Thinking of a Trike - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Sep 27th, 2012, 9:56 pm Thread Starter

Question Thinking of a Trike

I am thinking of getting a Hannigan BMW trike. I've found an 05 LT with 23,000 miles. There is a Hannigan dealer close to me who seems to be quite knowledgable who could do the conversion. I saw one the he had just completed. Looked good to me.
I've not been able to find a complete rig for sale. I've not riden a trike. I did test ride the CanAm and did not like it.

I love my 06 RT but after the seminiar at CCR, my wife expressed interest in riding more.
I am thinking that riding 2 up would be easier on a trike. Stoppling to smell the roses is hard for me on the RT. Stopping, dismounting, and remounting is quite an adventure.

On my ride back home from CCR there was a couple on a Hannigan trike who made several stops at the same locations as I did. I should have tried to talk to them, but I let the opportunity pass. It was a black Lt with a trailer.

Any advice? Anyone unhappy with their trike? Have on for sale?

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 7:11 am

Re: Thinking of a Trike

We saw a BMW trike at the Shreveport dealer a while back and my wife fell in love with it. She's really pushing for me to get a trike now. She has bad hips & knees (too many horse accidents) and getting on and off the trike was way easier on her than getting off and on a bike.

We test rode the Spyder RT, and although it was nice, it wasn't for us. There just didn't seem to be as much room as there was on the trike.

Let us know how you like it if you get to test ride one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #3 of 25 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 10:37 am

We had our 2007 LT converted by Hannigan about 6 months ago. We enjoyed the LT for almost 5 years. It got to be a challenge 2up and my wife had some knee issues and so we made the decision to go with the trike. Hannigan did a wonderful job. It didn't take me long to adapt to the operating differences. It is different; no counter steering; lean into the turn; watch those rear fenders at gas pumps. My wife loves it. Added arm rests for her. Much easier for her to mount and dismount. Much easier for me stopping and making uturns. We rode ours for 2000 miles on our CCR trip this year and had a ball. Glad we did it.

Ray

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black

post #4 of 25 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 3:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

...and I was going to make a smart ass comment about all the trouble Artie Johnson had with his trike on Laugh In.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #5 of 25 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 3:51 pm

We converted our 06 3 CCRs ago, road 400 mile to get it done ,
First Time on one was on return trip on I-80. Found out fast that no counter steer. I would suggest the extra fuel tank and a trailer hitch add ons. I change the front tire out every year for my peace of mind.

We run 2-4 over the posted on the slab.

Dark Gray Lt. with Black B.T. trailer (her stuff)

I Would do it again.

Dennis
post #6 of 25 Old Sep 30th, 2012, 8:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Deb and I had our conversion done in July of this year and can say we really enjoy it. On the long trips and straight roads or in any kind of slow or stop and go traffic it’s great. It is so effortless when loaded as you’ll never feel top heavy again. Takes a little time to get used to the steering and we do miss the lean factor, when it comes to twisty’s and the fuel economy. But as I get older I had to make a decision if we wanted to continue to ride long trips on 2 wheels with this fully loaded almost ¾ ton monster. I still have my KGT for short sprints and can still stay proficient for 2 wheel enjoyment. There are other benny’s to conversion, don’t ever have to worry about the final drive failing, finally got those rear brakes to stop squealing in addition to the load balancing act. On the recent 2 day trip to Shenandoah NP and Virginia area we did about 720 miles in 2 days and felt relaxed the whole time even though we were carrying a lot of weight. Good luck with your decision, I know we don’t regret it………………….Rob and Debbie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shenandoah-1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	36659  

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
post #7 of 25 Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 12:49 pm

