Unigo hitch height question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 18th, 2012, 2:21 pm Thread Starter

Unigo hitch height question

I have ordered a Unigo trailer from the manufacturer and unfortunately their production schedule did not quite hold and this will cause some timing problems for my Central Europe trip. I ordered the trailer with primer paint only as this was supposed to speed up the manufacturing time with 4- 5 weeks and I am going to have the trailer painted locally...

Anyway, I want to prepare my Dauntless hitch before the trailer arrives so I would need a measurement from other Unigo owners:

What is the proper height to install the Unigo bike side coupling? Taking measurement from the ground would give various results depending if the bike is on the center stand, side stand, loaded or not etc. so if possible I would prefer the measurement taken from the bottom edge of the trunk to the upper edge of the Unigo receiver,

Thanks in advance for your help guys! Dimensions in inches or cm or mm goes fine...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 21st, 2012, 5:31 am

Re: Unigo hitch height question

I have a Unigo and a Dauntless hitch but ours is on an R1200RT so I'm afraid I can't help you with your question. I'm not supprised by Unigo's delay in shipping your trailer, it's what their infamous for. I too ordered one directly from the manufacturer and was bombarded by delays and lies and finally ended up getting my money back. It was just a twist of luck that one of Unigo's dealers had some in stock and that's how I ended up getting one. Then the trailer didn't come with it's "certificate of origin" which is needed for getting it licensed. It took months and finally threats to get it from the manufacturer. A few years ago Unigo was sold to another person and it's interesting to see that things have not changed. I really hope that you get your trailer soon and this isn't the beginning of a long drawn out mess. Such a shame because they have a good product.

Stephen

2006 R1200RT
2010 Unigo Trailer w/Dauntless Hitch
post #3 of 12 Old May 22nd, 2012, 2:26 pm Thread Starter

Hi Stephen,

thanks for your comments. I got somewhat concerned of them especially since I had difficulties reaching the "sales dept" of the company...
After some wasted phone calls and long waited emails I finally have received confirmation from my shipping company in Melville NY of the arrival of my trailer. So now it is looking quite promising...The package is now in the hands of the air freight company.

Hopefully they will not break/loose/scratch my Uni-Go. Oh well, scratching doesn't matter, it goes to the painter anyway...

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #4 of 12 Old May 24th, 2012, 9:14 pm

Garage

The bottom holes for the receiver on a Unigo Hitch on a K1200LT is 41.5CM from the ground. and the draw bar setting should be 3. The position of the draw bar counts down from the top set of hole in the chassis.

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!
post #5 of 12 Old May 26th, 2012, 3:37 pm Thread Starter

OK, thanks Bill! Should I consider the measurement taken bike sitting in "riding mode" (not on the centerstand, rider/passenger on board) or was it on c/c?

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #6 of 12 Old May 26th, 2012, 5:19 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
OK, thanks Bill! Should I consider the measurement taken bike sitting in "riding mode" (not on the centerstand, rider/passenger on board) or was it on c/c?

Regards
Bike was on the center stand with the rear tire pulled down the touch the ground. You will find that the receiver height is not very critical.

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6

post #7 of 12 Old May 27th, 2012, 2:27 pm Thread Starter

All clear now, thanks Bill.
I just received a note from DHL stating that my trailer has landed in Helsinki, so I will be able to see it live in a day or two...

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #8 of 12 Old May 28th, 2012, 3:16 pm

Garage

Enjoy!

Have friends that would like a Unigo let me say that I can do the deal just like the factory. And I answer the phone..

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6

post #9 of 12 Old Jun 30th, 2012, 8:38 am

hi i have a dmc hitch/dauntless and i have two receivers one for the unigo & one for my bushtec i called dmc & they sell just the receiver seperatly i just ordered one.
they are very diffrent the unigo insert is strait & the bustec has about a six inch drop
i will go out and tak some pics
post #10 of 12 Old Jun 30th, 2012, 8:46 am

took some pic,s of the receiver hope it helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch 001.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	708.0 KB
ID:	35767   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch 002.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	772.9 KB
ID:	35768   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch 003.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	850.6 KB
ID:	35769  
post #11 of 12 Old Jul 1st, 2012, 12:45 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for your pics Bob:

Sorry for not updating this thread earlier but I have already my Uni-go and I have been able to check the hitch height in reality.

I have to say that using a Dauntless / DMC Motors hitch with Unigo leads to a situation where:

1) You have to install the Unigo towbar in the lowest possible position on the trailer side.
2) Still you need to install rather long vertical extension to the Dauntless receiver or towball hole to get the Uni-Go bike side receiver on correct height.

Now the answer to my original question is:

The distance from the UPPER edge of the Uni-Go bike side hitch plate to the UPPER edge of the LT tail light assembly should be not much more than 430 - 440 mm. And this is with the Uni-Go towbar in it's LOWEST installation holes. Otherwise Uni-Go rides too low and you might scrape the bottom of it in bumps etc.

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #12 of 12 Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 6:43 am

You might need this site for future reference. Great people to deal with.
http://www.hitchanything.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in