 of 20 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 11:06 am Thread Starter

Go for it!
post #16 of 20 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 11:06 pm

Here is one I found, it's French made. It is probably cost prohibitive to ship it to the states but looks cool. I was wondering if anyone in Europe has any experience (good/bad) with one.

http://www.bagageres-genco.com/index.php

Rusty Snyder
post #17 of 20 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 8:32 am

I like it. Rear wheels stay flat and the trailer leans with the bike.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #18 of 20 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 9:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnyder
Here is one I found, it's French made. It is probably cost prohibitive to ship it to the states but looks cool...
I'd checked this one out before, but other than the price one big problem for me is the rather weak load. The 150 liter model has a max. load of 20kg (44 pounds), while the biggie 260 liter model can only hold 30kg (66 pounds).

For such a large trailer, this doesn't seem like much. This is even more apparent when compared with something like the Uni-Go which has a useful load of 50kg (110 pounds).

Cheers,
Lucky

ATGATT
Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

2004 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJC Seca
post #19 of 20 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 9:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
I like it. Rear wheels stay flat and the trailer leans with the bike.
I'll admit that it looks trick; but since the tires never lean, wouldn't it had made more sense to use typical trailer (i.e. flat surface) tires rather than scooter tires? Seems to me that trailer tires would give you better mileage, as where the scoot tires will get a really bad case of chicken strips after a few thousand miles...

Cheers,
Lucky

ATGATT
Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

2004 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJC Seca
post #20 of 20 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 11:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyll
I'll admit that it looks trick; but since the tires never lean, wouldn't it had made more sense to use typical trailer (i.e. flat surface) tires rather than scooter tires? Seems to me that trailer tires would give you better mileage, as where the scoot tires will get a really bad case of chicken strips after a few thousand miles...

Cheers,
Lucky
The rear wheels looked to be about the same size as the Uni-Go's. Do we know that the Metzler's that come on the Uni-Go are scooter tires, I don't. And you may be right about the chicken strips on those tires, but wouldn't you have the same problem with any two-wheeled trailer? I guess the motoscooter tired Uni-Go with it's follow and lean with the bike would be only one not to get chicken strips then.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in