LT Trike - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 21st, 2013, 9:33 am Thread Starter

LT Trike

Anyone trike out their LT. What company conversion did you use and what did it cost?

06 K1200 LT
03 Yamaha Roadstar Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 21st, 2013, 10:32 am

Re: LT Trike

Here is a nice one. Also for LT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPH-YvHotNk

They even seem to have military & seniour citizen discounts available

Born to be wild so why not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 21st, 2013, 11:06 am

Hannigan makes the best trike conversion for the LT. You can go to their web site for prices and to see what the finished product looks like. I had my 2000 LT converted a couple of years ago, and just love it.

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 21st, 2013, 12:00 pm

I own a 2009 LT trike that was converted by Hannigan right out of the crate. I bought it used and currently have close to 30K miles and no problems with the trike end.

Local BMW dealer performed the 24K mile maintenance on the LT portion of the bike and used the Hannigan maintenance info to service the trike end of the bike. The service manager said the trike maintenance (check rear brake cylinder, fluids, pads, differential fluid, axle lube, etc.) was same as working on a Ford rear end.

Like previous poster noted, Hannigan has a price list on their web site. I 'm really happy with the auxiliary fuel tank extra road mileage. Another consideration for me is the rear axle.

My previous trike (Suzuki) had a Lehman conversion with a solid rear axle. The Hannigan for BMW has independent rear suspension (IRS) which I really prefer to the solid axle. Most notably, last year I was into some NC mountain twisties in a solid rainstorm and several times I felt the the rear end start to slide, but the BMW ABS plus the rear end IRS kept the bike true on course with no unfortunate incident.

I haven't run across many LT trikes in the Southeast, but the ones I have seen are all Hannigans like mine. Maybe if you search the Trike Talk forums you will find another LT conversion manufacturer, but I don't remember seeing one.
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 21st, 2013, 12:32 pm

Here's something else to consider - there is a big difference between a trike conversion and installing a trike kit.

The conversions (Hannigan, Champion, Roadmaster, factory built Harley Triglide, California Side Car [CSC] and a couple of others) totally remove the rear end of the factory bike and attach a custom built car-style rear end to the frame and drive shaft. (okay, yes I know some use chain or belt drive also, but far less common).

OTH. the trike kits (Voyager, Tow-Pak, Trigg and others) keep the factory bike rear end and add a custom set of wheels and fenders to give your bike a trike look and feel. Now you have a four wheeler! Three wheels in the rear. The original back tire is the drive wheel and the other two are .... uh, I dunno, maybe like the training wheels on a bicycle?

Apologies to any Voyager owners out there. Just giving my personal observation here on the motor trike issue. Strange as it may seem to some of you, there are a thousand ways to trike a two wheeler. It's a whole different world which I really enjoy in my senior years.

Ride safe and often.
post #6 of 7 Old Jan 21st, 2013, 6:49 pm

We had our 2007 LT conversion done last Spring by Hannigan in Murray, KY. We are very pleased with the trike. Given the market on LT's, the cost of the conversion is really pretty reasonable versus selling and buying a new bike.

Ray

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 3:13 pm

+2
06 LT , 08 trike converation with Bustec....+ 3 on Aux. fuel tank.
Don't use it much but like to know it's there..

Dennis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in