Question about trailer towing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:05 pm Thread Starter

Arrow Question about trailer towing

Has anyone out there towed a trailer with the LT. I would also like to know what the max weight that can be towed. Any useful information on hitches would be great as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:46 pm

I have a home-built that weighs 200 lbs empty and in the area of 320 to 350 lbs loaded. I have taken it up to 110 mph (gps reading) and you really don't notice it being back there.
Some things to remember though:
1-Leave yourself extra stopping distance !!
2-Keep at least 10% weight on the hitch - I try to keep mine at 35 lbs and I use an old-style chicken scale to check it each time I change the trailer load.
3-When "hot-dogging" corners you will feel some different forces at work (to be expected if you are pulling an extra 350 lbs) but they aren't outrageous.
I use a Dauntless Hitch and I like it.
You can see some photo's of my homebuilt at my website listed below my signature.
post #3 of 12 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 6:36 am

I have a Bushtec trailer and hitch. The Bushtec weighs about 150 empty, I'm guessing I've pulled about 300-350 at times with this setup. When pulling a trailer I keep 10% of the total trailer weight on the tongue as well. Use a fish scale that I keep in the trailer. The Bushtec has an adjustable air suspension that does not have any bounce at all or jerky movements caused by the suspension on other trailers that I have pulled. It comes as close as you can get to pulling a trailer without feeling like you are. I have been very pleased with the Bushtec after having pulled several other trailers.

I have pulled a QuickKamp trailer in the past with a total weight of about 500-550 lbs. Now, this you can really tell, but it was doable, just had to be more careful with stopping distances, starting and slow speed handling.

Randal Tebeau
Blairsville, GA
CMA National Evangelist SE Region
BMWMOA, AMA, ABATE
2006 K1200LT
1996 F650

post #4 of 12 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 9:12 am

Steve, There is a trailer sub forum to read through, where this thread will be shortly.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86
I sometimes think I would like to have Bushtec but that would be 46,874 miles of fuel. This is compared to my homebuilt at current fuel prices and mpg.
312 six packs of microbrew in a high tax state.
62 bottles of single malt (not my good stuff)scotch in same high tax state.
You get the idea.
So do I, It's time to get the hell out of this high tax state.

Rick
post #5 of 12 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:35 am

BIG thing is use the isolater relay - both Bushtec and Dauntless have them - to protect the LT's sensitive electrics. Many great miles on the Bushtec trailer/Bushtec hitch, and with the 02 and later brakes, I REALLY don't know it's back there! After getting used to the extra weight, I've found I can ride just as hard with or without the B following me!

Happy shopping!!

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #6 of 12 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 4:21 pm Thread Starter

Smile Thanks Everyone

Thanks to everyone with the information about trailer towing it has really helped
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 8:13 pm

Trailer towing question

I have a home built trailer (150# empty) . I 've pulled it for about 2years. plan to pull it to MOA rally this year. Last year whiel pulling to Lima, my wife complained of surging from the trailer. I don't seem to feel it while riding. Is there something that I can do to minimize the surging.

thanks Mark

Mark West
99 K12LTC
ride ride ride let it ride
216k and counting
post #8 of 12 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 9:20 am

Another vote for Bushtec here, they're expensive but worth every penny.

The LT is powerfull enough to tow anything you want to,
the heavier the trailer the more you sacrifice performance.
My first trailer was a Bunkhouse camper, great camper but much to heavy (225 empty) add to that just about everything imaginable you can stuff into the cargo hold (We had a 5000 btu air conditioner) etc. etc.
My wife and I took it on a 3 week trip from Florida to the U.P. of Michigan and back and I sold it.
Man I hated pulling that heavy ass trailer around.
Now I know this statement is going to bring out the ones that say: I've been pulling a Bunkhouse, Aspen, etc. etc. for years without any problems blah blah blah.
Hey I'm happy for you, I hated the damn thing.
Next I got a Bushtec Turbo (125 empty) with air suspension,
this thing handles great, can't tell its back there.
What really impressed me was when while going through a grocery store parking lot over the speed bumps, I felt the front wheel go over, then the back and was waiting for the whiplash jerk my Bunkhouse used to cause going over the speedbumps and it never came,
the Bushtec's air suspension is that good, sweet.

Here is a link to a trailer towing forum for all kinds of bikes,
you'll find information overload and opinion overload just like here, enjoy.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mai...towing%2Fstart

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #9 of 12 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 9:42 am

Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoSpgs_K1200LT
Has anyone out there towed a trailer with the LT. I would also like to know what the max weight that can be towed. Any useful information on hitches would be great as well
The max weight depends on if your a stunt pilot or not.
I have had a total weight of about 800lbs, for a very short trip. Taking bundles of Cyclesource Magazine to Thunder in the Valley. Wont do it again, and I am a test dummie,
speed is great if you have the tires and brakes for it. Most trailer tires are not rated for over 80mph, trailer brakes can be very useful.
Handles okay most times, (I always seem to get myself into some bad situations, have had to use rachet tie down straps to recover it, from a short cut, long story)
For hitch, I would look at the dauntless, you can find some for less money, but it's ease of poping the rear tire make it well worth the price.

I now have Aspen Ambassador, I think they are over priced new, so would buy a used one if I was looking.
Rock
post #10 of 12 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:35 pm

Wink Question about trailer towing

I towed a home built, about 350 to 400 lbs. with my K100rt. Towed fine for the most part. Problem is in turns. I could feel it pull the K around in turns. The harder the turn the harder the pull. The trailer was sliding in the turns. I started at 35 psi on a Florida to the west coast trip. When the wife and I arrived at Moro Bay the pressure in the trailer tires was down to 12 psi. At one psi per day it took a while. From there to Oregon and back to Florida the trailer was a joy. I'll just say that tire pressure can make the difference between a very pleasant trip and more excitment than you would like.
post #11 of 12 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 11:32 pm

weight on the hitch?

What does it mean when everyone is talking about keeping 10% weight on the hitch?
post #12 of 12 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 7:02 am

10 % of the total weight of the trailer should be the maximum weight on the tongue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in