Rigging an LT Sidecar - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 3:48 pm Thread Starter

Rigging an LT Sidecar

OK....I'm looking for stuff I should know about and don't but here goes. I have a '99 LT and like it just fine. I've had a '92 GL1500 Wing and a California Friendship III sidecar that I've been waiting to put together as my next sidecar rig. I have a set of GL1500 specific mount components, etc. and my winter project was to "build" the rig, including an EZsteer front end mod to the bike, etc.

However, I keep looking at my LT thinking that could be an ideal sidecar hauler too. I know I need a subframe and some other custom bits. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of sources of these components, or is my only choice a custom shop. I know one very reputable outfit in PA that would assemble the rig for me and fabricate all the necessary frame and mounts. I'm just wondering if there is "any" source for those things so I could assemble the rig myself? I have manuals on sidecar rigging and testing, and have access to a professional machine and weld shop when that becomes necessary. I just wonder if anyone sources subframes somewhat like the old EML packages that came for the K1100 and K100 bikes?

I'll probably keep to the original plan of the GL1500 - F3 rig, but....thought I'd ask.

Thanks for any knowledgeable feedback.

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 5:01 pm

Re: Rigging an LT Sidecar

I have a Hannigan attached to mine and all I can tell you is, the LT handles it just fine, but I can't help with components-sorry.
post #3 of 14 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 5:45 pm

Contact David Hough up in Washington state......
He speaks @ rallies re: hacks and knows all the sources.......
I know, contact how ???????
I don't know ....do a search.......................
I'm sure David would be glad to help.............

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 10:56 pm

Saw this in Germany last year looks like my 99 LT less sidecar.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #5 of 14 Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 12:42 am

I just removed the sidecar from my LT two days ago. I had it on for 2-3 weeks cuz I had a sore right leg.

If I had the choice I would have 2 LT's. One with the sidecar and one without. My SC is a Hannigan 2+2 and is very nice. I have the disc brake and electric camber adjustment both of which I highly recommend. The problem I have with the sidecar is that it takes all the handling fun out of the LT. On the highway it handles very well but in town it takes a lot more work to do turns. Hard on the arms!

The sub-frame is quite extensive on the LT but it allows for 10 minute off/on which is very nice.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #6 of 14 Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 7:17 am

Hi Jeff,

As you know I went through this thing recently. Best I came up with other than a custom job like Claude offers, is a sub frame from Dauntless (DMC). They are close to $700.00 . Some time back Loren was kind enough to take a lot of photos of his rig and gave me lots of food for thought. In the end, I decided to forget using the LT as a tug (due to cost and complexity) and I bought a Triumph for the purpose. Jay at DMC can provide you with everything you need to DIY, but it aint cheap.

Good luck,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speedmaster & side car 2.JPG
Views:	1198
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	33632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speedmaster & Side Car1.JPG
Views:	1366
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	33633  

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #7 of 14 Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 7:22 am

Jeff,

Here are some photos of the DMC sub frame for the LT. Looks like it would take a custom JIG to fabricate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0823.JPG
Views:	2150
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	33634   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0825.JPG
Views:	628
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	33635  

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #8 of 14 Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 7:28 am

Gary, any idea how they got a car tire on the back of a LT like the one in your pictures in Germany??? Chuck
post #9 of 14 Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 8:41 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
Jeff,

Here are some photos of the DMC sub frame for the LT. Looks like it would take a custom JIG to fabricate it.
Bill,

Those are the bits I imagined existed somewhere and would like to get. Thanks for a solid lead.

To others who've commented to my inquiry with useful ideas, thanks. I'll decide which bike becomes the "hauler" soon.

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
1995 R100GS
post #10 of 14 Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 8:44 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffer101
Gary, any idea how they got a car tire on the back of a LT like the one in your pictures in Germany??? Chuck
Chuck,

Here in this part of the US a guy named Claude Stanley is well known as a sidecar expert. If I paid someone to rig my setup rather than assemble it myself, I'd get him to do it. His small company offers several products, including car tire rims for LT's.

Here's some links to his operation:

http://freedomsidecars.com/parts/par...formation.html

His wheel rims:

http://freedomsidecars.com/parts/wheels.pdf

Regards,

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
1995 R100GS
post #11 of 14 Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 10:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Claude does good work, & he knows his stuff. He would do a good job on your LT if you went that way..But..

I think I would use the Honda as the tow bike, & keep the LT to ride solo. You have the EZsteer, & all the other stuff for it . I have a Hannigan 2+2 on my LT. I put Hannigan's steer lite & heavy duty front spring, & it handles a lot better with the front end work done.

With the front end changed I can only ride my K1200LT as a sidecar rig. You will be in the weeds if you try to ride it as a two wheeler..I know a guy that thought he could ride his Honda as a two wheeler with a EZsteer on it. That didn't work out for him...He Totaled his bike.. ...

I also have a 2010 R1200GSA Adventure to ride solo. If my wife is going we take the rig, if not I take the Adventure. Works for me, your results my vary.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #12 of 14 Old Nov 24th, 2011, 11:16 am

Jeff,

One guy I forgot to mention is Gary Greene in Iowa. I have bought most of the attachment fittings from him at a very reasonable price. He is very knowledgable and very forth coming with advice and information. He does NOT do the sub frames however, and gets them from DMC. You might want to give him a shout.

Gary Greene [email protected]

Happy Thanksgiving,

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)

Last edited by Boatzo; Nov 24th, 2011 at 11:25 am.
post #13 of 14 Old Nov 24th, 2011, 12:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
Jeff,

One guy I forgot to mention is Gary Greene in Iowa. I have bought most of the attachment fittings from him at a very reasonable price. He is very knowledgable and very forth coming with advice and information. He does NOT do the sub frames however, and gets them from DMC. You might want to give him a shout.

Gary Greene [email protected]

Happy Thanksgiving,
Thanks Gary. He's someone I wasn't familiar with. Sourcing hardware will be important at some point.

Take care

Jeff

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
1995 R100GS
post #14 of 14 Old Nov 29th, 2011, 3:33 pm

Thinking it might be kind of cool to have a car tire on the back of my rig so I checked out the site mentioned below.

This is a quote from the site: "Typically, for instance, on a BMW the rear wheel conversion is typically in the 800 dollar range for bikes that have the brake rotor on the rear end housing. If the brake rotor is attached to the wheel itself we use a much more involved wheel manufactured by David Hinze called an Advantage Wheel. These wheels are around twice the price due to the brake rotor situation".

They justify the advantage based on increased total mileage and the low purchase price of the car tire. For this kind of money I would have to convert the LT to full time hack use and I am not willing to go this route.

I think I like it the way it is!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamrider
Chuck,

Here in this part of the US a guy named Claude Stanley is well known as a sidecar expert. If I paid someone to rig my setup rather than assemble it myself, I'd get him to do it. His small company offers several products, including car tire rims for LT's.

Here's some links to his operation:

http://freedomsidecars.com/parts/par...formation.html

His wheel rims:

http://freedomsidecars.com/parts/wheels.pdf

Regards,

JD

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in