What trailer is best? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 11:54 pm Thread Starter

What trailer is best?

I'm thinking about getting a trailer. Have heard a lot of good things about Bushtec, but am confused about which model to get. Maybe I should look at a different brand. What is your favorite brand and model?

Mack
2005 K1200 LT Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 5:27 am

I only have one trailer, a Bushtec Quantum, and I am very pleased with it. I have not pulled that many other trailers, but if there are some that are better than the Bushtec, they got to be real good.

I have the Bushtec trailer hitch as well, but do recommend something different. Dauntless hitches are popular and I am sure somebody can give some info for you as well.

Stefan
post #3 of 40 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 7:35 am

Which Trailer to pull?

We have a new SST (Slip Stream Transport) with matching K1200LT tail light. Please check out this page of our web site about why we have been hauling SSTs for a couple of years.
http://www.ridingiswonderful.com/rid...linc/id40.html

post #4 of 40 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 8:30 am

What Trailer is best?

I also have a BushTec Quantum and am satisfied that it establishes a benchmark for motorcycle cargo trailers - that meets my requirements and that is the key. I looked at the Unigo when I bought my BushTec - It was/is a great little trailer - but the operative word for me was "little" - too small...I looked at the Hannigan Trailer and like the rest of their products, it is a beautiful trailer but had a higher empty weight than the BushTec and the same gross weight - thereby a smaller useful load. I also preferred the larger wheels on the BushTec. The SST was not available when I purchased the BushTec, but it is a very good looking trailer. I admire folks who have the skill to build their own trailer and have looked at the pics and description of the one mentioned above, many times...
In the final analysis, the best trailer is the one that is best for you. The one you can afford that meets your rrequirements in size, style, features, weight and weight carrying capability. The reputation of the company and the experience of those you trust. I have pulled my BushTec all over the country and have enjoyed it very much. Good luck on your choice and I think you'll love the option of being able to take a trailer when you need it.

Tim Halpin
Norther, VA
01 K1200LT
02 BushTec Quantum
79 R100RS
BMWMOA +30
AMA
post #5 of 40 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 8:50 am

Bushtec Trailers - Don't buy online 2nd hand - buy new

I also have a bushtec turbo plus 2 trailer. I purchased mine second hand. The carry capacity is good. But, I have had one heck of a problem with the air assisted suspension system. The system simply will not hold air. And if there is no air, the wheels camber in on the top. I have been forced to stop on a number of occassions to put air in it. It just leaks out after a short time.

I contacted bushtec on several occassions and they attempted to be helpful. I have replaced the shocks and have gone through the air lines more then several times found leaks and repaired them until there were no leaks in the lines. But, the thing simply won't hold air. We have replaced the bleeder valve for the air intake, but that didn't resolve the problem either I guess I will have to go through it and replace all the air lines. I havent done that .. But I am not sure if that will do it either.

I have used the trailer a total of about 5500 miles so far and it carries the capacity that I need. I also have the bushtec hitch that works fine.

My suggestion is that if you are going to buy one, buy it new from Bushtec or one of its representatives. I bought mine second hand from a private individual that owns a big rig trailer business in North Caronlina that was very motivated to sell and work hard to get it crated up, etc. He seemed like a nice enough guy but I am not sure if he was totally above board with me on the condition of the trailer since I had this problem since my first test trip.

As I said, the people of Bushtec have tried to be helpful, but I am not in Tennessee. I have attempted to solicate help on the road with repair from one professional mechanic, but he was also not able to resolve the problem.

If I were going to buy another trailer, I would still consider Bushtec, but I would buy new with a warranty.

