Now need to replace front tire on LT trike--????? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Jan 27th, 2013, 2:54 pm Thread Starter

Question Now need to replace front tire on LT trike--?????

Rode my 05 LT with a new Hannigan trike kit to an RTE today. The helpful guys pointed out that the dunlap front tire was cupping and that there was not much tread left--so now the search begins. What tire works best for you trike riders. My msc instructor has a gold wing trike and has a motorcycle tire mounted backwards on the front. He said that was recommended for trikes??????????

I have been using pr3 on the RT and did not experience cupping but since the ft wheel stays upright at all times on the trike, it seems that another design would be better suited ,.
The trike is about 350 pounds heavier that an LT, but most of that weight is carried by the two auto tires on the rear. I would think a normal high quality LT tire would work OK, but what are the experiences of this group of trike riders.

After the cupping was pointed out to me, the ride home was rougher!!!!!!!!!!!

Any ideas?

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Jan 27th, 2013, 3:14 pm
Gold Supporter

Re: Now need to replace front tire on LT trike--?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSuz
Rode my 05 LT with a new Hannigan trike kit to an RTE today. The helpful guys pointed out that the dunlap front tire was cupping and that there was not much tread left--so now the search begins.
After the cupping was pointed out to me, the ride home was rougher!!!!!!!!!!!

Any ideas?
Sorry Eric

USN Retired
IBA #37743
2005 K1200LT O'l Blue (Mine)
2002 R1150RT (Hers)
Cage-2006 SLK 280
Previous Rides: 2006 VTX 1300R, 1986 CB650 Nighthawk, 1982 CM450, Countless Dirt Bikes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 25 Old Jan 27th, 2013, 4:36 pm

I have an LT with a Hannigan sidecar. I have heard that using a rear tire of the correct size to mount on the front with rotation opposite indicated by the arrow works great. I have no data or experience to substantiate this but plan to give it a try. Anybody know more??

post #4 of 25 Old Jan 27th, 2013, 9:26 pm

Just today I ordered a Michelin PilotActiv rear tire for the front on my 02 LTHannigan. I will mount it for reverse rotation. This is what I got out of all the posts on front tires on this site as well as another trike forum. My front tire is also cupping.

Don S
post #5 of 25 Old Jan 27th, 2013, 9:58 pm Thread Starter

Don,

Did you order the Pilot Activ 130/70/17 bias ply? There is also a letter designator H plus others. I'm not sure what that means

Eric

[
]
post #6 of 25 Old Jan 28th, 2013, 5:56 am

Eric
I only saw the one with the "H" designation so I ordered it. I am hoping that it will be OK.

Don S
post #7 of 25 Old Jan 28th, 2013, 8:38 am

Eric...this forum might be useful for you:
http://www.triketalk.com/index.php

I'm guessing you're already trying to give the Hannigan folks a call by now...let us know what they say.
post #8 of 25 Old Jan 28th, 2013, 8:57 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, Jim. I have been on that site, but had not registered. Now I have.
I did call Hannigan, but did not get much help. The first guy I talked to said to use Mitzler M880 rear tire. He was a salesman. When I called back when I could not find the proper size m880 rear tire, he refered me to a tech. The tech told me to search on line trike forums to see what actual riders are using!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will talk to the dealer tomorrow. I think he will be able to get better information than I got when I called Hannigan direct. Totally unexpected result. Guess I should have started with the dealer, but he is closed on Mondays and I couldn't wait. Why? I don't know...

[
]
post #9 of 25 Old Jan 29th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Eric

I run the standard Metz frontTire, 42-43 lbs air with no problems, always on the slab at the limit and maybe a little +.
2 up and only touring. Plan on about 6k mile each summer.

Oh, there is one other thing I change that tire every year, kind of peace of mind, it's not expensive considering the options.

Dennis
post #10 of 25 Old Jan 29th, 2013, 5:48 pm

I'd look around and see if I could find a car tire in that size...Or something that would work.

After all. You're running it like a car now..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #11 of 25 Old Jan 30th, 2013, 5:25 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: Now need to replace front tire on LT trike--?????

My search is ended. Ordered a Michlin pilot active 130/70 H17 rear tire today. Now the remaining issues are should it be mounted backwards and finding someone who will mount the tire. Thanks Don. You made the search much easier.

[
]
post #12 of 25 Old Jan 30th, 2013, 6:19 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The flip flop reason on the tire rotation makes sense when you consider the loads on a rear tire are always acceleration and the loads on a front tire are always deceleration. Since the roles are now reversed thus the arrow must point.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #13 of 25 Old Jan 30th, 2013, 7:42 pm

Call Hannigans and talk to Dave Hannigan. I have talked to him over the phone and at rallies. He always was pleasant and gave good info.
post #14 of 25 Old Feb 6th, 2013, 9:22 am

I have read with interest the concept of using a rear tire mounted on the front, but in reverse. I also remember comments by someone that the rear tire was a 130 mm compared to the normal 120 mm width. Also that the wider width may not fit on 2005 and up K1200LT's. If anyone has done the swap on a 2005 LT please comment.