Sounds like CCR is the culprit in these trike decisions. I promised my wife that when I got back from CCR(6900 miles/26 days) I would get serious about a trike. We have been looking, trying and discussing for over three years now. We tested LT Hannigans, GW Hannigans and the Spyders. The Spyders were out easily as the rider passenger comfort didn't seem to be there. Tested a $54,000 GW and didn't like it at all. Tuned exhaust system inside that fiberglass hull just didn't resonate at all. We did buy Rich Cohen's 2002 LT Hannigan and are loving it. First ride was 900 miles of hard rain then 450 miles of backroads. About 2 miles from the house my wife told me she didn't want to see the trip end. She is very happy. I ordered the armrests, have a J&M intercom from my 1300GT to use and would like to find passenger footrests that can be lowered slightly. I am keeping the 1600GT for two wheeled riding. Thought long and hard about having the 1600 triked as Hannigan will go into production the first week of January.
Any help in finding passenger footrests that can be lowered is appreciated.

Don Smith
post #8 of 25 Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 4:43 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Don Look HERE

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 25 Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 4:57 pm

Hi Steve
I relooked there and did find the Illuim works set that does lower the passenger's footrest by 1 1/2". I didn't see that set when I perused the site.
Thanks

Don
post #10 of 25 Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 6:23 pm

Once it has more then 2 wheels, I am taking the cage!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #11 of 25 Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 1:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
Initially that's what I thought about a trike, that it wouldn't be as enjoyable as with 2 wheels. But you still have the wind in your face and can take in the sights, sounds and smells, (both good and bad), whether it be 2 or 3 on the asphalt. I do try to ride every chance I can, although it isn't nearly as much as I'd like due to either too much work or not enough money! Guess it all depends on your perspective of traveling the open roads…….

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
post #12 of 25 Old Oct 5th, 2012, 9:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebiss9
Initially that's what I thought about a trike, that it wouldn't be as enjoyable as with 2 wheels. But you still have the wind in your face and can take in the sights, sounds and smells, (both good and bad), whether it be 2 or 3 on the asphalt. I do try to ride every chance I can, although it isn't nearly as much as I'd like due to either too much work or not enough money! Guess it all depends on your perspective of traveling the open roads…….
My post mostly had my tongue planted firmly in my cheek!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #13 of 25 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 6:00 pm

I have had my trike about a year and find that the wife loves it, it is much more safe than the 2 wheel version ( had too many of close calls as I got older) and is great for long distance. If interested, go to the web site triketalk.com.....loads of info on trikes in general.
post #14 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 12:57 pm

Thumbs up Re: Thinking of a Trike

I've made more than my fair share of asinine comments regarding trikes. But the bottom line is simply this: When me and the little lady get older, and it's just not fun to ride a motorcycle any longer due to balance issues, we'll be on a trike ... in less than a New York minute. It's a no-brainer.

- Joe
post #15 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 4:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
I've made more than my fair share of asinine comments regarding trikes. But the bottom line is simply this: When me and the little lady get older, and it's just not fun to ride a motorcycle any longer due to balance issues, we'll be on a trike ... in less than a New York minute. It's a no-brainer.
Wow, what an out of character comment from Macho Joe.(LOL)
If we live long enough and want to keep the wind in our face then Trikes are the way to go.

Don S
post #16 of 25 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 3:28 pm

I just had my 09 triked by Coach Rice trikes near Atlanta (even thiugh Hannigan actually did the work). I rode a Spyder for a day in Panama City Beach Florida and after about 6 hours could not wait to get back on my LT. My wonderfully supportive wife felt the same way. THEN I test rode a Hannigan Trike and decided it was the right choice. Living in northern Ohio we do not get many good riding days this time of year but I have managed 300 or so miles , some on the twistiest roads I could find in the Mohican area. So far we love it. As others have mentioned we miss the excitment of the leans but I do not miss the 2 MPH uturns , parking lots and traffic jams. I've dropped the beast for the last time. Now gravel, sand, and leaves in the road don't scare me. After 40 years of riding I am comfortable with the decision and by the way get nothing but compliments about the trike. My advice....make the decision before it is made for you.
post #17 of 25 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 10:54 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: Thinking of a Trike

I am now about 1/3 of a trike owner. I bought the 2005 LT and ordered the Hannigan kit.