Good Luck
post #6 of 40 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 9:14 am

Thumbs up Best Trailer

I pulled a single wheel trailer over 70,000 miles behind a Ultra Classic and I'm getting ready to set it up on my new LT. Youu can't feel this trailer behind you in corners because it leans with the bike. Check it out, you won't be disapointed. http://www.n-line.com/
post #7 of 40 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 9:27 am

Hi Mack,
Haven't posted in a while, but highly recommend BushTec Quantum also. Was pulling one in my accident last year in Missouri, and without a doubt the trailer and heim joint keep the bike from flipping on my after I high sided off the bike. Bike and trailer both totaled but I'm alive and still riding. The Quantum looks good, pulls extremely well and carries everything but the kitchen sink, well, I've been accused of bringing that too! They are good folks to deal with and the price is high, but the trailer is a premium design and well finished. My only cavet is the latch cover in the inside will sometimes get pushed so that it hard to open the lid. I fixed by using stainless steel nuts and bolts to attach with big fender washers to spread out the stress. Works like a charm now. Now have thousands of miles and extremely happy. The only downside is paying tolls...What a rip off, but had that with the sidecar rig also. Have the BushTec hitch, and have used the HitchDoc hitch. Both are fine but have to be removed to change tire. Would use a Dauntless hitch now. Good luck..you won't be unhappy...Best, Bob
post #8 of 40 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 11:31 am

I just about fainted when I priced a factory built trailer that I knew I would only be using a couple of times per year. I decided to build my own, and although it was a pretty long project the end result was worth it. One mod I incorporated inside is multiple nylon tie down straps with quick release buckles to snug the load down tight - not only does it keep things in place I believe it makes it safer to tow as well.

You may want to go over and lurk around the motorcycle trailer towing forum for a while at http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing/start

A great resource to help you decide what route to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer side view.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	158   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer rear quarter view.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	159   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer rear view - long.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	160   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer rear view - close and large.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	728.9 KB
ID:	161  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 40 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 12:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgaither
I'm thinking about getting a trailer. Have heard a lot of good things about Bushtec, but am confused about which model to get. Maybe I should look at a different brand. What is your favorite brand and model?
Another Bushtec Quantum owner here.

Bushtec is basically the benchmark for the others. Definitely pricey.

Reasons I have one: The air suspension and large diameter wheels provide the most stable/safest tow out there (not saying the others are unsafe, but this is the safest). John Preston demonstrates the unit by lifting it 3 feet off the ground and dropping it -- it doesn't bounce. Stop and imagine the demonstration -- and think about the significance the stability. This is exactly what I want behind me, not something on a short/stiff spring arrangement that is hopping around at every bump. The large diameter wheels also offer the benefits of easier/smoother movement through/over potholes, lower rotation speed than those tiny trailer tires (lower bearing stress/wear), and less tire flexing/heat build up on each rotation (fewer rotations/mile, less flexing due to larger radius. Add in the basic "bathtub" shape (no "pockets" or "ledges" to interfere with loading) and high build quality, and I was sold.

HTH,

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Last edited by mneblett; Oct 6th, 2005 at 4:58 pm.
post #10 of 40 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 2:09 pm

Unigo

I'm happy with my UniGo. Light, easy to tow and not big enough to seriously overload the bike. The nice thing about a single wheel trailer is if the bike misses the pothole, tiregator, jagged piece of iron, land mine, whatever - the trailer will miss it too. With a two wheel trailer, one of the combination vehicle's four tires will probably hit it.
post #11 of 40 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 3:40 pm

I'm looking to buy a trailer next spring. I'm interested in the Bushtec Quantum and the Unigo. The problem with Unigo is availability at the moment. I've heard rumors that someone is supposed to start selling and/or producing them here in the states soon.

Round Mountain, Nevada

Current Bikes

2002 BMW K1200LTE (Silver)
2005 Triumph Speed Triple
2000 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
2008 KTM 530 Exc-r
1995 Suzuki DR350S
post #12 of 40 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 4:36 pm

"The air suspension and large diameter wheels provide the most stable/safest tow out there (not saying the others are unsafe, but this is the safest)."

