Close call today - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 21st, 2013, 10:44 pm Thread Starter

Close call today

I live in Bend, Oregon and was heading over the Cascade Mountains (Santiam Pass) this afternoon hoping to get back into Willamette Valley before bad weather set in for the next week. Left sunny Bend with the temperature at 56 degrees. The pass, 40 miles away, was 34 degrees & snowing when I got there. Nothing sticking but cold & wet. 12 miles later while heading down the westside of the Cascades, near Santiam Junction, I hydroplaned, did three or four tank slappers before regaining control. I was doing about 45mph but never left the road but it was close. I slowed down to 35-40mph as I continued toward Eugene (Home of the Oregon Ducks). The temperature is now 38-40 degrees and it is raining hard. It was raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock. I go another 10 miles or so, constantly looking for standing water. In a curve, I hydroplane again but this time there is no saving it. Slid the Dragon sideways off the road on to the gravel shoulder. I get stopped with the back tires on the gravel and the front tire on the pavement. I think I saw Jesus on that one. Drove the bike now at 25-30mph all the way (about 45 miles) to Springfield just outside Eugene. I stop and call my brother to bring me a trailer for the remaining 80 miles to my destination. I'm cold, wet and not prepared for the weather I encountered. This is Oregon in the spring and I know better. I also inspect my rear tires when I get to my destination. After 57,000 miles of triking, they need to be replaced. I should have checked those before now. Luckily, I had just replaced my front tire the day before. Three things combined to nearly end my riding forever. 1st - Poor weather I wasn't prepared for; 2nd - Rear tires in poor condition; and 3rd - an ego that told me to continue even though I know better. Now, everone, in unison, can you say "Dumb-ass".

Randi Kobernik
2005 K1200LT with a 2007 Hannigan Trike Kit "The Dragon"

It is not wise to meddle in the affairs of Dragons for thou art crunchy and good with katsup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 21st, 2013, 11:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Close call today

Glad you are ok and knew when to call it quits and not push on in that ugly weather. Live to ride another day my friend.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #3 of 11 Old May 22nd, 2013, 9:40 am
Lifetime Supporter

,OK, you get your group Stupe! At least you learned your lesson. Whether 2 3 or 4 tires, always good to inspect tread before any trip. Forum Member, Dan Martin, taught me that at a tech session years ago. Just mentioned to me that the front tire was in need and should be changed before the next rain storm. I always checked my inflation pressure, but wasn't paying attention to tread wear (still had tread, just past minimum safety levels). Glad you and the bike both weathered the storm. (Yeah I know it was sick, just had to do it.)

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold

post #4 of 11 Old May 22nd, 2013, 6:36 pm

Garage

Good you are OK.
Good you learned your lesson without hurt or damage to that trike. I am assuming that's the one that Ernie was so creative with. Hope the weather is better by mid June. Or do you ever have summer
ride safe
post #5 of 11 Old May 22nd, 2013, 9:21 pm Thread Starter

Yep, it is the same trike Ernie and I worked so hard on. No harm done but I got new rear tires today. Just got in to big of a hurry to out run a storm blowing in. I lost but didn't get hurt or damage the bike. Did have that "Coming to Jesus" moment during the slide. I am very glad to be here. Rest assured, I dug out an old pre-ride checklist and will use it religously.

Randi Kobernik

It is not wise to meddle in the affairs of Dragons for thou art crunchy and good with katsup.
post #6 of 11 Old May 23rd, 2013, 7:18 pm

Garage

Good news.
All's well that ends well. Teachable moment.
Is the 3rd week of June promising in the Pacific Northwest. I have a trip running through those parts and was opting for my three season jacket as opposed to mesh. Would hate to run into any mess like that unprepared. Again great that you were unscathed .
ride safe
post #7 of 11 Old May 23rd, 2013, 8:27 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Some times we just need a wake up call to put things back into perspective. Glad you made it through all that.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 11 Old May 24th, 2013, 3:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
...Whether 2 3 or 4 tires, always good to inspect tread before any trip. Forum Member, Dan Martin, taught me that at a tech session years ago. Just mentioned to me that the front tire was in need and should be changed before the next rain storm. I always checked my inflation pressure, but wasn't paying attention to tread wear (still had tread, just past minimum safety levels). Glad you and the bike both weathered the storm. (Yeah I know it was sick, just had to do it.)
I learned the same lesson from 'bama Don this past STC, and it was right as we were trying to leave. I knew the air pressures were okay, but I didn't think to check the tire tread. I guess I, too, was in a hurry. That would have been a big inconvenience at the least had he not noticed the back tire's cords showing.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #9 of 11 Old May 24th, 2013, 7:26 am

Glad to hear you are ok.. and knew when to surrender your ego to the forces of Mother Nature...

05 LT (ocean blue) "Jenny"
post #10 of 11 Old May 24th, 2013, 2:58 pm Thread Starter

Bill, the 3rd week of June in Oregon is usually mild with little rain but again it's Oregon and it can rain anytime. Your mesh jacket will be fine but have some Frog Toggs as backup. Ride safe.

Randi Kobernik

post #11 of 11 Old May 24th, 2013, 9:40 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDragon
Bill, the 3rd week of June in Oregon is usually mild with little rain but again it's Oregon and it can rain anytime. Your mesh jacket will be fine but have some Frog Toggs as backup. Ride safe.
Thanks again for weather update
And gear tip. My second leg of planned trip is to ride the coast north from CA visit in WA and then head east back home hitting ID, MT, WY, SD, IA. I hear those mountain passes are unpredictable temp wise and iffy about precip. But we shall see . . . a bit of adventure.
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in