Just Got My New Trike - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Nov 13th, 2011, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

Just Got My New Trike

Hi Group, This weekend I just picked up my converted BMW 05 LT to BMW 05 LT Hannigan conversion from Blue Moon BMW in Norcross GA. Rode it back to VA Beach this weekend. While I had the trike training, it sure was different in real life, especially in the curves of North Carolina Rt 221...man, what a workout with the push and pull (even with the EZ rake. Loved it in Atlanta Traffic, stuck at road construction and numerous time when I needed to do a quick U to get on the right road. I am sure that in time, I will get use to the feeling /fear of being thrown off the bike going around curves. Also found out it does not fit in the garage with my other car...so it looks like I have to find a home for it outside...am looking a the "Bike Barn" site. Anyone have any experience? Am looking forward to communicating with my new group of two up/3 down friends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8960.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	33542  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Nov 14th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Just Got My New Trike

Congrats on the purchase!

On the workout you have to remember that the handlebars extend way back from where they pivot. You don't "turn" them you move them back and forth (left to right) more like a rudder. Otherwise you are fighting yourself! Took me a while to get used to that.

My wife still isn't convinced she won't fly off (or have it flip)!!! And we've logged almost 10,000 miles on it. When I'm alone I can get a rear tire in the air (low speeds, lot's of throttle and turning very sharp) but you have to work at it. Herb the owner GrassRoots BMW in Cape Girardeau, MO (where I got mike) used to work for Hannigan and says he can take them around curves faster than most people can the 2 wheelers (never ridden with him to prove it!) But they do stick the ground quite well.

The only other thing we have done is get a Russell seat (both actually) and that has made a world of difference for the longer trips. No more dead butt after an hour!

----------
Dave

2008 K1200LT Hannigan Trike
1991 K75RT (RIP)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Nov 14th, 2011, 10:28 am

Should have looked at the picture first! Looks like you already have a aftermarket front seat.

The other thing is the GT mirrors - I'm not sure how tall you are but for me the stock mirrors were blocked by the handlebars (or more correctly the brake and clutch levers) You can either lop the end of the lever off or put the handlebar mounted mirrors from the GT on it. I really like having the 4 mirrors. Can see just about everything behind me now.

Great looking trike. I wish I had the grey the "midnight black" I have only looks clean at midnight!

----------
Dave

2008 K1200LT Hannigan Trike
1991 K75RT (RIP)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Nov 15th, 2011, 12:38 pm

You'll love it. I never have lifted a tire. Spun the tire a little on a sharp turn while gassing it, but besides that, it sticks in the curves really well. Regarding your recent email, the bolts that hold the tail light are on each side of the light on the inside of the trunk behind the carpet. Allen head. Forgot the size. Good luck with the trike.

Randi Kobernik
2005 K1200LT with a 2007 Hannigan Trike Kit "The Dragon"

It is not wise to meddle in the affairs of Dragons for thou art crunchy and good with katsup.
post #5 of 8 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 7:56 am

As a new trike rider I would highly recommend taking the Side Car & Trike Education Program (S/TEP) if you can locate one in your area. Participating in this program will give you a huge jump on learning to safely handle and enjoy your new ride. As an added bonus your passenger can participate in this program with you and learn to be a better rider.

Check this Site for your area.

http://www.esc.org/step_national_schedule.php

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #6 of 8 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 4:50 pm

In tight curves, I lean to the inside and I like the feeling better.......
Give it a try................................

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #7 of 8 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

Re: Just Got My New Trike- response

Thanks everyone! It is great to be able to post on this site...I never did it when I had my RT and the LT. Trike is just different. Took it out for a short spin today and I think I am going to like it over time. I found if I lock my outside arm in a curve, I can do it better plus lean, plus brace the leg. I was able to go round curves almost as fast as when I did it on a two wheel.

Got the P-3 lights installed. It was a job...they were covered with some rubber compound and I had to work backwards with a mirror to get them out but I had success and they look great. I ordered the GS mirrors for better backwards visibility and next will look for a replacement lock for the Hanningan trunk...something with a handle as opening with a key is a pain each time.

[/IMG]
post #8 of 8 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 12:06 am

You will eventually like the trike...all of us trikers do! Welcome, and have a great time!

Jerry

BMWMOA # 134919
2000 LT Hannigan Trike
1986 Suzuki TM400 (gone)
1957 BSA 500 cc Twin (long gone)
1955 BSA Golden Flash (longer gone)
1950 or thereabouts HD 165 cc 2 stroke! (gone in 1954)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in