No doubt about that! Whenever I know I am going to hit a large pavement gap I grit my teeth and hold on tight because my trailer WILL go airborne for a second. If you are leaned over at the same time the whole rear end of the bike will wallow as well - spooky. I have been able to mitigate this a bit by lowering the pressure in my trailer tires to accommodate the weight I am carrying - but it is a hassle and kind of a guess each time I load it. I also have only a single leaf spring set that will accommodate 250 lbs. max each wheel, so it does tend to ride well, but I always worry about busting a spring during a hard impact....if that happens I am screwed, glued and tattooed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #13 of 40 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 4:41 pm

Bushtec Quantum

Mack,

I have a Bushtec Quantum that my wife and I pull behind our LT. I spent years looking at trailers and tried to analyze it in every way. In the end, I kept coming back to the Bushtec. It is a premium product (with a premium price). However, I have never regretted my choice. It can carry plenty of stuff for two people and pulls very nicely. It looks good and has been backed with parts and service. Good luck with your decision. I have not regretted mine.

Charles Keller
post #14 of 40 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 5:40 pm

Mack, I ordered a new Bushtec Turbo +2 in early July and will take delivery this Saturday. I ordered it with all available options ($4,075) plus a chrome hitch purchased used for $250. I have never owned or pulled a trailer, my wife is to blame for this purchase. I'll post my thoughts over the weekend as to how it works out. Good luck on your purchase!
post #15 of 40 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 5:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrisjr
my wife is to blame for this purchase
I recall talking or exchanging e-mail with Bruce before he made his decision -- don't you begin to believe this was all his lovely bride's doing

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #16 of 40 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 6:59 pm

Smile What trailer is best?

I don't know what trailer is best....but I just picked up my color matched Bushtec Quantum on 9/23/05 and have over 1,500 miles with it in tow. I have been on the "slab" and over the twisties through Yosemite and Westguard Pass, etc. I am impressed. I was told that I would be frequently checking to see if the trailer was still attached....didn't believe him....but I was frequently looking because I couldn't believe it was still there.
Next to the LT this is the best decision I've made.
post #17 of 40 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 10:39 am

Unigo availability

Schoolhouse Motorcycle Accessories has purchased the UniGo business and all the tooling. They hope to be in production early next year.
email Mark at [email protected]
post #18 of 40 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 6:05 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm very impressed with those people that built their own trailer. You may have a calling. However, I don't want to take time away from all my other hobbies to build one though.

Can anyone tell me the differences between the Bushtec models? Seems like a lot of Quantums, but a few of the other models were mentioned, too.

Thanks again.

Mack
2005 K1200 LT Graphite
post #19 of 40 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 6:16 pm

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the input. I'm very impressed with those people that built their own trailer. You may have a calling. However, I don't want to take time away from all my other hobbies to build one though.

Can anyone tell me the differences between the Bushtec models? Seems like a lot of Quantums, but a few of the other models were mentioned, too.

Thanks again.
This is over-simplfied, but the Quantum is basically a Turbo2 with all the options you would probably add to the Turbo2 anyway , plus more recent styling (Toyota Camry taillights, IIRC).

The restyling also nets a tiny bit more room. A decked-out Turbo2 and a Quantum end up being pretty close in price if you have the Turbo2 color matched (the Q included color matching, ~$500, 4 yrs ago when I bought mine).

The top Bushtec was a *lot* more money for, IMO, not much more substance -- mostly styling, and just about *every* available option included as standard. In my case, there were a number of options included that I didn't want, so the Quantum was the "best buy" for me.

p.s. -- Buy the accessory cooler that rides on the goose-neck -- relatively cheap, and you'll thank me every time you take a trip with it

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #20 of 40 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 6:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
This is over-simplfied, but the Quantum is basically a Turbo2 with all the options you would probably add to the Turbo2 anyway , plus more recent styling (Toyota Camry taillights, IIRC).

The restyling also nets a tiny bit more room. A decked-out Turbo2 and a Quantum end up being pretty close in price if you have the Turbo2 color matched (the Q included color matching, ~$500, 4 yrs ago when I bought mine).

The top Bushtec was a *lot* more money for, IMO, not much more substance -- mostly styling, and just about *every* available option included as standard. In my case, there were a number of options included that I didn't want, so the Quantum was the "best buy" for me.

p.s. -- Buy the accessory cooler that rides on the goose-neck -- relatively cheap, and you'll thank me every time you take a trip with it
If the Quantum is an upgraded Turbo, then what is the Genesis?

