New Bushtec Trailer model - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Feb 18th, 2013, 1:00 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
New Bushtec Trailer model

For the last several months I've been looking for a trailer. Much of my personal debate was between the Bushtec Turbo+2 and the Uni-go. The main issues being overall cost, packing space and handling. Because of the large size (home storage issues) and the "budget busting" cost of the Bushtec, I had pretty much made up my mind that I would purchase a Uni-go.

I recently saw the new Bushtec Sportstar trailer. The trailer is marketed as a smaller, "no frills" version, with all of the standard Bushtec technology. Although not the most "BMW compatable" in styling, it's comparably priced with the Uni-go, yet offers 15 cubic feet of storage space, versus the Uni-go's 5 cubic feet of storage. It also offers the trailer cooler option, which is a plus for me.

Downside...besides the looks...which I think I could grow accustomed to, it only comes in black or white. Not a deal breaker, l could get it painted on my own.

Question: does anyone have any background, info or thoughts on these....

Bob

2005 Blue K1200LT
2010 R1200GS
BMW/MOA 94539

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Feb 18th, 2013, 2:39 pm

Re: New Bushtec Trailer model

I hadn't heard of the Sportstar trailer so I Googled it,
looks similar to another model they used to make aimed at the HD market,
once you put a cooler on the front you might have a pretty neat trailer.
Just keep in mind, buying a trailer is like building a shed/garage,
it doesn't take long before it's full and just a little too small.

I suggest you spend a little time over at the motorcycle trailer towing forum,
a lot of good information there,

here's another interesting link

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #3 of 3 Old Feb 20th, 2013, 10:39 pm

Re: New Bushtec Trailer model

Have you thought about buying used?
SilverBuffalo is correct w/ his analogy of the packed garage.
I purchased a used ZZ trailer, and on our first trip I had that thing plumb full with all sorts of stuff I picked up along the way. While I've been trying for years to travel lighter, whether on a bike or taking a plane ride, the end result just would not fare well with something so small as the uni-go, especially considering the price of these new. I have suitcases larger than these. So, maybe this could be the deciding factor for you- What kind of traveller are you typically? Do you tend to take everything, including the kitchen sink, or is it more like needing a wee-bit more room in order to buy that unusual/rare find during your journeys?

Back to my suggestion of buying used. Obviously, logistics issues come into play as far as how to take delivery of it, as well as whether the additional related costs would still make it practical. In my case, it was still a good deal, even after the seller did a very professional job of crating it and Fed Exing it to my designated receiving point. Naturally, a little patience will be needed for the wait for a suitable one to come available, but it sounds like you already have that being you've been researching a few months now. I actually had a few choices pop up rather quickly, but the ZZ's styling and it's very helpful and friendly seller proved to be the one for me.

If you don't already know about it, check out www.searchtempest.com It's a search engine that allows one to look for anything sold thru CraigsList within a chosen radius, including nationwide searches. It also includes Amazon and Ebay results if desired.

Don't have an answer for your storage limitations of the trailer itself. Maybe it'd fit in the attic when not used?

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Last edited by bikerj; Feb 20th, 2013 at 10:45 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in