Thanks,
Richard
2005 K1200LT Trike.
post #15 of 25 Old Feb 9th, 2013, 6:22 pm

I have a 2000 LT Trike. I have a 130 PilotActiv on the front, mounted backwards. Very happy so far. I'll let you know how many miles I get. BMW dealer in LV mounted it during a service.

Jerry

BMWMOA # 134919
2000 LT Hannigan Trike
1986 Suzuki TM400 (gone)
1957 BSA 500 cc Twin (long gone)
1955 BSA Golden Flash (longer gone)
1950 or thereabouts HD 165 cc 2 stroke! (gone in 1954)
post #16 of 25 Old Feb 9th, 2013, 7:21 pm

Likewise, I have a 130 PilotActive mounted in reverse. The dealer did the mount and balance. I just picked it up today and have 30 miles on it. It is very neutral as a new tire should be. Need to get some miles on it before any meaningful comments can be made.

Don S
post #17 of 25 Old Feb 10th, 2013, 8:05 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: Now need to replace front tire on LT trike--?????

Steve installed my 130 70 17 today. Steve pointed out that the tire I had on the front was made in 2004 and had 22000 miles on it. It was hard rubber. Glad I changed it. Rode about 50 miles home, seems better, but, like Don, need more time and miles to be sure.
There was no clearance problem, but could not use a 140. Looked to me less than 1/4 inch clearance.

Rode both the RT and the Trike this morning. I have decided that I like both. Time will tell if I sell one.

[
]
post #18 of 25 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 8:19 pm

Small update on the front tire. My wife and I went out for lunch yesterday and did ~150 miles on the trike. The trike just handles better since I changed the tire. I am not sure whether mounting the tire backwards, or the increased air pressure or maybe just being a new tire has given us the most benefit but the difference is significant.

Don Smith
post #19 of 25 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 8:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

So why do you mount it backwards/reverse?

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #20 of 25 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 8:33 pm

I mounted a rear tire backwards or in reverse because of the inputs for the last five years on trike forums that it will produce better wear and better handling. John Z offers in post #12 above that:
"The flip flop reason on the tire rotation makes sense when you consider the loads on a rear tire are always acceleration and the loads on a front tire are always deceleration. Since the roles are now reversed thus the arrow must point."
Really, I guess I am just following suit.

Don Smith
post #21 of 25 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 8:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmith59
I mounted a rear tire backwards or in reverse because of the inputs for the last five years on trike forums that it will produce better wear and better handling. John Z offers in post #12 above that:
"The flip flop reason on the tire rotation makes sense when you consider the loads on a rear tire are always acceleration and the loads on a front tire are always deceleration. Since the roles are now reversed thus the arrow must point."
Really, I guess I am just following suit.

Don Smith
Sorry Don I missed John Z's post...just don't understand how the front's roll on a trike is different than a non trike..or did I miss something else?

But if you get better wear and handeling go with it.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #22 of 25 Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 6:25 am

Not a problem John. I looked back through this forum as well as a trike forum and the first I saw where they'd tried this approach was in 2007, I think. I didn't want to "reinvent the wheel" and so I just followed suit.

Don Smith
post #23 of 25 Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 11:40 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I got to thinking about my original statement so I did a bit of research and I was sort of correct. The tread pattern can be designed to remove water best in a particular rotation direction but the structural part is what I to found back me up.

From the Continental site:
Where a tyre has directional arrows moulded upon it, the tyre must be fitted so that the relevant front or rear arrow follows the direction of rotation. Road handling and tyre wear may worsen, or damage to the tyre can occur in extreme circumstances if these instructions are not followed
Found here: Link

Published by Cyril Huze August 23rd, 2009in Builders, Editorial and Wheels.

The arrow tells you which way to mount a tire for maximum water dispersal. Another, less apparent reason for directional arrows is the tread splice.

What is a tread splice? When a tire is manufactured the tread portion of the tire starts out as a long flat strip. This strip is wrapped around the tire and the two ends are cut on an angle so one end overlaps the other rather than having square cut ends.

To further ensure the strength of this bond along the tread splice the directional arrow will show you which way to mount the tire so that when the rider is “on the gas”; the acceleration force on the rear tire is pressing the splice together, rather than peeling it back.

As for braking, 80 % of the braking should take place in the front on most bikes. Therefore, the front tread splice is run in the opposite direction than that of the rear, so when the rider is on the brakes, he’s not peeling the tread splice back.

And that is why you flip a "designated Rear" tire backwards when it is on the front.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #24 of 25 Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 12:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I am slow, had to read John Z's post twice to get it into my head. I also didn't know about the thread splice part.
I thought directional mounting had to do with the bias of the way the tire carcass was built.

Just another reason to enjoy reading this forum.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #25 of 25 Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 2:06 pm

Okay, the explanation makes sense for the need to mount a rear tire backwards when used on the front.
With this realization, I assume front tires are manufactured in such a way where the splice is backwards from the get-go because of the fact mentioned that most of the applied forces are from braking. Is this correct?

So, if this is correct, then how do the tire manufacturers deal with unidirectional automotive tires? The same forces are affecting the tires in the same positions of the vehicle in the same manner, but I don't recall different tires for front vs. rear, at least on applications where the tire is same size on all four corners.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in