Mack
2005 K1200 LT Graphite
post #21 of 40 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 6:59 pm

Bushtec -just-might- have saved my life.

My wife and I were pulling our Bushtec trailer and found a bunch of 6" and bigger rocks that had rolled down a cliff onto the road. I avoided -most- of them but caught one with one of the tires on the Bushtec trailer. The Bushtec wheel broke and the inner tube popped. But because they were 16" wheels the wheel continued over the rock and we weren't jerked violently because of it. I shudder to think of what would have happened if we had 8" or 12" wheels.

Despite the broken wheel (a piece of the rim was broken off the Bushtec wheel) and a blown inner tube we were able to continue on to our destination for the night about 25 miles down the road. Could we have done that with a trailer with "car tires"? No way. But then I'm not sure we'd even would have been alive to have the choice.

Anyway, with a phone call to Bushtec the next morning they Fed-Exed us a new wheel and tire (the inner tube was even inflated to the proper amount) I removed the old one and installed the new one and we were off and rolling again.

I'll assume someone will make the stupid comment about 8" and 12" tires being available everywhere so you would better off with those. Once again we might have been DEAD if we had those. So I say, "small tires are stupid." Just my opinion. Anyway, once we got home we ordered a second Bushtec wheel (with tire and innertube) as a spare. I doubt I'll ever need it but it will be there just in case we or friends with a Bushtec need it.
post #22 of 40 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 7:23 pm

At $26.00 a piece, including the rim, I have never had a problem towing with 8" wheels/tires - even hitting big potholes.

They have several other distinct advantages:

1. They have a much larger footprint. Instead of a contact patch the size of a quarter mine are about 3" by 1". More rubber on the road than skinny tires equals more grip. I can fly through corners without even a thought of the trailer losing traction.

2. I carry a spare wheel and tire UNDERNEATH my trailer. If one goes flat or gets buggered up I am on my way again in about 10 minutes.

3. I can vary the tire pressure from 15 lbs up to 40 lbs to accommodate different loads and eliminate bounce - the same way an expensive "air suspension" does.

4. Those cheesy tires that fit on the 8" rim are load rated to about 5 times what I could possibly carry in the trailer. I like having that much overkill.

5. Smaller wheel means a MUCH lower center of gravity for the trailer. Lower CG improves handling dramatically.

6. With some silver spray paint ($5.00) and chrome lug nuts ($6.99) they even LOOK good too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trailer wheel.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	311   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer rear view - long.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	312  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Oct 11th, 2005 at 7:29 pm.
post #23 of 40 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 7:33 pm

Smile

Quote:
I pull a Bushtec Turbo +2. I have used this trailer since 97 when I bought it new. I have had no problems,usually pull it 1-2k a yr.Last yr. pulled to Wyoming,had three couples stuff and was grossly overloaded. It made a real believer out of me.I have since installed an air compressor onboard trailer so that I can adjust air from saddle. I have been around other brands,and all will do the job. I would buy Bushtec again.
post #24 of 40 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 8:07 pm

Quote:
If the Quantum is an upgraded Turbo, then what is the Genesis?
The top Bushtec I was referring to -- all the bells & whistles.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #25 of 40 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:02 pm

Dauntless hitch/Bushtec trailer handling issues?

I have been following this thread with interest as I am making preparations to ride to the Houston Texas area next Monday to pick up the used Turbo I just bought on E-bay, I considered the HF/sears combo but knew that what I really wanted was the Bushtec so rather than compromise I decided to go for it because style matters and money well ... you can't take it with you.
If this trailer lives up to its expectations, next year we'll replace it with a color matched Quantum. Some of you may have read my earlier post regarding the Bunkhouse camper I just sold. (Great camper but too heavy for me) and I also posted a question regarding my Dauntless hitch/Bushtec pin configuration. I posed the same question to John Preston (owner of Bushtec) and he replied with a "caution" some K12LT riders have had serious handling issues with the Dauntless hitch.
I don't mean to hijack this thread but do any of you Bushtec trailer pullers have a Dauntless hitch on your K1200LT, do you have any handling issues?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ab_12.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	322  