The kit should arrive at the dealer in late November and be finished by Dec 14,2012.

I have signed up for a 3 day trike class Dec 28 - 30.

Just finished installing blue tooth on both helmets. Have not tested yet. A few weeks ago we rode the LT for about 4 hours. Barb seemed happy with the LT--she does not like the RT. I had one scary minute at a stop sign, but did not drop it.

I have not decided on how to install the gps. I like the BMR shelf. I had it on the other LT as well as the RT. But it seems somewhat hard to install, think I will discuss it with Lone Star Saturday. Does anyone have the cradle for the Zumo 550? I could then move the Zumo from bike to bike easily

[
]
post #18 of 25 Old Nov 1st, 2012, 9:23 am
Lifetime Supporter

Eric, GPSCity.com has the cradle for about $57. You'll also need to buy your favorite mounting hardware for where you want to place it. Those parts are online or you can run up to Bass Pro in Grapevine Mills. They have all kinds of GPS mounting hardware in the boat section.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #19 of 25 Old Nov 1st, 2012, 4:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSuz
...I have signed up for a 3 day trike class Dec 28 - 30....
Wow! the MSF? course to regain my motorcycle endorsement wasn't that long.
Are trikes that hard to figure out? Just askin'.

Also, for those of you who have test drove the Can-Am Spyders, what did you not like about them? Please elaborate. I think the touring/limited models look awesome.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #20 of 25 Old Nov 1st, 2012, 7:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
I'm with you on this one...
post #21 of 25 Old Nov 1st, 2012, 9:55 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: Thinking of a Trike

As I understand the training, based on talking to the dealer, there are many skills to unlearn and then learn new techniques.

One example: on a bike to turn left on a secondary road curve, we start on the far right side of our lane. On a trike we start the turn on the left side of our lane. The reason is the slight hump that develops in the center of our lane. The technique places the front wheel just to the left side of the hump to take advantage of the slope--sort of like the NASCAR banked track. My dealer demonstrated that on my test ride--it was very noticable.

In my mind that explains why I had so much difficulty with the Canam.

It is my understanding that trikes never ride side by side since the trike is always searching for the best part of the lane--trikes need the whole lane. of course, the trike is 5 feet wide.......

The instructor only allows three trikes in each class. So there must be a lot to learn. I am looking forward to the training.

[
]
post #22 of 25 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 9:11 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Congrats Eric. Now you can bring Barb to the New Years Day Run in Waco. Plus we can get a look at your new to you wheels. All 3 of them.

BTW I'm looking at different places beside Hooters for this New Years Day. Not that anything is wrong with Hooters but I know it does keep a few members from making the RTE.

Stevie Shreeve
post #23 of 25 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 9:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn

BTW I'm looking at different places beside Hooters for this New Years Day. Not that anything is wrong with Hooters but I know it does keep a few members from making the RTE.
But what else is open on New Years day that we can all fit in? Whataburger will not hold us all.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #24 of 25 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 9:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
...BTW I'm looking at different places beside Hooters for this New Years Day. Not that anything is wrong with Hooters but I know it does keep a few members from making the RTE.
And what would that be? The lack of hooters or the mediocre food? or both?

All I ever saw in those joints the few times I went was Hooter wanna-bees.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #25 of 25 Old Mar 25th, 2014, 11:55 am

I have a new 2014 K1600 with Hannigan Trike conversion on order from Green Bay BMW. They tell me it is done, so as soon as the ice is off the roads, I am going to get it.

I fell a few times in Oregon last year on the way to CCR (a rented bike, but still writing on the wall and all that), so I am excited.

David Tilsen

My 2014 K1600GTL - Hannigan Trike is my baby and I am LOVING it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in