Trailer freight advise / opinion needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

Question Trailer freight advise / opinion needed

Hi all,

I'm seriously considering a motorcycle trailer purchase and one of my options is ZZ 2000.
Now, I wonder if any of the respected board members could give their opinion regarding the shipping price of such a thing (450 lbs 38" Tall, 57" Wide and 67" Long).
I have been quoted a freight from Salt Lake City to Houston 410 USD by one company. Another company offers me the sea freight from Houston to Finland and that price is 150 USD.
OK, I understand that sea freight in a container is one price and land freight in a truck bed is another.

If anyone would have experience in US land freights I would appreciate opinions.

Best regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 12:39 am
Senior Member (ret.)

I shipped a Uni-go from California to Detroit, Michigan and it cost a bit over $300 using ForwardAir shipping company. They use containers (small) . It's based on weight and container size.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 12:52 am

Ari - with all your recent fabricating practice why don't you build one. There have been a few done by board members (Raffy, myself & .......) that have turned out well.

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 2:07 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorawro
Ari - with all your recent fabricating practice why don't you build one. There have been a few done by board members (Raffy, myself & .......) that have turned out well.
Heh heh, thanks for the compliment, Roy. Honestly speaking, I know my limits (both time and skills) and building a trailer is way beyond both.

It would really look like a bakers trailer...

Best regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #5 of 9 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 7:11 am

shipping

Ari.. this price seems acceptable. It is going to cost me $350 for a U-haul trailer in a few weeks to go from L.A., CA to Austin, TX.. and I have to pull it..

On the other hand... why not ride up there and get the trailer? The weather's getting nicer... =)

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 9 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 9:20 am

Diy

Ari, Building a trailer is really not that big of a deal..

Just buy a little pre-fab trailer and a cargo box and bolt them together.

Guy's here have built them for way less than a grand... There's also a company here in the us who's most expensive trailer is only about 900 bucks...

I'm sure you could build one yourself that you'd be happy with..

Check these out for ideas....

http://www.alsmotorcycleaccessories....l_trailer.html

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #7 of 9 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 12:37 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Thank you all for the freight comments and especially for the DIY encouragement.

Seriously speaking, the trailer DIY is not "on my street", so to speak, but I'm desperately trying to find ideas for a DIY lower luggage rack. You know, the type that hooks to the trailer hitch receiver.

I would like that rack to be a bit different from the "shopping basket" design I have seen behind some Wings. Neither do I fancy a simple L-steel rectangular tray with bungee cords...
It's gotta have marker lights, led brake light, licence plate holder etc...
Ideas or suggestions, pleeease...

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #8 of 9 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 10:58 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Don't forget the back-up lights.

Actually, don't forget to add some good vertical support. Most of the rear racks I've seen just don't look that strong (not that you'd want to put too much weight back there anyway). You could add some straps that go up and hook to the rear trunk bolts.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 11:27 pm

Ari,
I saw a trailer built from an aluminum truck tool box... diamondplate and all! He took off one door and had it cut down so it sloped in the bow. He loaded it from aft. He had $400 in materials invested and used boat trailer wheels spinning on an axle under the box and on the outside of the box had fenders. Unfortunately it was stolen... so no pics. He had another $200 invested in the welder's work.. so for $600 he had a unique tow.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in