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #26 of 40 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:24 pm

I also decided to build mine. It uses (2) 29X22X10 o-ring sealed Samsonite Oyster suitcases and a JC Whitney travel trunk that all unlatch and go into the motel room with you. I am working on a cover to keep the road grime off the cases but have not had time to finish that as of yet.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trailer.JPG
Views:	373
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	323  
post #27 of 40 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Some of you may have read my earlier post regarding the Bunkhouse camper I just sold. (Great camper but too heavy for me) and I also posted a question regarding my Dauntless hitch/Bushtec pin configuration. I posed the same question to John Preston (owner of Bushtec) and he replied with a "caution" some K12LT riders have had serious handling issues with the Dauntless hitch.
I don't mean to hijack this thread but do any of you Bushtec trailer pullers have a Dauntless hitch on your K1200LT, do you have any handling issues?
I have the Dauntless hitch and previously had the Bustec hitch on my 2000 LTC. I have had no problems with the Dauntless at all. I did have problems with John Preston and the Bushtec hitch from day one. They never got resolved and I am not a customer of his any longer.

I have pulled 3 different trailers with the Dauntless so far. My 1995 Bunkhouse, a 250 lb. homemade that I built in 1991, and my new open suitcase trailer that is shown in my other link. All have handled excellent.

Ron
post #28 of 40 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:57 pm

That trailer is WAY too cool!

Your design inspired me to thinking about building a mono wheel with the two suitcases located on racks OUTSIDE the wheel for an ultralow CG. Toss a front LT fender on the wheel for looks and an LED taillight/turn signal combo on the rear... Instead of the Oysters I was thinking about something a bit more rugged - unfortunately they do not look quite as good:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cases, heavy duty luggage style.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	325  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #29 of 40 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 3:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
John Preston's comments are news to me; I've never heard a *single* complaint about the Dauntless hitch.

I have a Bushtec hitch (which, for the record, I *really* like), but I usually recommend the Dauntness hitch to most folks.

I don't have the Bushtec for handling reasons. The Dauntless wasn't available when I purchased by Bushtec. However, I've stayed with the Bushtec largely because I really like the way the Bushtec hitch looks on the K12 -- seems to "balance" the chrome muffler on the left side to my eye. Nonetheless, If I had not already invested $500 in the Bushtec, I would have had to give the Dauntless a long look -- the removability is a *big* plus. In order to enjoy the aesthetics of the Bushtec, I have to be willing to put up with removal of the Bushtec hitch in order to get the rear wheel off. For me, that's not a big deal -- an extra 5 minutes or so, but I can see lots of folks not willing to put up with the hassle.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #30 of 40 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 6:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
That trailer is WAY too cool!

:
Thanks.....That picture doesn't show the lights , but they are on the top of the fenders. When not in use it can be stood up against the wall for storage. It is only 6' 3" long and has 12" wheels. I used half torsion axles for the suspension.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uphill.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	330  
post #31 of 40 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 8:15 am

Hannigan trailer

I purchased a Hannigan trailer (Euro style) back in 2000 and hauled it to Alaska and back(along with my wife).Been using it every year since to travel cross country too.The only maintenance has been the wheel bearing change every 20,000 miles. Great trailer, lots of cargo space, low profile, hardly know it's back there.Heim coupler is the way to go also, no sloppy hitch.

Geo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Prairie.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	331.3 KB
ID:	343  
post #32 of 40 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 2:00 pm

Quote:
At $26.00 a piece, including the rim, I have never had a problem towing with 8" wheels/tires - even hitting big potholes.

They have several other distinct advantages:

1. They have a much larger footprint. Instead of a contact patch the size of a quarter mine are about 3" by 1". More rubber on the road than skinny tires equals more grip. I can fly through corners without even a thought of the trailer losing traction.

I can't disagree more. Trailers don't need grip. They do need the least resistance which the Bushtec tires give you. Plus they don't hydroplane like "car" tires do.

2. I carry a spare wheel and tire UNDERNEATH my trailer. If one goes flat or gets buggered up I am on my way again in about 10 minutes.

The Bushtec Tire and wheel are super flat and very easily store on the floor of the Bushtec trailer. No problem at all.

3. I can vary the tire pressure from 15 lbs up to 40 lbs to accommodate different loads and eliminate bounce - the same way an expensive "air suspension" does.

The suspension on Bushtecs are super easy to adjust. Just as easy as adjusting a tire and you only have to adjust one thing and not two tires.

4. Those cheesy tires that fit on the 8" rim are load rated to about 5 times what I could possibly carry in the trailer. I like having that much overkill.

The Bushtec tires are 6 ply. What ply are yours?

5. Smaller wheel means a MUCH lower center of gravity for the trailer. Lower CG improves handling dramatically.

That would be true if the bottom part of your trailer was as low as a Bushtec trailer.

6. With some silver spray paint ($5.00) and chrome lug nuts ($6.99) they even LOOK good too.
Another thing. Maintenance is very low on Bushtec trailer. With sealed bearings you don't have to take them out and repack them. And sparying the suspension with lube takes a total of 5 minutes.

I know a few people that have pulled their Bushtecs behind their Wings for over 80,000 miles and they still have the original tires. They just don't wear out very easily and yes they still have plenty of tread.
post #33 of 40 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 5:18 pm

I have the Bushtec hitch and I cannot see too much going wrong with it. Which does not mean that others have not had problems with it. However, the one I have do indeed perform exactly as to what was promised and it looks good also, if that is a thing to desire.

I would really like to know the detail of the "hitch problem" and John Preston.

My experience is that they back everything they do and sell more than 100% and I have nothing but praise for how they do business. Everything has been straight forward and on the up and up from day one. At least in my case.

Which for the next trailer purchase rules out all the others. Not saying that the other mfgs are inferior, but Bushtec have given me everything I could wish for in the product and what the company stands for.

Just my $0.02......and I am not biased....really, just happy with my purchase

Stefan
post #34 of 40 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 5:27 pm

I have an Escapade only because I bought it used. It was 13 years old when I bought it & I put about 50,000 miles on it since, never packed the bearings, still on original tires. If I had to buy a new one it would be the Neosho Starlight for under $1,000. 4 people in the group I ride with have one. I saw one of them hit a curb, flip the trailer (swivel hitch), never affected the bike. I have $1,500. double axle trailer with brakes that can haul a dozer, I'm not paying $4,000 for a rolling suit case.
post #35 of 40 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 5:51 pm

Garage
Trailer

In the latest BMW ON mag, there is a picture of a trailer someone made out of a Diesel Truck gas tank. It looks almost like a 55 gallon drum cut in half and bolted to some wheels. The picture is in the Beemerville Rally gallery. There is actually a brief article about it.

If I had a scanner at home I would post it. Maybe tomorrow when I'm in the office.

My description doesn't do it justice. It look very cool! I was just concerned about gas fumes- especially diesel gas fumes. That stuff is hard to get shake.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

Last edited by RVB1019; Oct 13th, 2005 at 5:53 pm. Reason: Typos
post #36 of 40 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 7:17 pm

" I can't disagree more. Trailers don't need grip. They do need the least resistance which the Bushtec tires give you. Plus they don't hydroplane like "car" tires do."

Trailers don't need grip until you need to make a quick move to avoid an obstacle, or if you don't enjoy spirited riding. Just like trailers don't need internal tie downs to keep loads from shifting - the "dead blow hammer effect". Rolling resistance is more dependent on tire pressure and weight versus width. I avoid riding in the rain as much as possbile, even then hydroplaning is not an issue as long as there is adequate tread depth to shed water. I think large diameter motorcycle wheels and tires LOOK much better, but it is simply nothing more than a marketing ploy - and a pretty good one at that.

"The Bushtec Tire and wheel are super flat and very easily store on the floor of the Bushtec trailer. No problem at all."

Except that it takes up valuable cubic feet INSIDE the trailer.

"The suspension on Bushtecs are super easy to adjust. Just as easy as adjusting a tire and you only have to adjust one thing and not two tires."

No doubt about it - I would rather have a dedicated and purpose built air suspension - but at what cost?

"The Bushtec tires are 6 ply. What ply are yours?"

Mine are 4 ply - and I can buy 6 ply - but they are rated to carry 1,250 lbs. I would guess that is double the weight rating of most motorcycle tires.

"That would be true if the bottom part of your trailer was as low as a Bushtec trailer."

You might have me on that one. But once again my crappy single leaf spring suspension cost $26.00 - a tenth of what a torsion bar suspension costs - and weighs 1/6 of a torsion bar suspension. I would rather carry gear than suspension components that are totally over engineered for the application.

I think Bushtec makes a quality trailer and are damned good looking - probably the best on the market. If I was touring all the time it would probably make sense to invest $4,000.00 for - as Big E notes - "a rolling suitcase". My bet is that most mc trailers are used once a year - maybe twice.

What I have a major problem with is you proclaiming that smaller wheels are more dangerous than large ones - with absolutley no evidence to back it up. If you queried the thousands of members of the Motorcycle Trailer Towing Forum:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing/start

- or searched any past posts there for the last couple of years - you will find that there really have NEVER been ANY problems going low budget and low tech when pulling a trailer with small wheels and cheesy tires - period. It is, after all, just a trailer.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Oct 13th, 2005 at 7:56 pm.
post #37 of 40 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 7:24 pm

Garage
I remembered a website I used to visit when I owned my Vulcan 800 Classic. Here is Gadget's plans for a trailer:

http://www.gadgetjq.com/trailer.htm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trailer_cooler1.jpg
Views:	1387
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	352   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer_toolboxes_front.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	353   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer_toolboxes_open.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	354  

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #38 of 40 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 8:36 pm

Quote:
I think which trailer would depend on how you travel and how much you want to carry.... I like the Bushtec and ZZ Trailer and have seen some really nice home builts..

I like my Unigo because:
Tracking
Small
Can carry all I need
Can go thru any motel doorway
Can go up or down any elevator
Will park in the corner of motel room, lock up your stuff...

and you get a lot of "what the hell is that?" of which I one time replied...that is the engine and the good ole boy, took off his cap, spit and turn to his buddy and said..."yep, I see that universal joint now"...

I made a quick exit....

Happy Trailering...

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #39 of 40 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 9:05 pm

Quote:
I think Bushtec makes a quality trailer and are damned good looking - probably the best on the market. If I was touring all the time it would probably make sense to invest $4,000.00 for - as Big E notes - "a rolling suitcase". My bet is that most mc trailers are used once a year - maybe twice.

What I have a major problem with is you proclaiming that smaller wheels are more dangerous than large ones - with absolutley no evidence to back it up. If you queried the thousands of members of the Motorcycle Trailer Towing Forum:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing/start

- or searched any past posts there for the last couple of years - you will find that there really have NEVER been ANY problems going low budget and low tech when pulling a trailer with small wheels and cheesy tires - period. It is, after all, just a trailer.
Amen!

Folks, there is NO "right" answer here -- homebuilts work fine; Bushtecs work fine. There are plusses and minuses to both, and it doesn't make any sense to try to say one is "better" than the other.

My comments at the top of this thread about the advantages of the Bushtec wheels and suspension were just that -- discussion of what I see as some of the Bushtec's advantages -- not a condemnation of others' choices. They did *not* say that the small wheel trailers are "lousy" or "dangerous" -- just the reasons *I* prefer the Bushtec approach.

Let's just acknowledge that different people have different needs/desires, and make their trailer choices accordingly -- and move on.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #40 of 40 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:08 am

Bushtec

I own a Bushtec Genesis. Bought is three years ago. I though way too much money when I wrote the check. After three years I would buy Bushtec again. It is a superior product that will serve your needs, tracks perfectly behind, has many safety features, and is beautifully built.

Jim Andrews
Woodland, MN
2003 K1200 LTE
2014 Honda NC700X DCT
2010 Aspen Classic Pop Up Camper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in